XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1193)
-   -   Preferred method of travel? (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342178)

BluWolve 11-12-2011 10:11 PM

Preferred method of travel?

Just wondering what everyones preferred method of getting around Skyrim is, and why? I myself tend to walk or ride everywhere, I am not going to fast-travel at all in my first play through. IMO it adds to the realism and depth of the game. How about you?

Multiple choices are allowed, Depends on how you feel is pretty much an "all of the above"

Killerchronic 11-12-2011 10:29 PM

Pfft missed it was multple choice.

Anyway, i will mostly fast travel or horse & carriage if i dont know the place. But if i feel like some fun for a couple of hours and it usually does take me a few hours because i get sidetracked, then sidetracked, then sidetracked, i will do it, also walking places you find so many landmarks etc

But if im wanting to play out a questline or whatever then fast travel etc will be my choice.

(Just an example last night it took me 2 and half hours to get to the dark brotherhood after doing the initiation, i did like 3 dungeons and gained around 8 quests on the way though aswell as picking up god knows how many herbs and finding many different locations. Was alot of fun.)

a blind beggar 11-12-2011 10:42 PM

I walk usually... for now anyway. The game is just too beautiful to skip through it all.

LickableLemons7 11-12-2011 10:58 PM

Hahaha, I forgot you can get horses in Skyrim! I may purchase one soon, now that I've seen this, but for now I typically walk and fast travel. I like to take in the scenery, but when I wish to get across the map in a hurry, I obviously fast travel.

PS: Are the horses any good/ cool looking?

DecadentBeaver 11-12-2011 11:11 PM

I am walking everywhere. 19hrs in and I have only been to Whiterun and Riften cities. Made it to High Hrothgaar as well. Been to a few small locations along the way, kill a few dragons too. But I am enjoying every moment I can. Levelling up naturally, and generally just enjoying everything Skyrim has to offer. So much to see and do.

TombRaiser 11-12-2011 11:13 PM

So far I've been walking everywhere I go. I did use a carriage once to get to Winterhold. I was trying to get there on foot and was never able to find a way up, so I fast traveled back to a city and hopped a carriage.

I'm actually enjoying walking though. It is time consuming, but along the way you find unexplored caves and forts. So, it's worth my time to walk. I haven't got a horse yet; not bought or stolen one. I might get one later, after I buy my house.

But, I'm going to go with "all of the above" with a strong preference towards walking.

BluWolve 11-12-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 (Post 4678201)
PS: Are the horses any good/ cool looking?

The Horse I bought, which is the one at Whiterun, looks like a cross between a Mountain pony and a Clydesdale. They can gallop :lbbut:, Jump (or rear when not moving) :ybut: , and can take a hell of a beating! Only had it a little while though but IMO they are much better looking and better to handle than in oblivion. Oh and I am pretty sure you can only ride them in 3rd person view.

LickableLemons7 11-12-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluWolve (Post 4678314)
The Horse I bought, which is the one at Whiterun, looks like a cross between a Mountain pony and a Clydesdale. They can gallop :lbbut:, Jump (or rear when not moving) :ybut: , and can take a hell of a beating! Only had it a little while though but IMO they are much better looking and better to handle than in oblivion. Oh and I am pretty sure you can only ride them in 3rd person view.

Ah, rats. I looked up some YouTube vids and the horses seem rather clunky. But that's probably just because I've grown attached to the horses in Red Dead Redemption. I'll take a look at some horses once I get back home.

BluWolve 11-12-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 (Post 4678340)
Ah, rats. I looked up some YouTube vids and the horses seem rather clunky. But that's probably just because I've grown attached to the horses in Red Dead Redemption. I'll take a look at some horses once I get back home.

Yeah they are more of a sturdy mountain war horse than the red dead western horses. I know a lot about horses so I was impressed that they went to the trouble to make it realistic to what breed would be there in that type of region.

AKirk93 11-13-2011 12:23 AM

I have been walking everywhere I can. Skyrim is beautiful and I'd hate to miss anything. Random dragon fights in the middle of the countryside or halfway up a mountain more than make up for the long walks between quests or dungeons.

Killerchronic 11-13-2011 12:37 AM

Its been noted a few times that while the horses are slower in skyrim and also not as maneuverable, they can take one heck of a beating. And to be honest thinking in the style of a wild west game like red dead and comparing it to this is just retarded lol :P

Talking of random dragon fights. I use the Abandoned shack/hut i forget offhand quite alot at the moment as a travel point, it never happened when i was using it to store things but since i got my own place it happens every, single time. I literally ALWAYS get a dragon there. I've now had about 10 kills from that place alone. Annoying aswell cause its a swamp and swimming to where it lands takes longer than one would hope :/

FeatherbottomMR 11-13-2011 12:43 AM

Pretty much just walking everywhere to take in the sites.....

Slaughter. 02-26-2013 03:44 PM

I like fast travel if it's really far away, but it mostly depends on how I feel.

ecto69 02-26-2013 06:07 PM

Fast Travel.

When I started in 11/11/11 I walked and mainly at night.

Now I just want to get there and be done.

MewMew 03-09-2013 06:37 PM

I walk or fast travel. I've been trying to fast travel less so I can run into some of the random little things you won't notice by fast traveling, but sometimes I just don't feel like hoofing it from Riften all the way to Markarth.

Mark Hughes XD 03-10-2013 06:40 PM

It's got to be walk, there is some much to do in Skyrim i feel that if you fast travel you end up missing a lot of it.

As for riding; yes it is quicker and you don't miss anything but you can't get a horse for your companion which is half the fun; exploring some where with someone else.

:drunk

thewyseone 03-11-2013 02:51 PM

fast travel or walk.walking is great in areas that theres still places to search for new locations.i only used carriage in beggining to find towns and i only used a horse/shadowmere once.

Hunterstyx 03-22-2013 05:56 AM

I have yet to fast travel walking everywhere to get the most out of the game.

Iceskater101 03-30-2013 07:11 PM

Fast Travel!! It's just so much quicker, but I do love riding my horse especially riding my horse up a tall mountain b/c in skyrim you can do that.

DanTezza 03-31-2013 08:25 PM

This sounds terrible because I am a massive fan of Skyrim and it is undoubtedly my favourite game of all time but my theory is that even with fast travel, you can play this game for hundreds of hours and there are so many other games to play too! Thats my justification anyway...

WOLVES R SWEET 07-10-2013 06:11 PM

i just walk everywhere thats how i travel

Dellfis 09-08-2013 08:10 PM

always fast travel :)

PsychoKnight666 09-10-2013 01:20 PM

I walk and walk and walk ;) .... End up getting lost and side tracked alot lol

ShawnSig 09-13-2013 04:39 AM

Fast Traveling if it's like a misc quest where I gotta drop off an item, or if I do guild job quests.
I usually sprint & whirlwind shout when I'm trying to get somewhere or trying to discover a new location.

mule jackson 09-13-2013 07:38 AM

Walk as often as I can. I love the random events in areas and discovering a hidden cave or a nice view. Also, I collect a lot of my potion ingredients while walking and finding a new plant or something from an animal I hunted.
Skyrim is too beautiful to always fast travel.

angelusanya78 09-13-2013 08:45 AM

It all depends on what I am doing. If I am pressed for time or its too far too walk then I fast travel, if I have an evening to kill I will walk everywhere lol

Eleriel 09-13-2013 09:00 AM

if it's a place I've been to before I fast-travel.

if not, I walk... and get derailed into every single dungeon or castle I come across on the way.

Nicholas x 09-15-2013 08:34 PM

walk of course.

l8ygrey 09-17-2013 07:09 PM

I try to be a purist and walk or at least ride everywhere. But my attention span is HOPELESSLY limited. The entire country is being burned down by dragons while the mighty dragonborn is chasing butterflies....Com'ere Luna Moth, I'm gonna get you!

Keranah 09-17-2013 07:12 PM

Wow the horse and carriage is really unloved...