PDA

View Full Version : Good 'Impossible' equipment/strategy?

SoLo
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm on chapter 2, and I'm wondering if the strategy I'm going with is good, or if I should switch it up. My strategy: Fully upgrade the PC, PR and my RIG (Kinesis and Stasis as well). Should I stick with upgrading those things, or should I switch it up?

Please only post if you're in the process of your 'Impossible' run or you've already done one.

Thanks.

madcap1
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I completed impossible and I only used the PC it is the strongest weapon once fully upgraded and it also leaves you with more money to use in the store. Def max your kinesis and stasis. Stasis is your best friend on this mode when possible use stasis and just use melee on the monsters that way you can conserve on ammo. If you want to get money buy the contact beam but dont upgrade it just keep it on you that way you can sell the ammo at the store its worth allot. Also do v-ball you get some god stuff for doing that.

Deathblow23
10-22-2008, 04:33 AM
From what I saw, the Ripper ammo is worth more than any other. A full Ripper clip is 15 blades,...and it sells for over $3,300 to the store.

ThrawnOmega
10-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Having the DLC Level 5 armor right away prevents having to spend a lot of money on armor upgrades, and I would only buy the weapons you plan on using. I'm rolling with the Plasma Cutter, Ripper, Line Racks, and Pulse Rifle.

Deathblow23
10-22-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm halfway through ch. 3 and, I don't want to jinx myself,...but ammo is not in short supply so far. I am using the Plasma Cutter, only...even though I already did the 1 Gun Achieve...because it is REALLY powerful when maxed out. Playing on Impossible...I don't know why you would use more than 1 weapon anyway because that is alot of $$$ thrown at things other than your Rig, and Stasis...as far as getting things maxed out. Of course...I am assuming that maxing those things out is a requirement if you want to beat the game on this difficulty. The ONLY other weapon I could see spending any $$$ on would be the Ripper.

The one real thing that stands out is that it takes twice as much ammo to down an enemy, and to kill an enemy. It takes 6-8 shots to kill those black necromorphs with the red eyes.

Deathblow23
10-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Here's a little info that may help someone who is chasing the Impossible achievement.

I've fought my way to the midway point in ch. 10 now,...and ammo isn't really scarce...but you use a TON of it to kill most anything. The problem is that most the enemies now are of the "black" variety. For those who may not know,...the black enemeies are MUCH tougher to kill...and they are much more aggressive. You do come across alot of $$$ at this point...and all I buy now is ammo and health. I usually get to the store with around 30K each time and I spend all the way down to $0, or close to it every time.

Another thing I have noticed is as you play and start getting good at the dismemberment tactic...shoot off 1 arm and 1 leg and that is almost always a kill. If you shoot off both arms or both legs...they keep coming. Leave the head alone...it will get you nowhere.

Atarii
10-23-2008, 01:07 AM
A good strategy would be to fully upgrade your stasis, PC, and RIG as fast as possible. Carry a second weapon, something that has good ammo price value at the stores so you can make some extra cash because ammo generally isn't a concern unless you're bad as dismembering the baddies. I don't believe the achievement is as hard as some seem to make it. With a little bit of knowledge of what to expect and where to look for nodes, I think this achievement should be easy to obtain.

Deathblow23
10-23-2008, 01:20 AM
A good strategy would be to fully upgrade your stasis, PC, and RIG as fast as possible. Carry a second weapon, something that has good ammo price value at the stores so you can make some extra cash because ammo generally isn't a concern unless you're bad as dismembering the baddies. I don't believe the achievement is as hard as some seem to make it. With a little bit of knowledge of what to expect and where to look for nodes, I think this achievement should be easy to obtain.

I agree with all of this. If you are going to carry a 2nd weapon to sell the ammo at the store...then I would recommend the Ripper because a full clip is 15 blades, and that will sell in th store for $3,300+. On the flipside of that, the Ripper is a devastaing weapon in and of itself.

xCypherZerox
10-23-2008, 02:40 AM
I beat the game on Easy in less than 7 hours. After getting used to the game mechanics this is what I've come up with to help me...and you on your Impossible run. I just beat the Leviathan on my first Impossible run with a total game time of around 3 hours.

Game Mechanics: Here are a couple things I noticed about the game that made it easier for me to progress.

Stasis is your friend. It has a WIDE area of effect. Two necromorphs could be in front of you but as long as you shoot the Stasis between them they will both slow down. You could even hit the ground in front of you.

Ammo and Health ARE abundant. These are collected from defeated enemies, lockers, storage crates, and smashable boxes. What you get from each is random. BUT there is a way to obtain ammo for a certain gun more often than your other weapons. I found that this happened while playing Easy and sure enough it happens in Impossible. Depending on the gun you are holding and what you've been killing the past couple enemies with, the game will give you that ammo type more often. I bought a Line Gun as soon as I could. I used it a lot even though the capacity is low (starts at 5) but I noticed that almost every other crate and enemy dropped Line Racks. The same holds true for every gun. YAY now you can use the Pulse Rifle more often without feeling guilty about wasting ammo!

Another thing about Health Packs. I'm sure that by the time you beat the game you are well adjusted to how it handles. Healing won't be as big an issue on your second run through as it did on your first run through because youcan anticipate where enemies will appear...if you've memorized them. Only bother with Small Med Packs until you get the Medium Med Pack schematic. I normally only hold 4-5 Medium Med Packs. I store my Large Med Packs until I max out my health. A Large Med Pack is a full heal. Thus it's the MOST valuable when you are near death.

It's NOT DEAD...until it drops an item. So you've used stasis and now you're stomping the sh!t out of the necromorph. How can you tell it's dead? It drops an item of course! Also, if it's on the ground and you are stomping it while it's Stasis'd, it will fly a different direction when you've killed it. In other words, the enemy's "receiving damage" animation abruptly changes when it dies in Stasis.

Now on to...
Strategy:

Loadout: Elite Suit, PC, Line Gun, Pulse Rifle, and Contact Beam.

What to upgrade in order of importance: PC(Damage or Capacity), RIG(HP), Line Gun(Mine, Width, or Damage), Pulse Rifle(Capacity or Damage)What's in parenthesis will end up being your decision. Though I do recommend maxing the Plasma Cutter's Damage ASAP.

I'll add the rest later...I'm tired and I have Humanities in the morning...

Deathblow23
10-23-2008, 06:28 AM
I finished the IMP-run and learned something during the final boss fight. Once he takes you up in his tentacle...you have a very short amount of time to take out those last 2 eyes. The pulse rifle is the way to go here because of its rate of fire.I tried and tried with the PC, and since aiming is VERY hard in this position...you can just lay down on the trigger with the pulse rifle and when you do target it...you hit it with a many rounds...not just one from the PC.

I hope this helps!

Blitzkrieg64
10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I finished the IMP-run and learned something during the final boss fight. Once he takes you up in his tentacle...you have a very short amount of time to take out those last 2 eyes. The pulse rifle is the way to go here because of its rate of fire.I tried and tried with the PC, and since aiming is VERY hard in this position...you can just lay down on the trigger with the pulse rifle and when you do target it...you hit it with a many rounds...not just one from the PC.

I hope this helps!

I would add one thing from my run on Hard (haven't done impossible yet). When you fight the hivemind, try to put some rounds into every eye (try to do it somewhat evenly). That way you are not attempting to take out two 'full strength' eyes when you are in the tentacles....instead they only need a shot or two.

madcap1
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I would add one thing from my run on Hard (haven't done impossible yet). When you fight the hivemind, try to put some rounds into every eye (try to do it somewhat evenly). That way you are not attempting to take out two 'full strength' eyes when you are in the tentacles....instead they only need a shot or two.

I finished impossible and this is the same as I did it works very well because once he picks you up you do have a short amount of time to hit the last two eyes, if you weaken them first it is allot easier. I also used the canisters when he opened his chest up, that is if he does not smash them first.

JBong6
10-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Did anyone else on their 2nd run through, start it on impossible and get start with the level 6 suit?(if thats what you were wearing when u beat it on the other save) Just curious cuz I did, and from what I gathered from reading different threads I though you had to start over from scratch completely.