XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Silent Hill: Homecoming (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=703)
-   -   I give up (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162966)

aServantOfGod 07-20-2009 05:03 PM

I give up

title.

Another game that is just too frustrating for me. I hate games where the controllers hamper your ability to play. And this game is one of those. The game's ability to dodge around the needlers is retarded. And fuck Scarlet. I am quitting with 160. Maybe someday they will fix it and I can come back to it. But for now, this game is headed back to Gamefly.

Sorry for mouning. But this game pisses me off. :mad:

tonyturbo 07-20-2009 08:16 PM

I was exactly the same dude. I only picked the game up the weekend just gone and was really struggling around the police station with no ammo, little first aid and an inability to dodge enemies. I persevered for a while, stuck with it and finally got a good knowledge of how to dodge every enemy without taking much damage if any at all.

I have just completed the game tonight and enjoyed it massively. The dodge button is the most important button in the game and once you learn to let the enemy attack you first, followed by a succesful dodge and counter combo you will find the game great.

Needlers along with the Order Members are the easiest enemies to take out. For the needlers just wait for it to raise it's front legs and roll to either side followed by a quick heavy attack with X, you wont loose any health and be on your way.

Dont give up with the game, it really is much better than the reviews given.

HighsounD 07-21-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyturbo (Post 2182766)
I was exactly the same dude. I only picked the game up the weekend just gone and was really struggling around the police station with no ammo, little first aid and an inability to dodge enemies. I persevered for a while, stuck with it and finally got a good knowledge of how to dodge every enemy without taking much damage if any at all.

I have just completed the game tonight and enjoyed it massively. The dodge button is the most important button in the game and once you learn to let the enemy attack you first, followed by a succesful dodge and counter combo you will find the game great.

Needlers along with the Order Members are the easiest enemies to take out. For the needlers just wait for it to raise it's front legs and roll to either side followed by a quick heavy attack with X, you wont loose any health and be on your way.
Dont give up with the game, it really is much better than the reviews given.

That won't work in the sewers where you face three needlers, because every time you dodge another one raises his legs so you have absolutely no chance whatsoever to take them out without firing your pistol or shotgun. I freaking hate this game sometimes.

big red marino 07-22-2009 06:31 PM

Seriously...on your first play through...I think there was one boss that really pissed me off, save the nurses. When you get into the hotel that is the toughest area. You can almost always run past enemies. Also, have you tried using any of the serums that you have found. This increases your health.

Asgorath 07-26-2009 07:55 PM

I agree that Scarlet is really difficult at first (and very annoying you need to keep going through that conversation every time you fail), but with some practice she becomes easier. Oddly also after that the game becomes easier and easier. Somehow it seems to have a bit of a reversed difficulty-curve. The bit with Scarlet is the most difficult, the rest after that is a joke.

I've played through the game fully around 3 times (as I refuse to read achievements guides for games with a heavy storyline before finnishing it at least once - so my save games where a bit messed up :p) and every time it becomes easier and easier. And that's before getting the laser pistol and it truly becomming a joke.

It's a good game, worth the effort one puts into it. But I also cursed a lot at Scarlet, trust me.

Sinister5 08-08-2009 04:59 AM

I gave up alot earlier than you guys and have just stared at it a few times since shaking my head in bewilderment. Im not the best gamer but man this game frustrates me as much as switching to controllers after 10 years using mouse and keyboard!

Ruthless Remix 09-07-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aServantOfGod (Post 2182249)
title.

Another game that is just too frustrating for me. I hate games where the controllers hamper your ability to play. And this game is one of those. The game's ability to dodge around the needlers is retarded. And fuck Scarlet. I am quitting with 160. Maybe someday they will fix it and I can come back to it. But for now, this game is headed back to Gamefly.

Sorry for mouning. But this game pisses me off. :mad:

well done im giving up on 80 GS :mad:

bloodswan 09-08-2009 02:07 AM

I never found the game hard at all to be honest. Scarlet can be a little difficult at first but just practise a bit and you'll be fine. I found the controls fine and the combat decent. It isn't an action game and if u feel combat against mutliple foes is too hard than make a run for it. The original Silent Hills were more about evading than facing enemies save for bosses and a few set areas. The fact u have little ammo is traditonally Silent Hillish. You'll be missing out on an easy 1000 and a good story if u do quit prematurely.

Kyanite 09-12-2009 08:46 AM

I'm currently on my second time through, but the first was easy. I found the Siam enemies to be difficult, but the nurses, needlers, lurkers, and ferals never became a problem. The first boss was simple, Scarlet was a minor pain (I beat her on my third try), the third boss was also simple, and the final boss was easy once I figured out its pattern in its second form.

I am actually surprised to read that people are frustrated to the point of giving up. Homecoming isn't the best game by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel that the controls are good enough to where they shouldn't be a problem. The camera can get in the way, but I expect that out of any third-person game anymore.

Though I don't have the full 1000 GS as of right now, I'm certain that I'll have it by this time next week . . . and that's factoring in work, school, a social life, and watching various sports.

Disavowed Knowledge 10-25-2009 05:09 AM

I'm not finding it hard, just boring. It really sucks because earlier games in the series were so good, but this one feels so slow...I can't be bothered to keep going with it because nothing's happening.

MrHyms 10-26-2009 10:11 AM

I hated it for the first hour or so, then it started making sense.

I don't mind that the controls are a little stiff - Resident Evil / Alone in the Dark / Dead Space were all similar, and to me it adds to the challenge of the game - it's a survival horror game - you're not meant to feel like an uber ninja able to just walk through enemies.......

xEndriux 10-26-2009 10:15 AM

The first playthrough could be annoying considering also that this game give
tension and fear...but it is an easy 1000 at the end

Nuno1 10-27-2009 03:27 PM

I consider this game to be one of the best in the genre. I have really enjoy it. Scares the shit out of me :)

I didn't find the game that hard. It takes time to learn to dodge but was going through the game without much of a problem.

MLG=Most Likely Gay 10-28-2009 02:43 PM

Dodge and knife is your best friend. Please dont hate this game, it is amazing.

DCDerekUSA 11-16-2009 11:24 AM

What helped me out in this game was just playing normal on the first play through and saving my first aid kits and health drinks for boss battles. I didn't even use amo unless it was a boss most of the time. I did the "No Dogs Allowed" ending and after having the laser pistol for my next play through on hard it was stupid easy. I think I shot the end boss 6 times before he went down, lol. The only thing I mess up on is I keep forgetting to get the rifle for the achievement and since all my saves are at the prison I have to start another new game just to get the rifle, lol. But great game in my opinion.

Jakethemuss 01-13-2010 11:04 PM

I'll admit I got pissed when fighting the needlers, I was trying to dodge but they were still landing hits. Its all about getting behind them and just slashing like mad.

I'm no fan of games with barely enough ammo to get through the game, so this was a learning curve for me. Never had to melee so much since Condemned. But ATM I'm at 850G with only 3 of the endings left, so I'm pretty much on a home run!!

xyzygy 01-16-2010 09:27 PM

Are you guys for serious? I found nothing about this game hard at all, all you have to do is know when the enemies are going to attack and press B. Needlers are extremely easy - after you do a counterattack (dodge and then attack) do a heavy attack (X) and it will stun the needlers more often than not. If it doesn't, repeat the process and they will be on the floor the whole time. The only guys I have trouble with are the Siam, but there aren't many in the game so I use my ammo on them.

It's not a hard game and I barely use my ammo. I saved it all for the last boss, and how is scarlet hard? Just get in close and knock her armor off the with Crowbar... I died maybe twice on my first playthrough, and none so far on my second. I'm planning on using the Laser Gun for the Hard playthrough so it'll be cake.

B2KSTR8R!PP!N 01-17-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asgorath (Post 2201499)
I agree that Scarlet is really difficult at first (and very annoying you need to keep going through that conversation every time you fail), but with some practice she becomes easier. Oddly also after that the game becomes easier and easier. Somehow it seems to have a bit of a reversed difficulty-curve. The bit with Scarlet is the most difficult, the rest after that is a joke.

I've played through the game fully around 3 times (as I refuse to read achievements guides for games with a heavy storyline before finnishing it at least once - so my save games where a bit messed up :p) and every time it becomes easier and easier. And that's before getting the laser pistol and it truly becomming a joke.

It's a good game, worth the effort one puts into it. But I also cursed a lot at Scarlet, trust me.

Serious?? i finished beating scarlet on the first try on hardest difficulty.
but yer it realy is a good game though.(much better than any review gives it)

B2KSTR8R!PP!N 01-17-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhyms (Post 2475903)
i hated it for the first hour or so, then it started making sense.

I don't mind that the controls are a little stiff - resident evil / alone in the dark / dead space were all similar, and to me it adds to the challenge of the game - it's a survival horror game - you're not meant to feel like an uber ninja able to just walk through enemies.......

sooo true!

DATGUY 07-24-2010 03:07 PM

this game sux and is sooo fuqn hard! currently on chapter 5.. just got to the surface.. i have 0 ammo for anything.. the dog things i cant even hit cuz they just jump on me and kill me so i run away.. can get inside some place but then these 5 doll things come in and get me every time.. i can kill 2 of them but still 3 left.. OMG THIS GAME SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX worst game ive ever played.. and havng over 100k i've played afew games

DeathKeeper93 07-26-2010 09:08 PM

I hate running out of ammo on this game.

Alexdelicious 08-01-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighsounD (Post 2184496)
That won't work in the sewers where you face three needlers, because every time you dodge another one raises his legs so you have absolutely no chance whatsoever to take them out without firing your pistol or shotgun. I freaking hate this game sometimes.

Don't know if you're still struggling at that part but others might be so this could be useful; if you run backwards (closer to the save area) as soon as you see your first needler, they hesitate and will come towards you individually. You can also back right off if you get overwhelmed - this will make them scuttle away and let you take another shot. It's frustrating but as you get more of a feel for the controls the awkwardness is hardly noticeable.

Dimensive 08-30-2010 12:12 AM

I didn't have much trouble adapting to the controls, I always play inverted, not sure why they excluded that option but whatever.

ippiki_ookami 09-07-2010 09:20 AM

I'm shocked at what I'm reading. This game was difficult only where it needed to be. There were no parts where I was frustrated by the combat, the pacing was great, visuals were stunning, the score was hauntingly beautiful (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is my favorite artist of all time), and the enemies were among the best in the series so far. In four (or five, don't remember) playthroughs I had all the achievements, and I still play it. I'm not a very skilled gamer, but I had no trouble with this game. Shame on those of you who game up on it early on. This game is a near-masterpiece.

TimespliTT 09-28-2010 09:27 AM

i cant dodge for sh**

the game says to press dodge to get up real quick right after/during falling? well so for im 0/20000 on that

im fighting that Sepulcher boss and i cant time this crap for anything. i watched the youtube vids and he goes down within 2 minutes yet i have to fight him for an hour because i dodge to early or late (im on low health)

Gareth Dent 09-28-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimespliTT (Post 3555941)
i cant dodge for sh**

the game says to press dodge to get up real quick right after/during falling? well so for im 0/20000 on that

im fighting that Sepulcher boss and i cant time this crap for anything. i watched the youtube vids and he goes down within 2 minutes yet i have to fight him for an hour because i dodge to early or late (im on low health)

Don't even bother dodging, i went through the entire game not pushing the dodge button once. It's a waste of time, it's slow and its got some serious issues.

Cornholio 10-08-2010 10:49 PM

Isnt having low ammo & being weak part of the "scaryness" of these horror games.
I mean would it be scary if you had full metal armor and two miniguns attached to your back with unlimited ammo.
Awesome game btw :Bounce::Bounce:

GOVERNATOR T101 10-08-2010 11:17 PM

For me Silent Hill will always be "THE DADDY" of the horror genre awesome game, got the full 1000/1000 (try not to be a whore when it come to achievements, but sometimes I just cant help myself lol)shame they never made DLC for it...:(

Biohazard214 10-13-2010 06:10 PM

I received the RROD while playing this game. Had fun while it lasted but never again.

Joanna 11-04-2010 10:36 PM

I can't play this game for a particularly long period of time at once. After so long of nervously trying to dodge any and everything (and often failing, until you reach some kind of mastery), I'm often too irritated to do much effective dodging. I do well for about an hour at a time, though. Maybe small doses will help?