XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gatling Gears (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2003)
-   -   I would buy this if it wasn't 1200 points. (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309794)

BANNED! 05-11-2011 09:03 AM

I would buy this if it wasn't 1200 points.
 
I would absolutely buy this game if it was released for 800 points. But for 1200, I will not even be tempted to get it. Microsoft and their price gouging have cost them at least one sale.

Patience is a virtue, and it can save you money as well. In 2010 there were 27 games released at 1200 points or higher. Of these 27 games, 21 have already been on sale. Some for as low as 400 points.

Counting Gatling Gears, there has now been 10 games released in 2011 for 1200 points. This trend of increasing arcade prices is only going to continue. However, I will not support it. I will wait for it to go on sale instead.

tS-BLiTZ 05-11-2011 05:22 PM

Sucks for you then. This is probably the best game of this genre on Xbox 360.

Polygon Pirate 05-11-2011 11:56 PM

Yes, I agree. Fantastic twin stick shooter!

.

swamptastic 05-12-2011 06:09 AM

800 points is an absolute steal for a game. Also harder for devs to get paid on. Some games are more than worth 1200 points. And that's still a great price regardless. I've played many arcade games longer than some retail, and for a quarter of the price or less. Plus the concepts alone are sometimes worth paying a bit more. You can think of agreeing to the higher cost as supporting MS, even though they've plainly laid out they aren't the only factor in a game's price point. I think of it as supporting the devs. Downloaded the trial for this and if I enjoy it I'll purchase the full game immediately. I mean, I kinda owe it to them. I bought Greed Corp for 160 points.

Beer N Midgets 05-12-2011 11:27 AM

Is Microsoft really to blame for this game being $15 though? I'm pretty sure this is coming to PSN too, and it'll most likely be the same price.

sepulturas666 05-12-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer N Midgets (Post 4219201)
Is Microsoft really to blame for this game being $15 though? I'm pretty sure this is coming to PSN too, and it'll most likely be the same price.

Probably we should blame the publisher - EA? I remember their game Shank, which costs 1200pts too. Bought it day 1 and wasnt't worth it at that price. I'll pass this time. 600pts on DOTW after 1-2 months. :Bounce:

Quote:

800 points is an absolute steal for a game. Also harder for devs to get paid on.
Only few devs has made good money from 1200pts games so far - Chair, The Behemoth, Playdead Studios
For the rest price like this is just a nail in their coffin, because huge procent of the gamers doesn't even bother to download a trial for these games.

How excellent games like Bangai-o HD and Outland are 800pts with as much content (if not even more) as gatling gears? Just don't want to support the trend called ''1200pts'' anymore.

BANNED! 05-12-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamptastic (Post 4218871)
I've played many arcade games longer than some retail, and for a quarter of the price or less.

I agree entirely with the quote above. I am a avid arcade gamer who owns well over 250 arcade games. I have bought plenty of them in the past at the 1200 price point. While some may be worth the 1200 price, I sadly found out that most were not. Some were almost criminal to sell at 1200 (Virtual On, NBA Unrivaled, Fret Nice, Faery, etc).

For 1200 points one should expect a game to be better than a 800 point game, but it is rarely the case. Like Sepultaras666 said with his examples of Bangai-o HD and Outland, many of the 800 games are better. For a substantial increase in price you would think there would be some distinctions between 1200 and 800 point games, but there is not.

I started this thread because I am tired of the 1200 point games, and I will not support that price point. You can convince yourself that the price is justified, and that I am missing out on a great game. Will you say the same thing when 1600 point arcade games become commonplace?

swamptastic 05-12-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepulturas666 (Post 4219225)
Only few devs has made good money from 1200pts games so far - Chair, The Behemoth, Playdead Studios
For the rest price like this is just a nail in their coffin, because huge procent of the gamers doesn't even bother to download a trial for these games.

This actually gives evidence for my point. We the gamers are at fault they don't make better money from this. We think these games aren't worth 1200 points so we don't download the trial. If more of us would support this price point the devs would make more money. Yes, it's great when devs offer 800 point games which are worth more. The point is they're selling them for less than they should because they want cheap-ass gamers to buy the game. If they thought they could have a hit at the 1200 point level, they'd sell at that level. Not all games are worth 1200 points, of course. And I certainly appreciate purchasing 800 and 400 point games which are worth that price. But I support the 1200 price point when I feel it makes sense for the game.

swamptastic 05-12-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BANNED! (Post 4219414)
You can convince yourself that the price is justified, and that I am missing out on a great game. Will you say the same thing when 1600 point arcade games become commonplace?

I purchased GTA IV: The Lost and Damned for 1600 points. Thought it was well worth it. But your argument is false. Supporting a reasonable price point of 1200 when the value of the game matches the amount doesn't necessarily mean we are enabling devs to charge an even higher price. It means we're showing the devs with our money - which is like a vote, to some extent - we value their product. We're giving them just a little extra on the off-chance they'll make a profit and create another great game. If you can't afford it, I understand that. But that's a different issue. The issue here is devs are artists and they deserve to make a decent living making the things we enjoy. Ever heard of inflation? If we don't pay the devs more money as prices increase elsewhere, they'll simply go out of business.

Darth Cuda 05-12-2011 10:28 PM

I agree with op. 1200 is too much for this game. I was on the fence wondering whether or not I wanted to buy the 800 MS points (during my demo play through) the game was maybe worth it. When I realized they wanted $15 I thought forget it. There wasn't even a plot just walk shoot and as the game touts "blow shit up". Well Just cause 2 does better at blowing shit up and I already own it.

BANNED! 05-13-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamptastic (Post 4219475)
If you can't afford it, I understand that. But that's a different issue.

Like I stated in a earlier post, I already own 250+ arcade games. I also own around 200 retail games, so for me this is not about being able to afford the games. For me not buying 1200 point games is the principle of the matter. 1200 point games continue to be released that are simply not worth the price. As a consumer I decided to take a stand and not support this trend.

Swamptastic mentions supporting the developers, and as my purchasing history dictates, I have supported them. I also support American dairy farmers, but if the price of milk jumped from $3 to $5 because the dairy farmers just wanted more money, I would not support them either. There is no difference in quality between a $3 and $5 gallon of milk, and that is the issue I am having with 1200 point games. There is no better value in a 1200 point game than a 800 point game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamptastic (Post 4219475)
Ever heard of inflation? If we don't pay the devs more money as prices increase elsewhere, they'll simply go out of business.

Sorry but I do not agree with this logic. Because of inflation, consumers essentially have less money and purchasing power. But according to your rational we should "give them (developers) a little extra" for them overpricing a game while we have less money to spend? If this makes you happy, then by all means continue. However, I take no satisfaction in knowing I overpaid for something.

swamptastic 05-13-2011 05:09 AM

Yeah, I'll give you the inflation logic was pretty flawed. I just don't see there's any evidence these devs are pushing prices up out of simple greed. Perhaps they think charging an extra 400 points for all their work isn't much. I personally agree with many of them.

Beer N Midgets 05-14-2011 01:36 AM

I miss out on a lot of good games as well because I don't like to spend more than $10 on downloadable games like these. I made exceptions for the two Serious Sam games on XBLA, but that was because I played them in the past and already knew I liked them. But other than that I either wait for a sale or just skip the game completely if it happens to go on sale at a time I can't afford more points.

That said, I own Gatling Gears because I won it in a contest from GamePro. It's a fun game, but not one I would have paid $15 for. I don't blame you for waiting for it to go on sale.

Todaysforgotten 05-14-2011 03:00 PM

If you like the game or the genre why does price matter? I get the whole price-point argument. I get it, but if you're saving this purchase simply to save a few dollars on getting achievements...well thats about as pointless as getting achievements in the first place.

On-the-flip. I do agree this type of game honestly is not worth 15 dollars and honestly it doesnt look that great.

BANNED! 05-15-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todaysforgotten (Post 4223596)
I get it, but if you're saving this purchase simply to save a few dollars on getting achievements...well thats about as pointless as getting achievements in the first place.

Achievements do not factor into any of my XBLA purchases, and Gatling Gears is no exception. I have never knowingly bought a shitty game just because I wanted the achievement points. (although I have bought games that I turned out to dislike). I think anyone who purchases a game solely for the achievements is spending their money foolishly and is missing the point of playing video games.

However, people value achievements differently, and I respect that. Even though you say achievements are pointless, they must hold a little value to you otherwise you probably would have never registered on this site. I feel like you do, but to a lesser extent, about the notion that achievements are arbitrary, but I admit they sometimes give me a feeling of accomplishment.

Regardless whether we like them or not, achievements are here to stay and have forever changed the landscape of video games.

Hoffer 05-16-2011 10:53 PM

I would have bought it in a second at 800. I played the demo and thought about it for about 4 days before I did end up buying it. I thought maybe I'd wait for it to go on sale, but I was weak.

Vigor 05-24-2011 06:35 AM

Take it from me or whatever, polished game or not, 1200 is too much for this relative short game.
The matchmaking for co-op is terrible and soon it'll be dead anyway so grab them G's quick if you were dumb like me to get it at 1200.

I keep telling myself: do not buy at release, wait for DotW but I never listen.

El Grave 06-23-2011 07:20 PM

I heard the game is now 800 MSP. Don't know if this a deal or something, or that they lowered the price, there is nothing mentioned anywhere. But for 800 msp I'm going to think about it.

BANNED! 06-25-2011 11:27 AM

I just bought it for 800 points. It took a little over a month for the price to drop. As I said in my first post, "Patience is a virtue and it can save you money as well".
After playing it for awhile I can honestly say that the game is not worth 1200 points. Even on sale at 800 points, there are better arcade games out there. Gatling Gears is not a bad game by any means, but not a great game either.

neverendr 06-26-2011 08:01 AM

I waited as well...I love twin stick shooters and tended to pick up any that came out for a couple of years, but I've had it with paying $15 for half-assed games. I loved the Gatling Gears demo and honestly thought it was 800msp, it feels like a game that's worth 800, but when I finished the demo and hit the button to unlock the full version I saw the pricetag and deleted the game. When it mysteriously started being advertised on my dashboard for 800msp I went ahead and bought the full version and downloaded it again. I'm enjoying playing it with my wife, haven't tried it on live yet but I hope it plays well.

I'm similar to one of the above posters, I have over 200 arcade titles and somewhere between 350-400 retail titles...I tend to hit Gamestop when they have the buy 2 used games get 1 free and always end up with at least 6-9 purchases, sometimes I end up getting 15 up to 30 titles if I manage to get to a store (or sometimes two) before they're completely picked over...I pick up games I know I'll enjoy through preorders, usually 3-4 a month, then I end up cashing in all of the "rewards pro points" or whatever they call them for stacks of $15 off any used game or accessory coupons and spend them during the next buy 2 get 1 free promo. The damned online passes have started to cramp my process a little bit, but I just get those games new if I have any desire to play them...I keep ending up with 30,000-40,000 reward points every couple of months just for buying stuff I was going to purchase anyway, can't beat it for $15 a year with the game informer magazine included and the coupons they always send on your birthday.

Anyway, after my somewhat off topic rant...well, at least it involved discussion of prices...but in the case of Gatling Gears, I bet a lot of people took a pass on it for 1200 and EA freaked a bit that a well reviewed title was selling poorly, so they dropped it to 800 to make up their money in sales volume rather than profit per unit. I'll take sales volume every time, especially on games with multiplayer on live, since we all have more folks to play with.

Cheers :)

Fronkey 10-13-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon Pirate (Post 4218389)
Yes, I agree. Fantastic twin stick shooter!

Kill Team is a solid second, but is way too short.

DeceitfulWings 10-24-2011 01:55 PM

I got lucky and was able to snag the game when it went on the 'Deal of the Week' section for 400msp. I have to say probably one of the greatest deals I've been able to catch on XBL. I absolutely love this game! Wish there were more games like this.

Srfsmurf 01-03-2012 04:43 PM

Its for sale for 400 msp again now

FiReStOrM^ 03-26-2012 03:57 PM

I bought this for 800MSP i belive after playing Kill Team. TBH i find it rather boring, I really enjoyed Kill Team (I also love these 3rd person twin stick shooters), although it was quite short. This however I don't enjoy quite as much. Still, it's alright.

BurntToast 07-10-2013 02:06 AM

I 100% agree.... you just have to wait it out


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.