XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Matt Hazard: Blood, Bath and Beyond (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1535)
-   -   Underdog XBLA of the year (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199782)

StephenJ360 01-05-2010 08:55 PM

Underdog XBLA of the year
 
I can already tell this will be a total underdog for this year. The first game was so underrated it was absurd! I loved Eat Lead, thought it was a fun game with great shooting mechanics, and hilarious references throughout the entire game.

This new game has great graphics, what looks like great, re playable, game play, AND co-op to play around on with your friends. I haven't heard anything but complaints from people because there's supposed to be no online co-op in it, but I haven't heard whether there is or isn't. While I would still love to have online for it, offline isn't exactly a total failure. The only reason that's gonna get on my nerves is because all of my friends are just gonna make me buy it and play it at my house, as usual. Gotta hate freeloading friends, right?

NFaMuS one 01-06-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenJ360 (Post 2672502)
I can already tell this will be a total underdog for this year. The first game was so underrated it was absurd! I loved Eat Lead, thought it was a fun game with great shooting mechanics, and hilarious references throughout the entire game.

This new game has great graphics, what looks like great, re playable, game play, AND co-op to play around on with your friends. I haven't heard anything but complaints from people because there's supposed to be no online co-op in it, but I haven't heard whether there is or isn't. While I would still love to have online for it, offline isn't exactly a total failure. The only reason that's gonna get on my nerves is because all of my friends are just gonna make me buy it and play it at my house, as usual. Gotta hate freeloading friends, right?

I couldn't agree more! I love Eat Lead too, and everything you mentioned.

After playing for a brief 10 minutes this morning before work, the game was everything I expected and I can see it being completely underrated. Also, given the 1200 MSP price tag, it will probably be overlooked. Very sad too, cause Matt Hazard is awesome! :D

Oh, and, I'm not a fan of freeloading friends either, lol. :p

Nathan LS27 01-06-2010 12:58 PM

Not a chance, its a poor mans shadow complex and for the same price i dont think its worth it.

Biggest gripe is not being able to remain stationary while aiming and shooting, it kinda makes it a pain just to hit some of the enemies.

Jordbrett 01-06-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan LS27 (Post 2674891)
Not a chance, its a poor mans shadow complex and for the same price i dont think its worth it.

Biggest gripe is not being able to remain stationary while aiming and shooting, it kinda makes it a pain just to hit some of the enemies.


Just hold rb or lb and you can manual aim. I'm loving it so far but only a few min in. Very contra-esque

Filter x360a 01-06-2010 02:01 PM

This game is AMAZING! So many great levels....Poking fun at lots of games like Bioshock, Super Mario Bros, Mirrors Edge and movies like Back to the future. Man, worth every penny so far and I'm half way through the campaign.

Jordbrett 01-06-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filter x360a (Post 2675041)
This game is AMAZING! So many great levels....Poking fun at lots of games like Bioshock, Super Mario Bros, Mirrors Edge and movies like Back to the future. Man, worth every penny so far and I'm half way through the campaign.

Here's a back to the future tidbit...after the back to the future part the next lvl is the one where you have to knife people the achievement description is you mean you have to use your hands? Which is a direct quote from back to the future 2 when Marty is in the future and plays an arcade game at the diner and a kid asks him that. That kid happens to be Elijah wood.

FOX-Inc. 01-06-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan LS27 (Post 2674891)
Not a chance, its a poor mans shadow complex and for the same price i dont think its worth it.

I think it's repetitive crap, especially compared to Shadow Complex! There's absolutely no depth in the gameplay, other then shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... heck, I wouldn't even buy it myself for 400 MS Points, let alone for this overpriced amount.

Filter x360a 01-06-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX-Inc. (Post 2675646)
I think it's repetitive crap, especially compared to Shadow Complex! There's absolutely no depth in the gameplay, other then shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... heck, I wouldn't even buy it myself for 400 MS Points, let alone for this overpriced amount.

To each their own...I think it's a lot of fun.

DefEdge 01-06-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX-Inc. (Post 2675646)
I think it's repetitive crap, especially compared to Shadow Complex! There's absolutely no depth in the gameplay, other then shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... heck, I wouldn't even buy it myself for 400 MS Points, let alone for this overpriced amount.

Shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies is what made Contra and many other older NES games so great. Mindless entertainment is a classic staple. Are you saying you actually want to think instead of feel the game through like the old days? All these games where I have to think so much has dulled my skills and I actually do worse now.

The $15 price point is something to make me think it over instead of just jumping on it though, I'm a real tightwad when it comes to games. I got bills to pay.

Todaysforgotten 01-06-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX-Inc. (Post 2675646)
I think it's repetitive crap, especially compared to Shadow Complex! There's absolutely no depth in the gameplay, other then shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... heck, I wouldn't even buy it myself for 400 MS Points, let alone for this overpriced amount.

Ok, calm down, tiger. I think anyone would buy it for 400. Shadow Complex, wasn't that complex either.

Jaskier 01-06-2010 09:49 PM

Why is everyone comparing this to Shadow Complex?
Ok, so both games are side-scrollers, but Shadow Complex is more like Castlevania (focus on exploration, puzzles) while BBB is more like Contra (non-stop action, somewhat unforgiving difficulty).

Jordbrett 01-06-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaskier (Post 2676463)
Why is everyone comparing this to Shadow Complex?
Ok, so both games are side-scrollers, but Shadow Complex is more like Castlevania (focus on exploration, puzzles) while BBB is more like Contra (non-stop action, somewhat unforgiving difficulty).

Unforgiving is an understatement. Have you tried it on fuck this shit? It's impossible! One hit and you're dead. Awesome though since contra was one hit death too but there's a lot more going on in this game. I think eventually fuck this shit could be possible.

l.maciver 01-07-2010 12:19 AM

it is a decent game, really wanted eat lead 2, more humor...
but this is a underrated game, and will be for awhile, it doesnt give the full package and overpriced, contra is the closest i can compare this too.

StephenJ360 01-07-2010 12:29 AM

People that bitch too much
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX-Inc. (Post 2675646)
I think it's repetitive crap, especially compared to Shadow Complex! There's absolutely no depth in the gameplay, other then shooting waves and waves of poorly animated enemies. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... heck, I wouldn't even buy it myself for 400 MS Points, let alone for this overpriced amount.

It's not Shadow Complex. It's Matt Hazard, and my main question is why are you looking on the Matt Hazard forums if you think it's crap? I have Shadow Complex, I love it. And yet you don't see me comparing them because they're two totally different games. One's an adventure, and the other is a shoot 'em up. Also, I disagree wholeheartedly that it's overpriced. I spent 20 minutes on the first level ALONE this morning, the game has unlimited re playability, and while Shadow Complex has YET to make me want to come back. Once again, because it's an adventure game. Once you do it, the fun and excitement is practically gone.

And as someone said above, to each their own. But, after playing hundreds of games, including side scrollers throughout my years of gaming, this is as close to a new age Contra that we've gotten so far. With great graphics, hardcore difficulty, or easy (for probably the person who I'm quoting may need to play on) and really fun gun play, I think it's well worth the $15 I spent. As I believe everyone else who bought it may well agree.

Nathan LS27 01-07-2010 01:08 AM

Well as of midnight wednesday/thursday theres only like 100 people on mygamercard.net who would agree with you that its worth 1200, hardly a convincing first day sales eh?

Anyways, each to his own; if you like it get on with it. I don't so i'll leave it at that and make this my last post in this here thread.

chris100185 01-07-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan LS27 (Post 2677085)
Well as of midnight wednesday/thursday theres only like 100 people on mygamercard.net who would agree with you that its worth 1200, hardly a convincing first day sales eh?

Because we all know that sales=quality, that's why absolute trash like Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts tank. And holy crap, Enter the Matrix must be like one of the best games ever.

Filter x360a 01-07-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris100185 (Post 2677344)
Because we all know that sales=quality, that's why absolute trash like Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts tank. And holy crap, Enter the Matrix must be like one of the best games ever.

LOL! Nice!

Yeah, seriously - not every gamer ever is on mygamercard.net either. Lots of great game did average in sales.

AltruismIsDead 01-07-2010 04:08 PM

yeah this game is a bit overpriced. It's still a great game and all, but to me it seemed too short and was hoping for an epic boss battle (although that had been explained in a humorous way).

But if anyone likes Metal Slug or Contra this game is still worth picking up, hard to say about the replayability, after either beating it 2 or 3 times (pretty short already beat it twice and ran through the first two levels with a friend) or getting all the achievements it doesn't feel like I would play it that often afterwards.

I also liked Eat Lead, and like how this game pokes fun at itself. Although Eat Lead did get repetitive towards the end. Guess the bottom line was I enoyed the first game, liked the demo of this and just wanted to support the developers.

Chuppernicus 05-06-2012 01:59 AM

I liked Eat Lead a lot and wanted to play this game. Because I bought Eat Lead used and liked it, I wanted support the developers. I loved BBB. It's like contra and Metal Slug for sure not Shadow Complex. Love the humor and great spoofs on some classic games again. Short? Yes, but quite fun. I've ran through it 3 times so far and will do it again with a buddy.

V3T Hunter 06-28-2012 09:33 AM

I wanna try this one out. I been slacking on xbla games for too long.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.