XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alice: Madness Returns (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2158)
-   -   American McGee's Alice walkthrough???? (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318001)

jenafer6 06-30-2011 08:03 PM

American McGee's Alice walkthrough????
 
Does anyone know if there is a walkthrough for this game anywhere on the web? I am just ready to finish this game and do not feel like trying to figure some parts of it out.. I know it's lazy but I have a ton of other stuff I could be working on. Thx in advance...:)

CrispyVictim 06-30-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenafer6 (Post 4330800)
Does anyone know if there is a walkthrough for this game anywhere on the web? I am just ready to finish this game and do not feel like trying to figure some parts of it out.. I know it's lazy but I have a ton of other stuff I could be working on. Thx in advance...:)

It's really not that hard to figure out for the most part. I used a speed run on Youtube on a couple parts though. Good luck...

Fatalfox 06-30-2011 08:33 PM

Yeah this game is pretty awful and I would like to get through it fast too if possible

JKSullivan 06-30-2011 08:59 PM

I used one of the ones on gamefaqs for the PC version . . . it was very helpful.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/913791-am...ice/faqs/36858

Trinity3Sixty 06-30-2011 09:03 PM

How long did it take you to get through it? I am not sure I could suffer through too much of this so was wondering how long it takes.

defaultdotxbe 06-30-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKSullivan (Post 4330911)
I used one of the ones on gamefaqs for the PC version . . . it was very helpful.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/913791-am...ice/faqs/36858

ditto, very little (if anything) was changed from the PC version as far as gameply

Nitnoid 06-30-2011 11:51 PM

Sorry, have to vent here. This game is SO bad. In chapter 2 you jump across rearranging blocks of walkway and if you miss JUST ONCE, you have to wait like 5 minutes before the walkway blocks animate back to you? Geez!

And to mention the crappy controls and lack of any combat tutorial is just awful. This feels like an early 80's game. Only worse. I'd rather be playing Commander Keen! God, please give me strength to finish this game!

jenafer6 07-01-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitnoid (Post 4331257)
Sorry, have to vent here. This game is SO bad. In chapter 2 you jump across rearranging blocks of walkway and if you miss JUST ONCE, you have to wait like 5 minutes before the walkway blocks animate back to you? Geez!

And to mention the crappy controls and lack of any combat tutorial is just awful. This feels like an early 80's game. Only worse. I'd rather be playing Commander Keen! God, please give me strength to finish this game!

lmao, I know right?! It is terrible. F'ed up controls, lack of any direction, so far I am about 6 hours in and I just want to die. Worst part is if you forget to save and die some stupid death due to "floating" off the edge of a platform or something when you jump.... 2 more chapters to go tho.. and thx for that gamefaqs thing, I never remember to look there:woop:

Nitnoid 07-02-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenafer6 (Post 4333074)
lmao, I know right?! It is terrible. F'ed up controls, lack of any direction, so far I am about 6 hours in and I just want to die. Worst part is if you forget to save and die some stupid death due to "floating" off the edge of a platform or something when you jump.... 2 more chapters to go tho.. and thx for that gamefaqs thing, I never remember to look there:woop:

You certainly hit the nail on the head about the saves. I can't even remember which slot was my last save so I end up reloading several times before I find the right one.

I did read through that guide and now I know I can "shoot" the knife. Maybe I'll die less often and can concentrate on dying from missing platforms instead...

Dalglish YNWA96 07-02-2011 03:25 PM

I definately would not say this game is awful. This has been one of the best games I have played in a long time. The only reason why I want a guide is to help me find the memories and the pig snouts. Apart from that... I LOVE THIS GAME!!! :D

StolenPaper18 07-02-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalglish YNWA96 (Post 4334561)
I definately would not say this game is awful. This has been one of the best games I have played in a long time. The only reason why I want a guide is to help me find the memories and the pig snouts. Apart from that... I LOVE THIS GAME!!! :D

Pretty sure they are talking about American McGee's Alice...Not Alice Madness Returns.

OT: I don't understand all the hate AM's Alice is getting. I thought it was fantastic. Sure the game is slightly dated, but I still found it a really fun and enjoyable game. Personally, I ran into more glitches and annoying parts in Madness Returns than I did in AM's Alice. Controls and gameplay did not bother me the slightest bit. Maybe some people just can't get used to the way the game plays or something.

Nitnoid 07-02-2011 03:58 PM

No, I really loved Madness Returns. Its the original that is a problem. There are no real checkpoints and if you forget to save, and save OFTEN, like after every jump you make, you get to do it all over again! Yay! NOT....

GENWAKU 07-07-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitnoid (Post 4331257)
Sorry, have to vent here. This game is SO bad. In chapter 2 you jump across rearranging blocks of walkway and if you miss JUST ONCE, you have to wait like 5 minutes before the walkway blocks animate back to you? Geez!

And to mention the crappy controls and lack of any combat tutorial is just awful. This feels like an early 80's game. Only worse. I'd rather be playing Commander Keen! God, please give me strength to finish this game!

Seriously agreed. What's most infuriating, other than how terrible this original game is, is the fact that I almost don't want to suffer through it for the 1000GS. Madness Returns on nightmare was a piece of cake in comparison and it's all down to this one being poorly designed and, let's face it, just plain difficult even on easy.

I'm about ready to call it quits.

Nitnoid 07-07-2011 06:01 PM

Another thing to mention here, so that nobody else falls into the same trap, the last two save slots are only temporary saves. If you are quitting the game for the current session, make SURE you are not saving to these slots. It appears that the auto save is slot 1 so I recommend saving to either slots 2, 3, or 4 only. Unless its just my system that is wonky...

CrispyVictim 07-07-2011 09:11 PM

American McGee's Alice isn't a bad game, it's just old. When it first came out, it was an amazing game. I still enjoyed it 10 years later.

You guys seriously don't recognize why this game isn't as fun as newer games? This game came out before the original XBox was even released. It's not a bad game. If you look at many of the other games that came out in 2000, Alice was a great game for its time.

Turdboi 07-07-2011 09:14 PM

I was looking forward to starting this off but after reading these comments I think I will just use a guide torun through it as quick as possible

GENWAKU 07-07-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyVictim (Post 4345169)
American McGee's Alice isn't a bad game, it's just old. When it first came out, it was an amazing game. I still enjoyed it 10 years later.

You guys seriously don't recognize why this game isn't as fun as newer games? This game came out before the original XBox was even released. It's not a bad game. If you look at many of the other games that came out in 2000, Alice was a great game for its time.

I don't know. I'm a fanatic for other older games, from the 80s and 90s and this feels much older than it actually is. Hell, my favourite series of all time are old and have aged perfectly. Monkey Island, King's Quest, Castlevania. All, in my opinion, have aged really well. Alice hasn't.

I mean, the story is flawless. I love it. I love the music, the plot, the characters and I can even sing the praises of the graphics at certain parts, but the game itself, the combat, the platforming... to be frank it's just awful.

Which is a shame because I wanted to love it, but I basically have to force myself through it and it's such a chore. :(

VaRIABLE SoUL 07-08-2011 03:25 AM

I had this game back in 2000 and I could not get passed the 2nd stage lol. Eleven years later and with a controller I finally beat this game. It's a fun game but I agree with a lot of posters in here about why it's difficult. You need a diff mindset when you play it. Too many times have I been knocked off the platforms into an early death.. But if you stick with it and get the Jacks then the game isnt too bad. Just uh.. be careful with the platforming on the end boss lol.

Ryuukishi 07-12-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitnoid (Post 4344825)
Another thing to mention here, so that nobody else falls into the same trap, the last two save slots are only temporary saves. If you are quitting the game for the current session, make SURE you are not saving to these slots. It appears that the auto save is slot 1 so I recommend saving to either slots 2, 3, or 4 only. Unless its just my system that is wonky...

Wow, I was wondering why my saves in slots 5 and 6 deleted themselves, I thought it was a glitch. Luckily the last autosave was very recent so I didn't lose much progress.

xxchelzxx 07-13-2011 01:24 AM

These worked best for me

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/...McGeeAlice.htm
http://www.archive.org/details/Ameri...eo_Walkthrough

baka32 07-13-2011 11:00 PM

nice, thanks you for this alice walktrough :rock

Nitnoid 07-16-2011 02:36 AM

Boy, am I glad THAT'S done! Once you get the jacks, it isn't as bad as the beginning chapters. But I never want to play this game again. NEVER!

PBALL 07-18-2011 05:29 AM

That damned Jabberwocky is ruining me! I can't hit it for crap, I can't run, I can't do anything but die. Urgh!

NorthernZoot 07-22-2011 02:40 AM

I followed the video walkthrough found at

http://www.archive.org/details/Ameri...eo_Walkthrough

It's a great walkthrough for those who didn't really want to spend time figuring out the game, but rather just rip through the chapters as quickly as possible... the player in the video doesn't even stop to fight many of the enemies, and skips by plenty of juicy little powerups and weapons...

But they get it all done in just over 2 hours (including cutscenes, and long black screens during load times). Definitely a great resource for those who just want to be done with those last 6 achievements.

As for me, I'm at 1000G for this game so that's all folks!

Earth Djinn 07-26-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernZoot (Post 4374765)
I followed the video walkthrough found at

http://www.archive.org/details/Ameri...eo_Walkthrough

It's a great walkthrough for those who didn't really want to spend time figuring out the game, but rather just rip through the chapters as quickly as possible... the player in the video doesn't even stop to fight many of the enemies, and skips by plenty of juicy little powerups and weapons...

But they get it all done in just over 2 hours (including cutscenes, and long black screens during load times). Definitely a great resource for those who just want to be done with those last 6 achievements.

As for me, I'm at 1000G for this game so that's all folks!

Thanks for linking this, it's really helpful and (hopefully) will dramatically reduce the time needed to finish AMA so I can finally get started on Madness returns.

Abra x Cadaver 08-02-2011 05:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

sapphire1983 08-03-2011 06:28 PM

If you just play the game without a walktrough how long will ik take?
loved madness returns but I played the first for a short while now and the only reason I keep playing is for the achievements,I hate the way Alice moves in this one and the stupid autosaves at the begin of a level only

DanceRandyDance 08-12-2011 12:31 AM

I seem to be the only one who enjoyed the original. I remember playing it on my dad's pc when I was younger, and beating it. It was the only reason I had any desire to check out Madness returns!

Illicit 08-15-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanceRandyDance (Post 4417876)
I seem to be the only one who enjoyed the original. I remember playing it on my dad's pc when I was younger, and beating it. It was the only reason I had any desire to check out Madness returns!

That's why I bought Madness Returns as well...but I am having a hard time getting into American McGee's Alice again. It's normal for me though, it seems like the games I used to love and spend hours upon hours playing (most recently: Alice, Duke Nukem 3d, Wolfenstein) now just don't do it for me. I have a brief feeling of nostalgia and once that fades we don't get along too well. I think I'll eventually get through it.

SLEEPYvsPSYCHO 08-22-2011 02:12 PM

This was the worst game I have ever played.. It was a real pain all the way to the end.

Thank god for the speedrun-guide on youtube!


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.