XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Limbo (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1667)
-   -   Do you think Limbo is a strong example for the "games are art" argument? (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252774)

FrozenImplosion 08-20-2010 02:27 PM

Do you think Limbo is a strong example for the "games are art" argument?

The "games are art" argument has been going on for years and Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most often used examples for this argument. Do you think Limbo should be used as an example as well?

Cheezus Chrust 08-21-2010 01:23 PM

Yes. I also think "Jumper: Griffin's Story" is an equally good example. Imaginative or prosaic, good or bad, all games are art, or none are.

FrozenImplosion 08-21-2010 08:58 PM

Well I understand where you're going with that, but saying Jumper is artistically equivalent is like saying that all fine art is equal as well. Like I agree that either all games are art, or none are. But I don't agree that all games are on equal levels of artistic value.

Xylon Uxkid 08-22-2010 06:57 PM

I voted the first option because IMO this game style is amazing and the atmosphere/feeling it creates it very unique.

Starstrukk X360A 08-22-2010 07:13 PM

Definitely.
It's not just another video game. The vibes you get from this game are unlike any I've ever seen.

FrozenImplosion 08-23-2010 01:11 AM

Yeah thats exactly what I felt, guys!
There was something about Limbo, hard to put my finger on it though.
It was just that teeming sense of despair, loneliness, dread, and fantasy all the while :]

ashmccloud 08-23-2010 03:43 PM

I think it is allthough when viewing this it would be like Dial M for Murder in the movie world. It is not for everyone and it is artsy. To be fair I think most people in the USA if they played this would not enjoy it. I am cool with knowing that only a few would really enjoy it. i think because of the different feel it has is what makes it worthwhile.

Forgotten Hipster7 08-28-2010 05:12 AM

The rule of art:
If you have to question if its art, it is.

Cheezus Chrust 09-11-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenImplosion (Post 3429514)
Well I understand where you're going with that, but saying Jumper is artistically equivalent is like saying that all fine art is equal as well. Like I agree that either all games are art, or none are. But I don't agree that all games are on equal levels of artistic value.

Sorry, excuse the late reply, been a while since I'd last thought to visit this site

I'm not saying they're equal in any way other than in being good examples of art. Being a good example of art does not necessarily mean something is an example of good art (and of course, what makes something "good art" is completely subjective.)

What I was trying to imply in my first post is that a list of gaming's paragons will not do much to change the mind of anyone who denies gaming's craft (unless the dissenter is a moron, and only labels that which suites their tastes as art.) When the likes of Roger Ebert opine that they don't think games were/are/will ever be art, they aren't implying that there isn't yet a game that has reached some kind of standard or level of quality required to be considered art. They are saying they think that the elements that comprise this medium and make ALL video games unique from other art (unparalleled interactivity and immersion, control, and (probably most importantly) things like engine and logic performance(and hell, I still don't think I've listed them all)) cannot now, and never will be, considered an art form; Excellence in conception, arrangement, and execution be damned.

macpride 09-13-2010 03:01 AM

There was an article about this in Game Informer magazine issue 207, july 2010. It was a great read about a couple of games in particular; Shadow of the Colossus, Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Braid, Super Mario Bros, Little Big Planet, and Bioshock. And in the braid portion they also mention Limbo in the same retrospect.

Space Cadet 10-04-2010 07:50 AM

I'd say yes. What I particularly like about this game is its amazing story. It just says so much without saying a word, and the way you are free to interpret it anyway you like is simply fascinating.
I sincerely wish the guys from Playdead every success in their future works.

RSS513 10-08-2010 08:23 PM

I hve to agree that all games are art, or non are. I love this game

Perax 10-25-2010 10:23 AM

Love this game, and, its way, it's a piece of art imo.

JakShowtime 11-12-2010 10:22 PM

I'd definitely have to say its art. Right up there with both SotC and Braid, among many, many others.

The Jimmonator 01-03-2011 11:06 AM

all games are art, and as someone said, some games are wonderful pieces of art, others are not so much.

I think the video game industry is under appreciated for its artistic qualities and are often frowned upon just because it's a 'video game' so it must have a bad influence on the kids!

Xenolith666 01-03-2011 10:15 PM

Loving Limbo so far.. it's very ominous and creepy. The deaths are brutal, the puzzles are challenging, but not impossible. I hope they make a sequel!

I would also love for a Shadow of the Colossus game to come to xbox.. I played it on the PS2 and it is very serene and open. With the graphics engines of today it would be an amazing game with picture perfect backgrounds. I would buy the same game if they gave it an upgrade to the 360.

According to Wikipedia, Shadow of the Colossus is going to be re-released with 'Ico' for the PS3 in spring of 2011. Wiki also mentions a possible movie in pre-production slated for release in 2012.. which could be a visually amazing film.
Thank god I have a PS3.. that will be a must buy.

NinjaKiwiVI 01-15-2011 12:37 AM

Most diffidently it's not just any old video game. I loved it and I loved how it was so different from other video games.

radmin6666 01-21-2011 10:45 PM

I know I had to buy this as soon as I saw the art style. I love it, and have bought games largely on the art in the past: Blueberry Garden springs to mind, as does The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom. I place the unreleased 'The Unfinished Swan' in the same category.

Aeuniko 01-23-2011 05:03 PM

For me it IS indeed a piece of art and of course, IMHO, on a level with SotC or other great games which can be seen as art, like Braid.

pined5551 11-06-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten Hipster7 (Post 3449570)
The rule of art: If you have to question if its art, it is.

Sadly you are mistaken.

Dont get me wrong, I think the game is extremely good, very atmospheric and the ending genuinley makes you think. But in order for something to be art, it must have no purpose whatsoever other than to simply exist and be looked at. It is the reason a car can never be classed as art.

I (relecutantly) voted that games are not art and never will be.

JohnAizen 01-28-2012 03:02 AM

I believe it is most definately art

Dz06lt 01-28-2012 03:11 AM

games are art period just like any movie, music or book. Limbo is irrelevant

Madame Kennedy 07-09-2012 07:05 PM

Limbo conquered the concept of games as an art form, and executed it EXQUISITELY. The first time I played the game I was completely speechless at how beautiful it was, and could not find a single criticism for it. I definitely look forward to seeing the next Limbo project!

d0ct0rscarecr0w 07-21-2012 10:06 PM

I love how this only comes up on games like Limbo and Braid. As if video games in general aren't a form of art. That really isn't even up for debate...

Everyone needs to realize that 'art' doesn't have to be classy or sophisticated.

cagedbudgie 07-22-2012 12:05 AM

It's fine to call Limbo and Braid "Art games," in my opinion.

There are movies called "Art movies" but it doesn't mean that The Lord of the Rings isn't art. It's just a name.

d0ct0rscarecr0w 07-22-2012 06:08 AM

you would be hard pressed not to call Limbo or Braid art.

What we should really discuss is if they are art themselves or if all games are art.

CHIRUNO99 07-22-2012 08:18 AM

I think it's difficult to say what games are more considered as art since I don't understand art. I have no idea how to appreciate a painting myself, but I will look at them. This was also a problem I had with GCSE Art when my argument for getting a D was, "So what was the correct answer to get a C?" which all I got was a huge grey area.

I could still say Limbo, Shadow of the Colossus and Braid are very good looking games, along with Okami and Jet Set Radio, but to say it was art is something I'm not sure about, at least not in a high fidelity way. To say it's art is to look further than just the aesthetic and say the game is great.

d0ct0rscarecr0w 07-24-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIRUNO99 (Post 5191551)
I could still say Limbo, Shadow of the Colossus and Braid are very good looking games, along with Okami and Jet Set Radio, but to say it was art is something I'm not sure about, at least not in a high fidelity way. To say it's art is to look further than just the aesthetic and say the game is great.

THANK YOU. I had played this game a long time ago but I never remembered the name.

Anyway, Okami is a really good game to bring up. It does have a very artsy graphic style. However, it doesn't really have any artsy story ark. So is it art?

Mellow Tha Pro 09-17-2012 07:29 PM

Why would Limbo be considered art? Because the graphics are black and white? Because there is barely any audio? Because there is hardly any music and no dialogue? Because the game is like 4 hours long? Someone please explain what was so great about this game, because as far as I'm concerned it was a huge let down. I got the game on sale for 600 microsoft points and I feel like microsoft owes me at least $5 I can't believe anyone paid 1200 microsoft points for this game.

Re4isNumber1 03-28-2013 04:48 AM

Maybe you should go back to Halo!