PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth playing without drums?

WEEJOK
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I was thinking of picking this up but I only have a guitar and a mic. Will I still get some enjoyment out of this with missing out the drum parts. Does this leave a lot of the game and achievements locked to me?

edd__
10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
It's all a matter of opinion.
Personally, i bloody love drumming, both irl and in game, and i wouldn't enjoy the game as much without it. But i'm sure there's plenty of people who don't care that much about drums and enjoy guitar/bass/singing far more.
I know that's not the best answer, but it's all down to your own feelings tbh. In my opinion, if you've got the money, you should take the plunge and get them (or if you have even more money, wait until the Ion Kit is released in the UK, or the RB2 kit). They are a lot of fun to play, and it's always better if you can play with more people - i've had many a good time with three mates and I all rocking out with some beers on it. Again, my opinion only, and they are a bit over-priced if you haven't got 60 spare.

In terms of achievements, there's 5 specifics for each instrument (completing the solo tour on each of the four difficulties, and 100% a song on expert with the instrument) So without drums, that's a minimum of 150G you'd miss. But most of the achievements are for the band world tour, for which you need 2+ local players (or duel-wield the mic and guitar yourself).

Lucent Beam
10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
You won't be able to get the 4 achievements for beating drum solo tour (20G easy, 30G medium, 40G hard, 50G easy) and you won't be able to get the flawless drumming achievement (10G). But other than that, you can get everything. I would say that yeah it's still definitely worth playing even if you don't have drums. Guitar and vocal solo tour still will be fun. You can still play BWT. And you can still have fun with a full band on Live.

(And I was typing that while the above post was posted, so my bad.)

TwistedFate
10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I'll just throw my 2 cents. I don't know if I would play as much without the drums. IMHO, that is the best part of the game. It's a good game, however, and there are many hours of enjoyment waiting for you even if you don't get the drums. My girlfriend's son hardly plays anything but the guitar parts and he plays all the time. It's all about what you want out of it.

SebastianSB
10-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I've been hooked to Rock Band ever since I got it last December, but I've only played maybe 30 songs on drums over that time. They're fun to play, but there's a lot more to the game than just those. A lot of people gravitate towards the drums because that's the newest experience if you've already played guitar with Guitar Hero and sung with Karaoke Revolution.

k1lls1gn
10-20-2008, 08:33 AM
you should try and get the drums dude, there fun

just 0wn3d y0u
11-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I agree that it would take away a little fun but i belive now you can buy the drum set for $50-60 at wal-mart.

edd__
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I agree that it would take away a little fun but i belive now you can buy the drum set for $50-60 at wal-mart.
Posts like this always piss me off a little. It's not exactly hard to tell that he doesn't live in the US. His location says UK, his avatar and gamerpic are both of Scotland, and so on. So your post doesn't really help, does it?

J4ck M
11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
IMO the drums are what makes the game special. It's still a fantastic game if you only have a guitar, but if you can get a drumset I would.

Ortep
11-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Well i got this game after having the first three Guitar Heroes and assumed i'd be spending most of my time pulling of solos and whatnot, however when you get those drumsticks in your hands it's like the power of a rock god contained in each little wooden rod.

So yeah the drums i would say are a massive part of it, but it is completely playable and enjoyable without them. They just add so much more. I suppose if you've never used them you won't really miss them.

SebastianSB
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Can we let this topic die now? Somehow I doubt that it's taken him more than a month to make up his mind.