XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   We all will miss you, old friend. And f**k you EA! (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323927)

gamerscorhunta 08-11-2011 02:49 PM

We all will miss you, old friend. And f**k you EA!

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was one of the first shooters on the Xbox 360, and gave us console gamers a first glimpse of what Dice would laer offer us through to robust and amazing Bad Company series. While I wish I could go back and enjoy this game today, I cannot, for EA have shut down the servers within hours of my current time. Thnak you EA, for once again, destroying my hopes of earning all achievements (I had only one achievement to go online, 500 sessions) and making another shady move to push people towards your new games, which while good, I would've prefered to play the games I want to play.

Good bye forever! Post your fun, horrible, or just outrageous memories of this game here. Just a departing letter for the game that led to one of the greatest FPS's of all time.

Minty 08-11-2011 03:02 PM

The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.

The Betrayer142 08-11-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minty (Post 4416853)
The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.

Give him a break. Yes, if he was truly a hardcore Battlefield player he would have had 500 sessions, but I imagine his point was that he was feeling sad to see it go and was planning on getting that last achievement at some point in the future.

Hell, I hardly played Army of Two more than 2 or 3 campaign runs and a small bit of multiplayer but I have really fond memories of it and I'm sad to see it go and I didn't have the 1 billion achievement.

Vendetta 08-11-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.

edw211 08-11-2011 04:37 PM

I picked up this game a week before shutdown as a challenge to myself to see if I could bang out all the online stuff in one week. Though I did manage to do that, along the way, I realized I actually quite liked the game and wish I had more time to have fun with it.

Feel the same way about Army of Two. Legitimately playing bounties in Iraq was a blast; now I can never do it again =(

The thing you have to keep in mind is that we achievement hunters represent a comparatively small portion of the online gaming community. I can't in good conscience fault EA for shutting down Battlefield 2 and devoting those servers to more modern purposes. From a business standpoint, I doubt they're going to keep up the servers that cost them money when they have far more populous games to support. It's all supply and demand. There is virtually no demand for Battlefield 2 servers anymore, and tons of demand for Bad Company performance. So where do you think EA is going to commit the supply of those servers?

EA's shutdown policy may have the effect of making me think twice before buying an EA game, but I do know that EA is a company, I am far in the minority, and that companies exist for the sole purpose of making money. If anyone should be demonized, it's the retail outlets, especially Gamestop who should know better, that continue to sell incomplete EA games at the same retail price post-shutdown.

2Bad2Fast 08-12-2011 09:20 AM

well ass soon as TA posted it was geting shutdown i got bf mc2 and ao2 and finished all online up with in a week. so its your folt you dident get it ;)

but ea do suck

Rep 08-12-2011 09:26 AM

At least they had it up for 5 years instead of closing some of these other's that are only a couple.

green light ops 08-13-2011 04:04 AM

There were just three multiplayer chievos left for me and I didn't get them. It's no big deal, really. I didn't have the time or patience to go for the 200/500 sessions, though I did manage to get the others out of the way. The 50 major victories I kind of had the time for and should have gone for it but, again, it's nothing. But, regardless, I am still sad to see such a popular shooter go.

Way I see it, it's like losing a loved one. You had some great memories together since the beginning, but you knew that, at one point, it would all come to an end. This was just Modern Combat's end.

"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

gamerscorhunta 08-13-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta (Post 4416977)
Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.

I didn't learn of the news until the prior Sunday. Honestly, if EA didn't have Bioware and DICE in their developer line-up, I would never buy any of their games. They are worse than Activision, I mean, look at Call of Duty 2. That game is six years old! Older than Battlefield 2, more people play Battlefield 2, they shut down the servers for BF2, yet CoD2 is still up. Honestly, EA shouldn't even be selling their games on retail if you're paying for a portion of the game, and not the whole game. I could give a shit less about their whole "We have full rights to shut down servers for our games, we will give a thirty day notice." It's bullshit.

gamerscorhunta 08-13-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but how the fuck are games like SOCOM 3 still up? That game was in the LAST gaming generation, and yet, Zipper Interactive keeps those servers up. No company should shut down the servers for a game, and then be stubborn as hell and not hand the servers over to somebody else to manage. I also have obviously not had the luxury to be able to boost the damn game until this "thirty day notice" came up and everybody was frantic to max out all those EA games they left in the dust. Honestly, it's the fact EA doesn't give a flying fuck about the people they leave behind when they shut down those servers. They don't unlock the online achievements for those who don't already have those, they don't hand over the servers to somebody who actually care about the game still. Nope. They are stubborn as hell, and is a primary reason why EA will always remain the biggest asshole of the industry.

2Bad2Fast 08-17-2011 06:10 PM

most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.

bfmc 08-23-2011 09:26 PM

battlefields modern combat 2

hi all i just wanna say that i am also devastated that bfmc has been taken off line, and would have loved for it to stay on-line because no matter what we all spent money on these games, and then got blatantly robbed by ea, bcos no matter what games should be left on, but ea are defo money grabbing cxxts who keep bringing a load of games out at once just so they can do what there doing, so we all need to fight on to get that brilliant game bfmc 2 back on-line and get what we paid for, so to all you bfmc hardcore players dont just walk away lets get it back.

gamerscorhunta 08-26-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Bad2Fast (Post 4428836)
most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.

Sorry, this isn't legible at all, haha.

Basically, EA seems to not give a damn about anybody but themselves. I say, Kotick is cooler than EA.

2Bad2Fast 09-05-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamerscorhunta (Post 4446668)
Sorry, this isn't legible at all, haha.

Basically, EA seems to not give a damn about anybody but themselves. I say, Kotick is cooler than EA.

think as you wish :)

gamerscorhunta 09-08-2011 01:38 AM

As I am, haha. Oh.... shit. Do you guys think EA would unlock ONE achievement for me just so I'm not left out only 950/1000? I have every online achievement except the 500 sessions.

123abc 09-09-2011 06:33 AM

i havent even bought this game yet so i probably wont

gamerscorhunta 09-10-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123abc (Post 4480164)
i havent even bought this game yet so i probably wont

You're not missing much, to be honest. It's good, but nowhere near as good as the Bad Company series.

likeitwas1980 09-15-2011 03:41 PM

yea not too happy about them shutting it down, i should of kept going instead of going to a different game

Space Cadet 10-16-2011 07:14 PM

Boy do I hope they don't shut down Bad Company servers for at least another year. I love that game so much.

Jimbo Dredd 11-23-2011 09:47 AM

OP is right...

The OP is right - they should never take a game offline altogether. It isn't like they can't afford some limited support - or hand some servers to microsoft so they can keep it running on XBL as long as they keep selling it.

Seeing as they are pushing this in the XBOX fan appreciation sale on now:

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/22/xb...eciation-sale/

with just the slightest note at the end of the blurb:
"Some multi-player functionalities may no longer be supported."

which most people are likely to miss.

Bit of a scam for them to keep selling it if they don't want to support it anymore....

Johnysnake 12-07-2011 10:33 PM

Yeah, it sucks. And i cant believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and im a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldnt that be awesome? Ive added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. Im sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:
[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:
Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

Ive also made a video, you can find it here:
BFP4F Backstab map suggestion (promo video) - YouTube

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/i...ilies/wink.gif Johnysnake

icecrazy 12-14-2011 08:48 PM

aww, i wish a had more time to do the 5 chieevos i had left, i liked this game, the first game i've played online, i think instead of closing they should merge games with a lower frequency of players into a single server, slower but still online

HMS Resolution 01-08-2012 02:43 AM

I was playing this back before I even had a 360. In '05 this was raging on the PS2...I would have had all the achievements too. When I bought a 360 though I sort of forgot about my long lost friend. I did manage to get a couple of online cheevos before they pulled the plug. I was 13 when I played this for the first time, now I am 20 and I still have fond memories of this game...You will be missed indeed. I am keeping the 360 game disc forever. You can still listen to the menu music which brings me back.

CoziestParasite 03-17-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnysnake (Post 4743264)
Yeah, it sucks. And i cant believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and im a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldnt that be awesome? Ive added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. Im sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:
[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:
Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

Ive also made a video, you can find it here:
BFP4F Backstab map suggestion (promo video) - YouTube

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/i...ilies/wink.gif Johnysnake

You're not even being subtle with this. 0/10, EA viral advertising at its worst.

quickhhh 08-20-2012 09:45 AM

Man I really miss this game. I want to play a game on bridge too far like I did back in the day.

Ninja Eagle 09-15-2012 10:39 PM

I only had 25G on this game FUCK ME!

Goblin93 10-28-2012 06:27 AM

this was one of my favorite games in the early days of the 360 sucks it had to go down and now those online achievements can never be attained again...EA blows...up to this day some 2006 game servers are still up lol

Goregutts 11-21-2012 10:46 PM

This game is amazing. I remember all the way back in like 8th grade for me ~2004 I started playing this game. Fucking awesome game, one of my all time favorites. Played it up until the day they shut it down. Played it on PS2 and then x360 for over 7 years in total.

FRIDAY M0RTIMER 07-08-2014 07:27 AM

it sucks they couldn't have left one last server, but honestly, it's pointless 'cause nobody would be playing on it anyway...

and can everybody stop whining about EA now? Honestly, it's getting old. I bet none of you work or have worked in the industry, so you don't know what you're talking about or what goes into keeping a game like this alive.

gamerscorhunta 07-14-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRIDAY M0RTIMER (Post 6353692)
it sucks they couldn't have left one last server, but honestly, it's pointless 'cause nobody would be playing on it anyway...

and can everybody stop whining about EA now? Honestly, it's getting old. I bet none of you work or have worked in the industry, so you don't know what you're talking about or what goes into keeping a game like this alive.

I forgot this existed!

You don't have to work in the industry to know how it works. Dozens of companies have kept their games alive after all of these years. Considering this game released in 2006 on Xbox 360, and shut down in 2011, that was a five year span. Call of Duty 4 servers are still up and it released in 2007; it's been seven years nearly. So really, it WAS EA's lack of care for its older titles and push for attention on newer titles that led to this game's demise.

And I will always stand by this statement: If you don't plan on keeping your servers running one way or another, then don't bother with online achievements.