XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Game of Thrones (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2479)
-   -   Worth a buy? (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372787)

BIGbivvie 06-01-2012 12:02 PM

Worth a buy?

.. Or a rent? Or neither?

I'm a massive game of thrones fan, so I'll probably get this anyway. But.. is it any good?

Nozza XBA 06-01-2012 12:05 PM

From what I've heard and read... The game is utter crap and has had bad ratings left, right and centre.

Not saying you'll enjoy it, it's just what I've come across. I'd look up some reviews. Not sure if x360a has done one, but check out others like IGN etc

BIGbivvie 06-01-2012 12:17 PM

Yeah Nozz seen the reviews and they are shit. Just want to see peoples opinions on here before I get it. Cheers for your input, as always :)

Hayden 06-01-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozza x360a (Post 5099838)
The game is utter crap and has had bad ratings left, right and centre.

When did 7/10 become a bad review score?, which is what both Gamespot and OXM gave it.

Ign gave it 4/10 but the review was not great they did the same with Ninja Gaiden 3 which was still enjoyable.

Nozza XBA 06-01-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 5099898)
When did 7/10 become a bad review score?, which is what both Gamespot and OXM gave it.

Ign gave it 4/10 but the review was not great they did the same with Ninja Gaiden 3 which was still enjoyable.

Like I said. Its what I've read and seen in a couple of places, even here on the forums.

Again, I've never watched the series or played the game, so I'm going off peoples reactions. If others are giving it 7/10 etc, then it looks like it's getting mixed feelings and reviews.

Take the risk or don't, that's the only choice you have when it comes to that.

olthof75 06-01-2012 05:42 PM

I agree with the other posts

I personally really enjoy the game. I have only finished level one however. It takes a little bit of time to get used to the battle system (i'm not sure why they chose such an arcane way). But as the game progresses I have found it to not be all that bad. Once you unlock more actions, it seems a little better.

I have never read the books, but I do watch the series. The story seems like it will be very enjoyable. I don't think the graphics are terrible, but they are dated. I have not experienced any bugs (through Chapter 1), and I suggest you save a lot (you can anytime not in battle).

Overall, I think I will really enjoy this game. When/If you accept that this game is different from real-time fighting (like Witcher 2) and accept it flaws, it seems like it will be very fun. Hope this helps.

xKRAIZEEMANx 06-01-2012 05:50 PM

I am a huge fan of the books, and love the show. So, that is why I chose to partake in this game.
I would say it is worth a rent (that is the course I chose).
Not a lot of re-playability (none, in my case).
My complaints (I started a bitching thread LINK), is the over the shoulder view, which was maddening (To me), and the mouth animations were atrocious.

But, as I stated in the beginning of this post, it was worth it to me as a huge fan, and there is a special appearance by George R. R. Martin in the game (Another post..*Slight Spoilers* LINK)

King of Battle 06-01-2012 11:50 PM

I have enjoyed it so far, but you do need some patience for this game. The first chapter is very cinimatic heavy and but so far the story itself is interesting which is the point. Rent it first to see if you can handle it.

Brengun 06-12-2012 09:22 AM

I reckon I'm about half way through and my thoughts are these if anyone is interested -

The Story is very good, although be prepared for a fair bit of dialogue, especially early on. However the strength of the story is enough to keep me interested, if you're familiar with the first book you will enjoy the themes here.

The combat is ok, there's not much depth, but at least its different - there are some tough fights where you need to mix it up but its quite similar to Dragon Age - if your character is strong enough you can hack n' slash your way through most of it.

The graphics are the worst part of the game. Oh and some of the voice acting but I don't mind that part so much. What is annoying is they have such a rich universe to exploit and it couldn't look more drab, some parts of the North are as bad as I've seen on this generation of console.

Overall if you like the books or series you'll get into this, get over the looks and there is a good story there, and some decent gameplay - I'd give it maybe 5 or 6 out of 10.

Baihu1983 06-21-2012 07:44 AM

Really enjoyed it. Bit of a slow starter and some of the VA i terrible but once you get the hang of the combat its a blast with a solid story

Bombstriker 06-21-2012 06:15 PM

The game isn't crap like some people say it is... If you are a huge fan of the show I would say sure it is worth it. If not, I would settle on just renting it if you plan on just getting the achievements.

the_b1ues 06-21-2012 06:31 PM

I cant rememeber of any game based on a film/series ever being good since Goldeneye.

S4NDM4NX69 06-22-2012 02:41 AM

this game isnt as bad as some say. it was worth the 40 i paid

JayR 06-23-2012 12:10 PM

I got it on Thursday, just started it today. Seems good so far, played through the first chapter at Castle Black, part way the next. Took me about 2 hours. With maybe 30 minutes of game play. Story is good enough to keep me playing though.

irontimes 06-24-2012 02:06 AM

It's like a jankier Dragon Age I, but it has it's own neat quirks. If you like the show or the books it's pretty solid.

DJConnelly 06-24-2012 02:25 AM

Even if it is shit, I know I'll end up getting it purely because I love the series. From what I've read the combat is it's strongest aspect and the less said about the graphics the better. Think I'll buy it if I can get it for around 25 - 30 at some point.

Exactorit 06-26-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_b1ues (Post 5135252)
I cant rememeber of any game based on a film/series ever being good since Goldeneye.

Batman AA and AC.

___

I picked this up and played a bit of it. Not too bad, not amazing yet either though. The atmosphere is good though for those, like me, who loved the books. Feels a bit like the Discworld games in that it would be a crap game if you didn't love the world and the style it was set in.

three15 07-03-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJConnelly (Post 5139611)
Even if it is shit, I know I'll end up getting it purely because I love the series. From what I've read the combat is it's strongest aspect and the less said about the graphics the better. Think I'll buy it if I can get it for around 25 - 30 at some point.

Really DON'T, honestly it's the worst game i've ever played and i'm amazed that a great series of books and TV shows could be butchered in such a way and this 'game' still be allowed into the public domain. It really is that bad.

Wullsterino 07-16-2012 04:17 PM

The game is utter toss. I plan on taking up self harm in lieu of another minute of this drek.

Eggnogga 07-25-2012 06:27 PM

I ordered it yesterday as Best Buy had a 24 hour sale on the game for $19.99. (Free shipping as well) Figured for that price, I'd pick it up and give it a go.

three15 07-27-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggnogga (Post 5196891)
I ordered it yesterday as Best Buy had a 24 hour sale on the game for $19.99. (Free shipping as well) Figured for that price, I'd pick it up and give it a go.

You should have set fire to a $20 and watched it burn, you'd have had much more fun.

adam16161 08-07-2012 11:39 AM

ive only seen bad ratings for it but i think ill still give it ago

as bad grathics dont allways make a make a game bad if it has a good story behind it

Bad Mojo 1974 08-07-2012 05:44 PM

I like it

I did the Best Buy DotD myself and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Like someone else stated graphics don't always make a game bad.:)

Elekid 09-05-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_b1ues (Post 5135252)

They're all going to suck if you keep comparing them to Goldeneye. That's a bad habit to have.

I'm about to pop the game in for the first time. I'm a huge fan of both the show and the books (currently in book 4). I think it's going to be cool regardless of graphics, dialog, and combat, just to run around the seven kingdoms.

Homaz 09-17-2012 01:28 PM

Seems not bad at all. I love the Show, maybe I'm going to rent it. How long did 1 playthrough take?

BIGbivvie 09-18-2012 11:37 AM

great, thanks guys.

FranksEZ 10-20-2012 08:21 PM

Great game

I just finished it took about 25-30 hrs. Amazing story with player's choices deciding 4 different endings! Easy 1000 gamerpoints. Solid gameplay. I picked up this and Silent Hill Downpour for $20 on newegg.com - it was definitely worth $20 and I woulda been fine paying $60. I almost passed on it after reading all the negative reviews--glad I didn't!! Prost!

foxdvd 10-28-2012 05:40 AM

Level design was poor....but the combat, especially later in the game, was actually a lot of fun. The story was fantastic. Loved how it mixed right in with the first book, and the final was exciting. If you can get over lower production values, it really is worth picking up.