PDA

View Full Version : Custom HDD

v SnOwMaN v
10-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Does anyone know about getting a bigger HDD than the already 120GB HDD. I read some places that people were using 300/500GB HDDs instead of the 20/120GB HDDs.

If so where can you pick one up at.

I know not in regular stores, but I mean online.

D3anz1
10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
have you tried the infamous google.com (^^,)

Skillet
10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know about getting a bigger HDD than the already 120GB HDD. I read some places that people were using 300/500GB HDDs instead of the 20/120GB HDDs.

If so where can you pick one up at.

I know not in regular stores, but I mean online.
I don't think it's possible to make a Hard Drive that will store your game data, profiles and all that good stuff. I do know of a lot of people who use external Hard Drives that use a USB port to keep their music and pictures in and save their console HDD space. It just reads it like an external device. Kinda like a camera or iPod.

onimod13
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
There is a way to copy all the data from your current 360 hdd and use whatever size you like and rebuild using the info from your original.

Here is a link to a similar program but is set to a specific size and make of hd.
http://forums.maxconsole.net/archive/index.php/t-58815.html

Skillet
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
There is a way to copy all the data from your current 360 hdd and use whatever size you like and rebuild using the info from your original.

Here is a link to a similar program but is set to a specific size and make of hd.
Doesn't that fall under console hacking?

onimod13
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Those who have changed there case or controllers with modifications arent they also deemed console hackers then ?
I know that any modification you do to your xbox voids the warranty however on a legal aspect im not so sure whether it is or is not legal.

I know there was a court ruling in australia a long time ago which meant that it was illegal to chip both the playstation 2 and the original xbox which then filtered throughout the rest of the world.

However i am unsure on the facts on the current consoles.

Skillet
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Those who have changed there case or controllers with modifications arent they also deemed console hackers then ?
I know that any modification you do to your xbox voids the warranty however on a legal aspect im not so sure whether it is or is not legal.

I know there was a court ruling in australia a long time ago which meant that it was illegal to chip both the playstation 2 and the original xbox which then filtered throughout the rest of the world.

However i am unsure on the facts on the current consoles.
Changing the cosmetic look of the case is one thing. The guy in your link provides instructions for hacking your HDD and moving Microsoft's files from their registered Hard Drives to one of your choosing. That isn't just popping off a case and replacing it with a red one or painting your controller green.

onimod13
10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Long and short of it is i was only posting information to show that it CAN be done which is what the original poster was looking for.

I dont want to argue the fact with you what i was getting at was even though they are both very different they are both classed as console hackers as they are modifying the console to do or look like or do something that it was not designed to do.

In legal terms where does this stand.

ps looking at the link i provided im pretty sure it is beyond most peoples comprehension and im pretty sure its above me.

v SnOwMaN v
10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
No biggie then. I was hoping that you could just buy one somewhere. I'll try and get an elite or buy the 120GB.

Thanks for info

This thread can be locked.

Bax x360a
10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
You might be mistaking the 360 with the PS3. The PS3's HDD can easily be changed to any 2.5" SATA HDD and is legal aswell! Unfortunately the same doesn't apply with the 360, but I still have 9GB left on my 20GB HDD! So I hardly need the extra space.

DarkPyroGuy_09
10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
You can but eventually what ever Xbox you us it on will get banded. If not the Xbox then the drive I forget how it goes.

Daedryon
10-11-2008, 07:13 AM
I bought the 120GB HDD separately. Cost me $200 CDN -.-; but it was worth it. Have my whole collection of GH3 DLC on it (including the limited edition Dream On song and the Dropkick Murphy pack [now discontinued])

CyanideBreathMint
10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I bought the 120GB HDD separately. Cost me $200 CDN -.-; but it was worth it.
Wh..wh..wh..whaaat?! Good God man!

MadMartign
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
an interesting side note for you guys... in case you didnt know...

first im not condoning any hacking/modding or whatever.

but the 360 harddrive looks odd yes. but that weird shaped box thing is actually just a case and inside is what basically amounts to a laptop HDD. The case has a custom built connection which provides both power and data cable to it. just a little information for ya.

and TBH , i think its stupid that we dont have to option to put our own HDD on there in the first place. I mean they can still search out custom firmware and what not to ban it... but i mean come on, the 120 GB HD is like freakin 150-200$.. i just bought a 750 GB HDD and that only cost me 140$... talk about a HUGE ripoff for the 360 HDD's.

imagine what a 500 gig HDD is going to cost if they make one? 600$? shit u can build a decent computer for that price. thats more than the freakin console costs.

And don't be surprised to see a bigger HDD come out esp with all the new options and content they are bringing with the new XBE... especially with the install to HDD option now..

CyanideBreathMint
10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
an interesting side note for you guys... in case you didnt know...

first im not condoning any hacking/modding or whatever.

but the 360 harddrive looks odd yes. but that weird shaped box thing is actually just a case and inside is what basically amounts to a laptop HDD. The case has a custom built connection which provides both power and data cable to it. just a little information for ya.

and TBH , i think its stupid that we dont have to option to put our own HDD on there in the first place. I mean they can still search out custom firmware and what not to ban it... but i mean come on, the 120 GB HD is like freakin 150-200$.. i just bought a 750 GB HDD and that only cost me 140$... talk about a HUGE ripoff for the 360 HDD's.

imagine what a 500 gig HDD is going to cost if they make one? 600$? shit u can build a decent computer for that price. thats more than the freakin console costs.

And don't be surprised to see a bigger HDD come out esp with all the new options and content they are bringing with the new XBE... especially with the install to HDD option now..
I personally see no problem doing a modification to your hdd like that if you don't mind voiding your warranty. In most cases folks that would do this probably have it as a second console anyways.

Smithaveli
10-12-2008, 03:52 AM
I always thought it was hilarious that my 60 dollar 20 gig HDD turned out to be a 60 dollar 12 gb HDD.

8 gigs of formatting? srsly? gaysauce.

Daedryon
10-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Wh..wh..wh..whaaat?! Good God man!

Yup. $200 at my local Walmart.

I didn't even think to check my EB Games.

I recently did a price check on an XBOX Elite system.

Here's the Canadian prices, with taxes.

Zellers - $500 and some-odd cents
Walmart - $500 and some odd cents
EB Games - $451 and some-odd cents.

I'll be buying my Elite at EB Games.

I'm selling my friend my XBOX 360, the 120GB HDD that I get with my new Elite, my copy of Madden NFL 09, Madden NFL 07 and a controller, all for $250, because he lives next door to me :P