PDA

View Full Version : A useful(?) feature that could save the site bandwidth.

JesusBread
10-21-2008, 03:09 AM
I just thought of this. Seems like a good idea, but I have no idea what you'll guys think of it.

When you click on retail games, instead of the link leading you to a list of all the games(which can sometimes be annoying), why not just make the user choose a letter in the alphabet up top.

This way, it'll be easier for the user to find the game they are looking for faster and the site saves some bandwidth in the mean time.

Yay or nay?

The Pants Party
10-21-2008, 03:12 AM
The letter links are already there. If we took out the full list view, people would ask why it isn't there. Having both should appease everyone.

But I can't imagine that's really one of the things eating much bandwidth.

Falcongale
10-21-2008, 04:10 AM
One of the reasons bandwidth might have been chomped on this month would be the facts:

1. There was a COD5 beta key competition
2. Slashdot linked to this site for achievements on Dead Space

I'm surprised x360a didn't get 'Slashdotted'...

The Pants Party
10-21-2008, 05:56 AM
We get linked to from a hell of a lot of sites. We advertise on N4G every time we reveal a list, plus 360fanboy and half a dozen to a dozen other sites link to us as well. :)

Falcongale
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
We get linked to from a hell of a lot of sites. We advertise on N4G every time we reveal a list, plus 360fanboy and half a dozen to a dozen other sites link to us as well. :)

Yeah, but they're not Slashdot.

Do you know the full effect... of the Slashdot effect!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect

Not only does it take down sites, in communitys it can induce... wait for it... 'newbie-like behaviour'!

Ben Sharpe
10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but they're not Slashdot.

Do you know the full effect... of the Slashdot effect!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect

Not only does it take down sites, in communitys it can induce... wait for it... 'newbie-like behaviour'!

X3F isn't exactly small, I would hazard to guess there is a large amount of traffic from there every week

Falcongale
10-22-2008, 02:22 AM
X3F isn't exactly small, I would hazard to guess there is a large amount of traffic from there every week

More traffic would come from Slashdot in 4 hours than would come from X3F in a month.