PDA

View Full Version : Site Issues

Nevander
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Recently I have noticed that every time I come to this site, my CPU Performance goes if not to 100%, pretty close. I think it is the ads that load that have so much in them. Mozilla has even locked up once because of my just having x360a in one window and YouTube in another. I have checked everything, no viruses, nothing weird, so it must be the ads or something on this site that is slowing things down.

SuperNova X2X
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I never have any trouble with the site. My computer is running normally. My old one used to do this though, I think I dumped the thing.

kiwi18
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I checked my laptop when running the site and it is only at 32%. This is with Youtube and MSN open. Weird...

Marx0r
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Recently I have noticed that every time I come to this site, my CPU Performance goes if not to 100%, pretty close. I think it is the ads that load that have so much in them. Mozilla has even locked up once because of my just having x360a in one window and YouTube in another. I have checked everything, no viruses, nothing weird, so it must be the ads or something on this site that is slowing things down.

Is it possible that your computer sucks?

Eternal
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
It is probably because your computer has very low RAM or is even low on harddrive space. My old laptop would run sooooo slowly if I had more than one program open.

Skillet
10-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Your CPU sucks... plain and simple. Has nothing to do with Hard Disk space or RAM.

I have a couple old-ass processors including a K6 at 250 MHz and a couple old Pentium IIs at around 300-350 MHz... they all suck when accessing this site.

But this computer from 2004... which is a Dell... and has a Pent IV running at God-knows-what runs fine with x360a, bungie.net, iTunes, Photoshop and a random number of MSN Messenger windows open.

So save up some cash and either:

1: Buy a new processor or

2: Buy a new computer.

That should fix your problem. ;)

master_shake_350
10-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Is it possible that your computer sucks?

Lol straight up in his face! Nice one!

But like people said get a new computer/laptop.

My old desktop doesn't even hit 100% on this site.

AOS Puck
10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
If your computer maxes out when accessing this site and YouTube at the same time, it's a sign to upgrade.

I'm currently running Firefox, Winamp, MSN, AIM, AutoCAD and I'm varying between 1% and 3% CPU Usage.

Falcongale
10-10-2008, 05:46 AM
If your computer maxes out when accessing this site and YouTube at the same time, it's a sign to upgrade.

I'm currently running Firefox, Winamp, MSN, AIM, AutoCAD and I'm varying between 1% and 3% CPU Usage.

Bullshit. Running AutoCAD you should be running at least 15-25% and using Windows XP it runs at 1-2% usage either way.

And before you say 'but I've got an uber setup' - so do I. I'm running 64bit w/4 gigs of low cas timing low response RAM and a E6850 running at 3.4GHz.

-

Also, the original poster never specified what his specs are or what he was running other than his browser. No-one mentioning Memory leaks? No?

Firefox has a shit awful habit of leaking memory non-stop. Every tab you open, close, move to another browser window all gets built up in your main memory eventually being stuck unusable by Windows until Firefox is closed - this might be the OPs problem.

So my advice is: post your pc specs and also maybe try using Google's Chrome browser.

AOS Puck
10-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Bullshit. Running AutoCAD you should be running at least 15-25% and using Windows XP it runs at 1-2% usage either way.

And before you say 'but I've got an uber setup' - so do I. I'm running 64bit w/4 gigs of low cas timing low response RAM and a E6850 running at 3.4GHz.

http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Ecajoker1999/CPU%20Usage.jpg

Like I said, 1%-3% CPU Usage.

Tron
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
have you tried using another browser? like FalconGale says, Firefox can take a dump on your e-life from time to time.

best bet is to try IE w/o add ins and work up from there. If it works ok, go to Firefox. If you have any add-ins for firefox i would disable them one by one and see if or when you have better performance. narrow down the points of failure.

and lets stop the computer dorkesque flaming. the guy has a problem with software, which only nubs solve by getting a new computer without researching cost effective fixes first.. lets try to be helpful and not douche bags.

Falcongale
10-11-2008, 04:21 AM
http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Ecajoker1999/CPU%20Usage.jpg

Like I said, 1%-3% CPU Usage.

Try rendering with it and not just minimized.

Nevander
10-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I can tell you guys right off my computer does not suck. If I can run games like Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source full graphics with no lag or memory jogging then it doesn't suck. My specs are:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
1.83 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
RADEON 9800 Pro
SyncMaster 932GW(Analog)

Like I said, I believe some of the ads on this site is jogging it up because right now my usage is less than 10% with no ads showing, while on a game forum page, with some Knight Rider flash animated advertisement, my usage is dead on 100%. Also, like I said, this is the only site it gets jogged up on. Tell the advertisers to get out of here...

Scotian Bred
10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Well I can tell you guys right off my computer does not suck. If I can run games like Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source full graphics with no lag or memory jogging then it doesn't suck. My specs are:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
1.83 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
RADEON 9800 Pro
SyncMaster 932GW(Analog)

Like I said, I believe some of the ads on this site is jogging it up because right now my usage is less than 10% with no ads showing, while on a game forum page, with some Knight Rider flash animated advertisement, my usage is dead on 100%. Also, like I said, this is the only site it gets jogged up on. Tell the advertisers to get out of here...

The ads are not going anywhere, you would be silly not to have ads on a website that has over 100K members and probably millions of hits per day from non-members.

It's called money baby, and why is it that when people have an issue they blame this site. :p, this site works fine for me, besides the odd time the servers are swamped. But other then that this site loads fast and browses fine.

If your specs are legit then your having a conflict in your system, some things just aren't compatible with others no matter how new, or top of the line they may seem. I can gear up computers, but I also need to be able to have it right in front of me with case open, I could go on for quite a long time writing, going through the possible source of the problem. Its to difficult to try and guess what it could be. But the ads, I highly doubt that.

CovertDog
10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Tell the advertisers to get out of here...

And you will pick up the lost revenue? This site is barely making enough on advertising and subscribtions to make ends meet now.

AOS Puck
10-12-2008, 05:49 PM
If you really think the Ads are the problem, add AdBlock to your Firefox and start blocking them. If it fixes the problem, good, if it doesn't it's time to dig deeper into your computer.

Nevander
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I think I know what the problem is. It IS an ad, but only one. That Knight Rider ad that uses Flash. When that ad is up I check performance and its at 100%. I go to another page on this site without that ad being up and it's at a good percent. The problem with blocking the ads is that they always come back in a different place or they can't be blocked or something stupid. I right-click on it to block or look for the tab but it isn't there. Everything else on this site is perfect, it's just that one ad...

EDIT: I can confirm that this Ad IS the problem. I had it up and had 100% CPU performance, then Blocked it with Ad-Block and performance went way down. Thank you guys for all your help!