PDA

View Full Version : Error E 74

Lightning360
10-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey I have been trying to fix error e 74 for quite a while now. Im pretty sure its the gpu because before it failed i was playing guitar hero and bright flashing lights did not stop flashing ever. so then i played halo and the graphics sucked. My warranty is up and it is not av cables because they worked on my friends xbox. If anyone can tell me what i have to do to the gpu please let me know because I am bored out of my mind.

edit- if anyone can please find a company that fixes them it would help, hopefully that gets xbox's as far as maryland and if u cant find me anyone then im screwed. Hey do you need to buy the extended 3 year warranty for red ring of death and if that microsoft warranty sticker is removed does that mean you cant get extended 3 year warranty?

BLAIR 007
10-10-2008, 01:08 AM
over clock it, some how? or underclock it.

Skillet
10-10-2008, 01:14 AM
There is no way to fix it...

Sorry, but if your warranty is up, you're screwed.

There are some other "tips" that float around but most of them don't work so I won't bother.

Eternal
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I read your blog Skillet and I've seen that you have add not one but two experiences with E74 ;) Basically, as Skillet said, you're screwed if your warranty is up but if you're still under it, time to take it to MS o.O

radar616
10-10-2008, 07:42 AM
You could do what I did with my last 360. I got so annoyed with it acting up and freezing, I smashed my fist down upon it so hard it instantly got the RRoD. I shouldnt of done that though because it took MS 3 weeks to get another one back to me.

JayToukon
10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah MS will just exchange it for you, send it back.

Mathematics
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Just got an E 74 on my main system a few days ago.

No warranty and MS wants 100 buck through the support site on xbox.com to fix it.

Thinking about just trading in a few games and buying an acrade for the same price and using the broken system as a doorstop.

Awesome.

JayToukon
10-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Try a new power cable. Borrow one from a friend and see if it works. Let me know.

Skillet
10-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Try a new power cable. Borrow one from a friend and see if it works. Let me know. E74 has nothing to do with the power cable. At all. It's either the AV/HDMI cable, the GPU or a scaler chip problem.

JayToukon
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Have you actually tried it though? Something i stumbled accross online....just pointing out it worked for someone.

Skillet
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Have you actually tried it though? Something i stumbled accross online....just pointing out it worked for someone. Yep, tried it with both of my consoles when they got E74.

JayToukon
10-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Fair enough. You coulda said that to be fair ;)

edd__
10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd check if it was still under warranty if i was you.
I rang up MS recently, and was overwhelming surprised how good their customer support was, and the guy was very helpful and told me that i still had warranty, which was great. 60 to repair it, took about 3 weeks. Job's a good 'un.

Skillet
10-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd check if it was still under warranty if i was you.
I rang up MS recently, and was overwhelming surprised how good their customer support was, and the guy was very helpful and told me that i still had warranty, which was great. 60 to repair it, took about 3 weeks. Job's a good 'un.
OP said his warranty is up... also, if your console was still under warranty, why did you have to pay to fix it? Or is that the shipping price?

onimod13
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
There are alternative sources to get your xbox fixed nowadays not just from microsoft.
Recently i took my little brothers to a shop nearby who took 35 and fixed it within a few hours.

Sabre Captain
10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I had the same thing happen. I can't get mine sent to MS, mine when bought( bought it used) was out of warranty. It was also had a modded case...all black with a glass side panel and blue electric fan.
So the only choice for me is to bring it into a shop. Although Im not about to do that because since then...I have gotten an arcade system and have everything as a backup now...like the PS and AV cables.
The thing about the GPU(if it is the GPU) that it may be something simple like a broken or weak solder joint...or something really bad/costly...like the GPU itself or the onboard video memory.
I haven't read the specs on the 360 so I don't know if the onboard memory is shared or dedicated.

Tenacious
10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
To whoever said that E74 has nothing to do with the cable, it actually does, it can be the chip inside the cable OR the chip in the xbox, my friend got an E74 error and borrowed my cable and his xbox worked..

But, E74 error sucks, from personal experience. When I got E74, it was the chip in the xbox and I had no warranty, so I had to buy a new one.. >_<. It was lucky for me that the price drop happened a few days before my xbox croaked :)

Anyway, see if you can get it fixed, if you can't, just buy an xbox 360 arcade.

Skillet
10-11-2008, 09:45 PM
To whoever said that E74 has nothing to do with the cable, it actually does, it can be the chip inside the cable OR the chip in the xbox, my friend got an E74 error and borrowed my cable and his xbox worked..

But, E74 error sucks, from personal experience. When I got E74, it was the chip in the xbox and I had no warranty, so I had to buy a new one.. >_<. It was lucky for me that the price drop happened a few days before my xbox croaked :)

Anyway, see if you can get it fixed, if you can't, just buy an xbox 360 arcade.

I said E74 has nothing to do with the power cable... the AV cable and power cables are seperate.

I said in another post that E74 is AV/HDMI cable, GPU or scaler chip related.

As for the new question asked by the OP, 360 Pros (http://www.360-pros.com/(X(1)S(qd2hpq55pmcekqbkc2yhf345))/xbox-360-repair-service.aspx?src=1&gclid=CJi_xrSSoJYCFQZqswodMV_w6w&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1) are said to do a pretty good job on any out of warranty or even tampered consoles.

Lightning360
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
really where are they located at and how can i contact them. i dont need anything like the warranty sticker just the 360? and how much does it cost?