PDA

View Full Version : Solo Hell

Jay747
10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay so i've been on the last gig of the expert guitar tour for a while now. I've completed three of the five songs and I can't seem to do "Highway Star" or "Green Grass and High Tides". The furthest i've got on both is 80% coincidentally. I even seen the last couple of notes of the "Highway Star" solo earlier on today but my bar crapped out on me. :(

It's the solos which are the major killers for me. I've had the game for a couple of months now but I don't stick at it, I'd maybe play it 2-3 times a week for 20 mins a session. I'm also new to these music games in general, never played the guitar hero ones before. So yeah i'm a bit of a noob and i'm really frustrated at being so close to completing the expert guitar tour yet so far away.

Anyway some advice on how to do these end solos would be appreciated... especially anything to speed my fingers up to hammer on and off! lol

SebastianSB
10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
It's a bit hard to say much more than practice...you're VERY new to the genre apparently so the fact that you're this far in the first place is astonishing. As far as the solos themselves, I would recommend doing them in practice mode. Take the speed down to 50% and keep at it until you get 100% or close, then move it up by 10%. Rinse and repeat until you reach 100% speed. It doesn't always work, but it definitely helps. GGaHT is bound to give you trouble. The second solo is pretty much in its own league compared to the rest of the game, especially the last 10% or so.

Shadow Of A Man
10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
YouTube - How to Beat Green Grass and High Tides

This is how i beat GGaHT

As for Highway Star do as Sebastian says then when you are confident go play the song and save your overdrive

SebastianSB
10-10-2008, 01:40 AM
YouTube - How to Beat Green Grass and High Tides (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGglBjdTi7M)

This is how i beat GGaHT

As for Highway Star do as Sebastian says then when you are confident go play the song and save your overdrive

Holy crap...I would have beaten GGaHT months sooner if I had seen that video. I had no idea you could get 3/4 of a bar from those notes between the two weaves. I don't think that video's been posted here before.

Shadow Of A Man
10-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Sorry I didnt post it earlier i found it a while back, while looking for FC's

bob150
10-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I think I'm gonna give it another go after seeing that video, I'm pretty sure I can beat it.

Jay747
10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
some useful posts here, thanks.

tried highway star earlier on today and i failed at 80% yet again. :(

the part in the solo where double notes of all the colours fly by so fast is what gets me. do you guys use alternate strumming for that part? i'm a bit of a noob at alt. strumming but i've heard it's useful.

fuzzy510
10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
some useful posts here, thanks.

tried highway star earlier on today and i failed at 80% yet again. :(

the part in the solo where double notes of all the colours fly by so fast is what gets me. do you guys use alternate strumming for that part? i'm a bit of a noob at alt. strumming but i've heard it's useful.
You DEFINITELY want to alt-strum that part. The important part for that is to treat it as if it's just one long series of the same note, and then just work on the fretwork.

Jay747
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
^that worked mate, cheers,

i only need to do ggaht now.

just attempted it there for the first time in a while and only got 61% of it done. :(

this will drive me insane, not because it's hard but because it's hard and the song is soooooooooo long. :(

JLogan27
10-11-2008, 05:55 PM
^that worked mate, cheers,

i only need to do ggaht now.

just attempted it there for the first time in a while and only got 61% of it done. :(

this will drive me insane, not because it's hard but because it's hard and the song is soooooooooo long. :(

At 61%, you aren't at the hard part yet. That comes at 82%.

bob150
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
At 61%, you aren't at the hard part yet. That comes at 82%.

Most people fail between 80 - 85%

JLogan27
10-11-2008, 07:33 PM
The other day I failed at 96%.

96%....

Dammit.

Jay747
10-12-2008, 01:54 PM
^yeah i did get to 80% before on ggaht tho, i seem to have gotten worse at the song somehow! lol

i think i may have to start from scratch as far as my playing technique goes. i'm weird in that i'll use my index and middle finger for almost any double note such as g+y, r+b, b+o etc. that works fine but on ggaht i just doesn't cut it as i end up missing a lot of the lower notes because it's too fast.

with that said, is there any guides/videos on the best way to use your fingers on the fret?

RickOfPompey
10-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I've only got GGAHT left to do on expert, it's kicking my ass everytime,

bob150
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I've only got GGAHT left to do on expert, it's kicking my ass everytime,

You're not the only one, A lot of people here have this song left, I can't do it, I can barely get 60% now.

DevilGuy
10-20-2008, 01:32 AM
The other day I failed at 96%.

96%....

Dammit.

My record is 95%. SO CLOSE!

DJSeth227
10-28-2008, 02:00 AM
after seeing that video.....................i have lost hope for ever getting expert guitar and platinium artist well there is plenty games in the wall-mart

kenjik
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I think i'll forward the video onto my rock partner who failed time after time on GGatHT on expert during the endless setlist with 8 (or so) songs left and 4 1/2 hours already put in I almost hit him in the face when he declared that he couldnt do it and he wanted to give up!

After rowing with him about how he says he finished all the GH's on expert including the Lou boss battle he confessed that he only ever finished them on hard and only said it was on expert so I'd be his friend...

...Havn't spoken to him since