PDA

View Full Version : Selling games to GameStop

Ry Fryy
10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
The other week I sold Pro Evolution 2007 to GameStop. I wasn't expecting much as 2008 was out and 2009 is on the horizon. So they gave me $3.30, and that's with the 15% Edge card. I didn't think much of that. Then I came back a few days later to trade-in The Golden Compass. They gave me $2.60 for it. I was a little surprised at that. But not as surprised when they gave me freakin' DOLLAR for Beowulf.

Sure, those last two games are complete and udder shite, but that's just ludicrious. If I go back there and I see Beowulf being sold for more than $10 I might just punch the store manager. Is GameStop getting more tight in the ass about trade-ins because of the economic slump?

muffinmastergw2
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
from what you said, you cheated yourself out of some more cash for your games.

whenever you trade with gamestop, make sure you trade 2 or 3 games at a time. They generally give you the 20% with your edge, PLUS $10-20 extra for getting rid of 2 or 3 games at one time.

Da CRU Mughhh
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Yea gamestop is cheap, that is why i keep my games.. try selling them on ebay.. maybe as a package.. or i dont know if you have Gamefly but you can alway trade them in there, however the money only goes for your membership.. but its still a good deal. cause you get double what gamestop would give you! i check those games you listed and their trade in value is $6 and some change.. just an idea though

wubb
10-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Sell your stuff on eBay if you are old enough and have the patience to put up with it.

$1 for a 360 game is nuts.

jukkakhan
10-08-2008, 06:36 PM
You realize that's how they make their money, right? Newer games trade in for like $25 and they sell for $55, and that's pretty much all profit for Gamestop. You're better off putting stuff up on ebay, craigslist, or even Goozex.

And I just checked Gamestop's website, they sell Beowulf for $9.99.

StolenKyle/
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
In Canada we don't even have GameStop. We have EB games, I don't know if that's worse or good. We also don't even get Gamefly I really wish we did, because its bult for gamerscore whores lol.

Tussell
10-08-2008, 08:42 PM
In Canada we don't even have GameStop. We have EB games, I don't know if that's worse or good.
It's neither bad nor good really... EB Games is a division of GameStop.

WRETCHES
10-08-2008, 08:45 PM
See the problem is you need to trade in for rentals at blockbuster...they give you ALOT of money...i just got $9 for Shadowrun!!! Its 2008 and that is an old mediocre game...!

neok182
10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
yea i don't trade anything in to gamestop either anymore and hell i work there. Only time i'll trade in is when you get an extra $10-$20. then it's worth it.

androsmere
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I quit trading my games in at Gamespot a few years ago when I realized I was getting screwed. Now I sell all my games on ebay. You can research completed listings before you sell to find out approximately how much you will get. On a few occasions I have sold a game on ebay for MORE than I paid for it. That means I was getting PAID to play that game (or at least that's how I look at it)!!!

Dude Rain
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Sell your stuff on eBay if you are old enough and have the patience to put up with it.

$1 for a 360 game is nuts.

This.

I stopped dealing with Gamestop a long time ago. Very occasionally, I'll buy a game from them, but that's if they're literally the only retailer in my area carrying the game I'm looking for.

I'll never buy used from them, either, as I can always find a better price at half.com or amazon.

Hammer 5O2
10-08-2008, 09:59 PM
In Canada we don't even have GameStop. We have EB games, I don't know if that's worse or good. We also don't even get Gamefly I really wish we did, because its bult for gamerscore whores lol. actually we do have our own gamefly in Canada. Its called GameAccess

IMAMEX
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Man it pisses me off to read these threads cause I hate seeing people get screwed by gamestop. You guys should try to sell your games on Craigslist. you get at least double sometimes triple what you would get from gamestop and you get to meet all kinds of colorful people.

jokuer
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
yeah I just quit after getting jipped for selling them my Assasins Creed

SeiferA
10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
If I had a dollar for every time Ive seen someone complain about Gamestop's trade-in "deals"...

... well, you know where I'm going from here.

jorGe62990
10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
It really depends on the game, but 95% of the time you won't get more then a few bucks even for quality games, so don't even waste your time.

OzzieDreamer
10-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Use Craigslist, eBay or Amazon! Goozex is also good for getting trade-in points towards other games..... Gamestop has to make money to keep their stores open and you are paying for that when you trade in your games there....

JesusBread
10-09-2008, 12:52 AM
People have to learn when trading into gamestop.

EDGE card is 10% and make sure you trade games when promotions are going on!

Right now, for every 2 games(360, Wii and PS3 only) you trade in you get a bonus of $10 credit.

I usually buy games with gamestop coupons and when I'm done I trade them in for only a $3-$4 loss. Not bad at all.

Peace
10-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I sold Madden 06 on Craigslist for $100! Of course, the caveat was that my girlfriend would deliver it naked. I haven't seen her since actually... Probably in a shallow ditch somewhere... Note to self, don't send any more naked girlfriend to deliver games to "pedophiletherapist13," I don't think he's a psychiatrist. Moral of the story, sometimes Gamestop is the lesser of two evils... SOMETIMES!

gatorbait
10-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Only time to ever consider trading games in there is when they have a promotion where they'll give you an additional amount of credit or extra percentage of trade in credit. Gamestop has always been terrible about trade ins so it's your fault. I guess though considering the games you gave them they did you a service by at least compensating you for getting rid of them, haha! Always sell online!

xymon81
10-09-2008, 05:32 AM
they have always been cheap but yes recently it has gotten worse. i noticed it with movies not games.as i buy the box sets of DBZ as thier released, i take the older versions to gamestop. i was getting between 1 to 3 buck per disk. this last time they told me that it was like 60 cents a disk. but its store credit or whatever so i dont care. it helped me buy my 120 g drive.

TatteredRagDoll
10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
I know a lot of GameStop stores were phasing out DVDs, which could possibly have something to do with the drop in value.

That, or just the fact that DBZ sucks. LoL

Slarak
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
A recommendation I just want to throw out there, DON'T DEAL WITH GAMESTOP! There are so many other ways to get games and trade them in.

You could sign up with Gamefly and buy games from them. For example, I bought Blue Dragon for $30 a week into its release and got Crackdown for only $10. All of which were in great condition.

Buy and sell your games on ebay. If you wait a week from a games release you can generally get a game for $15 cheaper than retail price. Also if you purchased a game brand new and beat it you can sell it online for damn near the exact price you paid for. I don't even charge for shipping because its never higher than $3.

Another method alot of people are doing is Craigslist. Its somewhat alot simpler as you can just meet someone in your city and exchange that way. A bit risky in my own opinion because you never know what kind of person your going to meet.

I haven't shopped at or traded a game in to Gamestop/Eb Games in years and you can really see a difference in a matter of weeks depending on how many games you buy.

Falleron
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Gamestop always gets so much hate for buying games back at low prices....You know why they do it? Because people keep selling them for the 3.50, 2.60 and 1 dollar. If your really that upset with it don't sell it back to them for that low and it will either force them to raise the price on the amount they are taking for that game or use one the interwebs to sell it.

You just need to be smart about purchasing your games, I go to gamestop for games like Fable2 and Fallout3 because i know i'm gonna keep them but if you are gonna play a game like beowulf, rent it from blockbuster or gamefly...paying 60 bucks for movie-games is pretty much asking to throw your money away

Skillet
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Basically, if you're going to sell a game to Gamestop or EB... make sure it's less than a month or two old.

Gamestop was paying $44 for Ninja Gaiden II within the first two months of it's release.

Now, I think it's under $25.

So buy a game, play the snot out of it then sell it early. That's the only way you'll get anywhere with Gamestop.

Another thing that I've seen people do and even been told to try at my local Gamestop by the employees is to buy used games that you might not keep. You can bring a used game back to Gamestop for ANY reason within 7 days after the purchase date for a full refund. It's practically a rental service.

jakekh1983
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
skillet is right about buying used games and taking them back within seven days. most games you can finish in seven days no problem. I've gotten twenty-two of my fifty games this way.

DigitalFury
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Another thing that I've seen people do and even been told to try at my local Gamestop by the employees is to buy used games that you might not keep. You can bring a used game back to Gamestop for ANY reason within 7 days after the purchase date for a full refund. It's practically a rental service.

I do this constantly, but when I bring it back for the full refund, I buy another used game for a like $2 more, trade it back in a week later and do the same thing. Each time, the amount of my credit goes up by a small amount, and when my wife asks how much I spent, I say, "Only like $2." So, it's not like she can be mad. That's how I paid for Fable 2, and my wife was none-the-wiser.... heh

master_shake_350
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Dam I wish I could trade my games in where I live. HMMMMMM I might start a game rental kiosk.

Deyankees1
10-09-2008, 07:31 PM
You do have to put in account the games you sold are pretty old. I sold Mercenaries 2 yesterday towards my Gears 2 Reservation and I got $38. $32 for the game and the extra 6 were from Promotions. Which is not bad considering the fact that I got Mercs2 for $30 new off Ebay lmao.

Subion
10-10-2008, 04:38 AM
I bought Pirates of the Carribean when it came out and beat it in 3 days, I took it to trade to Gamestop. I paid $60 plus tax they wanted to give me $15. I sold it on Ebay for $30. I talked to them the other day about possibly trading in my Wii fit and possibly Wii since I don't have the room to play it anymore. They wanted to give me $150 for Wii and $60 for the Wii fit. I checked on Ebay and Wii Fit was selling used for $140.

In the end I kept the Wii and Wii Fit. But, I wont trade anything into Gamestop again. The only good deal I got was a lot of 30 PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube games in and got $120 dollars.

MyAbsolution
10-10-2008, 04:56 AM
This is exactly why I dont trade in my games anymore... the trade-in prices they give you are basically 'bend over and take it'.

Ebay is a better option, as youre getting real money back, and can definately turn more bucks back into ur pocket than gamestop can.

TatteredRagDoll
10-10-2008, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't even sell on eBay until they fix their practices. Sellers can't leave negative/neutral feedback, so you're just asked to get your own feedback screwed.

ITD Soldierboy
10-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Heh, you atleast got one dollar for it. We buy them for 75 cents. But thats probably because you had your edge card. Its a rip off I know, but I get a good two-weeks pay check from those people who think its good.

CyanideBreathMint
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Gamestop? G'ah! I know it's convenient n' all but seriously, just use Craigslist like I always do.

I mean, you still have to travel to the mall to trade in the games anyways so instead, just meet up in front of the mall with whomever wants to actually pay you REAL money for your games and not get so savagely bumfuzzled by such stores.

TatteredRagDoll
10-12-2008, 12:49 AM
The thing is Craigslist isn't really a big thing everywhere yet. I hadn't even heard of it until I moved to Alaska, and I moved up here from Maryland.

Dodgekfc
10-12-2008, 03:01 AM
this is why i dont trade or sell my games to them anymore plus after
i had bought madden 08 when it first came out for 50 $ nd i needed
money so i went to sell it to them nd they were only going to give
me 25 for it nd i only had it for a week thats bull

Steve50013
10-12-2008, 03:05 AM
I asked a manager once why it was because I was able to sell super smash bros melee for $25 about a year ago and he said as long as the game still sells we will still buy it for alot.

I noticed that the games you listed are well unpopular games so I personally wouldn't be surprised about getting so little.

Smithaveli
10-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Sorry but if they would of offered me 1 dollar for a game, I woulda laughed right in their face and walked away. Then again, shame on you for buying beowulf..

Regardless of how unpopular the game is, if tis 20 bucks in walmart, put it on ebay for 10 bucks.. 10x the profit the hacks at gamestop would give you.

deej brutal
10-12-2008, 10:30 PM
i work there, and the only way i would trade in games would be if there is a promo going on like get an extra 15 bucks for trading in 3 next gen games. other than that its a waste.

Dodgekfc
10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
i work there, and the only way i would trade in games would be if there is a promo going on like get an extra 15 bucks for trading in 3 next gen games. other than that its a waste.
ya i have a friend that works there nd thats exactly what he said so that
is the only thing i would ever do if i turn in games there