Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Spade.
Subscribe    Donate

Conversation Between Spade. and Inebriated Jedi
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 46
  1. Inebriated Jedi
    07-12-2014 12:19 AM
    Inebriated Jedi
    Mine didn't charge much for 'standard' rats, but the ones with fancier patterns were fairly expensive.

I'd say the prices are worth it though, considering that their rats are bred from nice stock and they are well cared for.
  2. Spade.
    07-11-2014 09:51 PM
    Spade.
    We went to one, and it seemed quite unkempt, as they kept most of the rodents and such in small cages and the likes, most seemed unhealthy with red eyes and such. The owner had no idea what age they were and said that he wasn't really selling them for pets...in a pet store...uhh...

I've located some breeders in Alabama, but they are about three hours away from me at best, unfortunately. I may contact them about some form of halfway meeting or something, but I don't know. There are a few shops nearby that I didn't get to stop at today, so I may check them out. No plans on giving up though.

Do breeders charge significantly more for their rats?
  3. Inebriated Jedi
    07-11-2014 09:06 PM
    Inebriated Jedi
    Don't worry, you're not bothering me at all.

Generally, you want to avoid getting any kind of pet from a place like Petsmart or Petco. They simply don't take good care of the animals. I bought most of my rats from a breeder. The ones I got from a store (Petco) only lived a little over a year and were prone to health problems.

Finding a reputable breeder can be tough, so if you really want rats, a pet store might be your only option. Are there any 'mom and pop' type pet stores in your area? I would definitely choose those over Petsmart or any other commercial stores.
  4. Spade.
    07-11-2014 08:04 PM
    Spade.
    Hope I'm not bothering you with this whole ordeal, but figured I'd share some of my, eh, experiences:

I went by petsmart, which is about an hour away from where I live, and they have some rats coming in next week, and was set on getting some when they arrived, but according to some research, it seems pet shops are the devil in terms of rats, saying they can come from lineages of breeding that have terminal illnesses and just generic spite towards humans, or, in simple terms: not good.

Do you agree with that? Or is it a general misconception, like males getting territorial?
  5. Inebriated Jedi
    07-08-2014 05:02 PM
    Inebriated Jedi
    Yeah, I don't think most people know about it. It's a small beach in Oregon that's just a few minutes away from Tillamook. It's not like the larger, more popular beaches around here. That's why I like it though. It's not as crowded as some of the other ones, so it's easier to just relax and get away from normal life for a little while.
  6. Spade.
    07-08-2014 02:52 PM
    Spade.
    Never heard of it...I'm only familiar with the main beaches in Florida. I've gone to Panama City every year for a long while now. Good times. I usually don't even go into the water. Something about just the sound of the waves is so therapeutic to me.
  7. Inebriated Jedi
    07-08-2014 12:41 AM
    Inebriated Jedi
    Rockaway Beach. I used to go there a lot when I was little. It's a small beach, but it'll always be my favorite.
  8. Spade.
    07-08-2014 12:24 AM
    Spade.
    Well of course, if I want them to love me I have to show it to them back.

What beach did you go to?
  9. Inebriated Jedi
    07-07-2014 10:05 PM
    Inebriated Jedi
    I also want to say that I am happy that you are doing research and asking other owners about rats. Many people just buy them and throw them in little cages because they assume it's all they need. Rats are special and awesome pets, and they deserve a lot more. Thank you.
  10. Inebriated Jedi
    07-07-2014 09:54 PM
    Inebriated Jedi
    My trip to the beach was excellent, thanks. It was nice to have a few days to sit back and relax.