XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Portal 2 (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1693)
-   -   Confirmed: You can beat coop by yourself (spoilers) (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307025)

J.T. Marsh 04-22-2011 04:00 AM

Confirmed: You can beat coop by yourself (spoilers)
 
Not that anyone cares, but for you anti social folks, I beat co-op split screen today by myself with two controllers.

There were four hard parts involved. Definitely doable.

Very early stage where you have to hit four switches in a row (2 per players)

Every other problem occurs in the final course.

Later level stage where you have to use the box to redirect lasers at the turrets. Tricky to get the timing down, but entirely doable.

The next to last section was very difficult with the bridge and grabbing the box. <- this was the level that took me by far the longest. I think that If I had a 2nd player to just hold the forward button it would a lot easier.

The very last level with the sliding box, creating the bridge. The problem is that player 2 can run forward, but player 1 needs to drop the box down the slide, and then catch up to the bridge. Again, it wouldn't be very complicated for a non gamer to walk forward for you.

Basically, you just need to have a plan in mind. Only a few sections in co op actually require you to be synchronized. None of the game requires you to have two players that know what they are doing.

There are only two online based achievements. One is the professor portal, the other is hug 3 friends. Both are very easy to boost for, although I would recommend trying to boost for professor sooner than later, once this game gets older it will be harder to find people who are playing their first game online.

I have every achievement (entirely playing solo) except for:

Triple Crown: I'm not sure where the game freezes the timer, if it is when you solve the puzzle or when you get both players to the elevator room. If it is the later, that is what really slows me down on these. I still think it is possible solo co-op splitscreen.

Still Alive:
Completely doable solo. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Friendlist with benefits:

I will probably try to boost for this one tomorrow.

RBmaster9345 04-22-2011 04:27 AM

Well with a guest account it would make sense you could technically push through it by yourself. That sorta ruins the co-op mode though

Bringin SXC bak 04-22-2011 04:54 AM

Your a funny bugger. Nice effort mate :)

KongQuest 04-22-2011 05:06 AM

Edit: deleted

Venomized 04-22-2011 05:52 AM

Why the hell would you ever do that? Why take the fun away? Shared sorrow is half the sorrow, shared joy is double the joy. And let me tell you, fucking co-op is amazing with a friend. Lots of laughs. And lots frustration but with the frustration is more laughs because you become so frustrated!

Sms4001 04-22-2011 07:09 AM

Thanks for this! Was wondering if you could but figured the puzzles would be way too complicated for it.

weewaww 04-22-2011 08:03 AM

omg funny ppl lol....i can agree with the schedule conflict issue. That part sucks. A guy that saw my post on the portal professor achievement added me and I got lucky and he helped all the way through coop and finished it. kudos to you guys bc some of those are a bitch doing with two able players.

brad soup 04-22-2011 09:39 AM

Scheduling issues? Meh. I had the entire co-op campaign beaten by 7 AM on release day. And it was a blast. Grab a buddy and get your split screen on, it's not too bad. I can only see this being useful to mop up any achievements you miss the first time through.

DerEnglaender 04-22-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.T. Marsh (Post 4175999)
Not that anyone cares, but for you anti social folks, I beat co-op split screen today by myself with two controllers.

Congrats man. Thats a real achievement. Well done. Seriously.
(No Sarcasm)

brad soup 04-22-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerEnglaender (Post 4176465)
Congrats man. Thats a real achievement. Well done. Seriously.
(No Sarcasm)

...I feel like maybe you're not being entirely sincere...

Raijin Quickfoot 04-22-2011 12:57 PM

I started trying to do this but I got bored pretty quick. I'm going to try to get my completely non-gamer wife to work through it with my instead.

brad soup 04-22-2011 02:43 PM

For the record, you can do Triple Crown by yourself as well, I just got it. Did chambers 2-4, the latter two were cake and chamber 2 wasn't terribly difficult. I'm pretty sure the timer stops as soon as you solve the chamber, before you go through the door. Because I finished with chamber 4, and the achievement popped as soon as I dropped the safety cube in the hole.

BruDrew 04-22-2011 02:59 PM

On Still Alive, you HAVE to do it all in one run. I died accidentally on 4-9, just went back to hub then tried to finish straight from 4-9 and I didn't get the achievement. Just in case anyone was curious about that being possible or not.

DerEnglaender 04-22-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad soup (Post 4176535)

no im being genuine. i jsut read it after writing and realised it could be misconstrued

Page1992 04-22-2011 06:57 PM

I've finally got my final achievement "still laive" by completing co-op on my own

T3z 04-23-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomized (Post 4176135)
Why the hell would you ever do that? Why take the fun away? Shared sorrow is half the sorrow, shared joy is double the joy. And let me tell you, fucking co-op is amazing with a friend. Lots of laughs. And lots frustration but with the frustration is more laughs because you become so frustrated!

He stated that he was anti-social. Don't be a dick.

d0ct0rscarecr0w 04-23-2011 04:34 AM

well now I know if all else fails I still have myself.

SpiralGamerpro 04-23-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0ct0rscarecr0w (Post 4178390)
well now I know if all else fails I still have myself.

Thanks for this. I'm looking very forward to what you have to say in the future./sarcasm

d0ct0rscarecr0w 04-23-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiralGamerpro (Post 4178504)
Thanks for this. I'm looking very forward to what you have to say in the future./sarcasm

almost as useful as your comment ~.^

Crimson Ridley 04-23-2011 07:46 PM

Just completed co-op by myself. Those last few levels were a bitch having to use my toes or mouth to move the analog stick at the same time as using my hands to move the other one.

But, it's done, and I'm glad I did it alone, as people can piss me off very quickly and I'd rather yell at myself than a friend.

EDIT: In response to what you said about Triple Crown; The game freezes the timer as soon as you complete the puzzle, not when you enter the tube at the end. I just unlocked the achievement right after placing the ball on the button.

So just Professor Portal left. :)

DarkReign2021 04-24-2011 01:07 AM

Nice find OP. I started going through Co-op by myself today with my regular acct and a guest account. I figured with some careful timing it would all be beatable. The only offline cheevo I figure will be difficult is the one requiring you to beat the 3 tests under a certain time limit. I might get somebody to help me with that one and hugs and Prof. Portal achievements this monday (Guess I oughta hurry. I only have the game for a few more days.)

Red Testament 04-24-2011 01:26 AM

Right now I've completed two of the courses by myself. Only a time or two its been challenging because of a lack of a human player. My friends no longer have 360's. After they "Red Ring of Death" they never got another one. They all have PS3's.

I just don't feel like finding a random person to play with. Thankfully there is split screen so I can just get them to come to my house and play soon.

Vault Lad 04-24-2011 02:38 PM

HA! this is kind of great :woop:

It completely diminished the value, now, sure.
But 2-3 years down the road, when it might end up like TF2, this will be godsend to someone.

d0ct0rscarecr0w 04-24-2011 10:34 PM

just completed it, there was a button and gel problem near the very end that was hard to do seeing as you had to have one character run straight while the other had to fire portals and press buttons, but eventually I got it using a rubber band haha.

TheUglyCasanova 04-25-2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Testament (Post 4180296)
Right now I've completed two of the courses by myself. Only a time or two its been challenging because of a lack of a human player. My friends no longer have 360's. After they "Red Ring of Death" they never got another one. They all have PS3's.

I just don't feel like finding a random person to play with. Thankfully there is split screen so I can just get them to come to my house and play soon.

You should of made sure to laugh at them being unable to play online since Wednesday while you had no problems. :woop:

DylanShaw 04-25-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomized (Post 4176135)
Why the hell would you ever do that? Why take the fun away? Shared sorrow is half the sorrow, shared joy is double the joy. And let me tell you, fucking co-op is amazing with a friend. Lots of laughs. And lots frustration but with the frustration is more laughs because you become so frustrated!

i agree with this guy ^

the whole point of co-op is for the lols
just using it to farm gamerscore is just plain lame

d0ct0rscarecr0w 04-25-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanShaw (Post 4182507)
i agree with this guy ^

the whole point of co-op is for the lols
just using it to farm gamerscore is just plain lame

I love how you know what you are talking about. yeah the whole reason I played through co-op alone was farming gamerscore, here is a thought maybe ITS BECAUSE I DON"T HAVE ANYONE TO PLAY WITH.

thanks for knowing nothing about what is going one.

SpiralGamerpro 04-25-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanShaw (Post 4182507)
i agree with this guy ^

the whole point of co-op is for the lols
just using it to farm gamerscore is just plain lame

You say this on a site about Achievements.

icedawg 11-23-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanShaw (Post 4182507)
i agree with this guy ^

the whole point of co-op is for the lols
just using it to farm gamerscore is just plain lame

I actually signed up just to call you a douchebag--that's how big of a douchebag I think you are.

icedawg 01-12-2014 03:34 PM

Just wanted to confirm that it is indeed possible to beat co-op by yourself, using 2 controllers (and same with the co-op DLC Peer Review).


It's really not that difficult as there are only a handful of levels that require actual synchronization; even those levels, however, don't really require any tricks. I didn't have to like use my feet or mouth to hold a controller or anything like that. And to those doubters who think it ruins co-op, I found it a lot of fun.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.