XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   Half Life 2: The Orange Box (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=338)
-   -   Easily complete Aperture Science achievement (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70412)

N4b0t 05-05-2008 06:54 PM

Easily complete Aperture Science achievement

If you don't mind cheating a little, I have found a new method to complete the 18 gold medals in the Portal challenges without it taking days.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/212505.html

While it is cheating, it simply uses a flaw in the game mechanics, so I find it quite acceptable. Plus, I had already done 14 gold challenges legitimately before the game went and glitched up my achievement back to 0 medals. There was no way I'd do it again...

Hope this helps!

Daywalker-san 05-05-2008 11:09 PM

quoth the server 404, link is dead

EDIT: found it

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/212505.html

NAFeS 05-06-2008 01:28 AM

Hmmm, good way to help with the least portal rooms.
Useless for the others.

N4b0t 05-06-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAFeS (Post 845023)
Hmmm, good way to help with the least portal rooms.
Useless for the others.

You think so? My achievement was glitched so I was back to 0 and I managed to complete it in less than a day using those cheats. You can greatly reduce steps by using the portal anywhere cheat and you can actually skip great lenghts of levels in the time challenges by spawning an energy ball or swimming in the toxic liquid with invincibility.

Axe Argonian 05-07-2008 11:54 PM

I guess you didn't have the balls to do it honorably.

Why would you NOT try doing it the normal way? I eventually succeeded.

Lol, what's next? A quick way to get Brass Balls in BioShock? A button combination to get every Ally achievement in Mass Effect unlocked?

And what do you mean by disabling the colored buttons?

sekoku 05-08-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N4b0t (Post 845955)
You think so? My achievement was glitched so I was back to 0 and I managed to complete it in less than a day using those cheats. You can greatly reduce steps by using the portal anywhere cheat and you can actually skip great lenghts of levels in the time challenges by spawning an energy ball or swimming in the toxic liquid with invincibility.

It doesn't even count toward the achievement anyway (at least for me). Therefore it's practically useless except to mess around with things in.

Axe Argonian 05-08-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekoku (Post 849323)
It doesn't even count toward the achievement anyway (at least for me). Therefore it's practically useless except to mess around with things in.

It just goes to show you that cheating doesn't pay.;)

sekoku 05-08-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe Argonian (Post 849333)
It just goes to show you that cheating doesn't pay.;)

AFAIK, Cheats only disable achievements for Portal only. HL2/Ep 1/Ep 2 can use cheats and get the achievements fine.

Axe Argonian 05-10-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekoku (Post 851415)
AFAIK, Cheats only disable achievements for Portal only. HL2/Ep 1/Ep 2 can use cheats and get the achievements fine.

Yeah, but I still didn't use the cheats in Half-Life 2. :)

A S1lly Penguin 05-11-2008 05:19 AM

Geez, this helped a ton for the least portals, but I can still only manage bronze for both least steps and least time. I think I just suck using a 360 controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, lol. Wish someone would just do these dang achievements for me cuz they're driving me batty. :rant:

Azazel_Valkyrie 05-18-2008 06:52 PM

Cool but why would you want Gold Medals WITHOUT the achievements?! I have bronze in all challenges and eventually I will go back and do the rest.

laundryman 05-19-2008 09:10 PM

I got all achievements legit in all games, and I will get gold legit in portal :)

Gentleman 05-21-2008 01:38 PM

People prefer to use cheats because they are lazy/bone-idle i.e. me.

glasstiger50 05-22-2008 05:42 AM

This doesn't get the achievements? or does it?

the_b1ues 05-22-2008 12:56 PM

i dont no im confused

Axe Argonian 05-22-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laundryman (Post 874064)
I got all achievements legit in all games, and I will get gold legit in portal :)

Amen to that. ;)

cg Raptor 05-22-2008 10:53 PM

I got all the gold challenges without cheats. You know why?
Because i'm awesome.

Azazel_Valkyrie 05-23-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cg Raptor (Post 880172)
I got all the gold challenges without cheats. You know why?
Because i'm awesome.

You must be. I got all bronze and gave up on silver, forget gold for me. I will go back one day and get them. ONE DAY.

Isn't funny how a game you complete seems somewhat impossible to other people? I look at your gold in Portal and I'm impressed. Some people comment on how the hell I completed Assassin's Creed or Crackdown. It wasn't easy but not as hard as some people think.

the_b1ues 05-23-2008 06:08 PM

So you cant actully get acheivement when you use these?? Because im stuck on the gold time for Champer 16 the the first on with the turrets.

BigFellaJake 05-25-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe Argonian (Post 849272)
I guess you didn't have the balls to do it honorably.

Why would you NOT try doing it the normal way? I eventually succeeded.

Lol, what's next? A quick way to get Brass Balls in BioShock? A button combination to get every Ally achievement in Mass Effect unlocked?

And what do you mean by disabling the colored buttons?

the ally achievement would be even greater if i could cheat like that. whats so hard about the brass balls achievement anyway?

getting silver on some of the levels seem impossible enough anyways

geccles 05-27-2008 09:46 PM

it only takes 1 day to fully beat portal legit (around 10 hours?). i rented it saturday morning and got all achievements by saturday night. now, i will not claim that I figured out how to do each room by myself; I am good at puzzle games and am pretty smart in general, but some of that shit got real intricate and i am really impressed by the people that figured all of that out. i watched videos for some on youtube. the videos helped give me some ideas and i eventually just figured out each room in my own modified way. cheating is for pussies.

Reno117 05-28-2008 06:17 AM

the cheats don't disable cheats i don't think well at liest in advanced maps and i think if it's the the game enging it's fair game to use it and it's not like it is a exploit as when you enter it the steam enging tells you that cheat mode is turnt on liek in all the pc games when you enter SV_cheats 1

The Purple Whiz 05-30-2008 04:33 PM

Confused Person

Eh. So does this disable the achievements anyway? So then there is actually no point of using these cheats because no one can see you've done it? Please tell me if this disables the achievements!

Diaxen 05-30-2008 08:55 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uSM8AZxkBVc

Blue Radium 06-01-2008 07:06 AM

I guess if it works... I got this one fully legit, but then again the game didn't go and erase my hours upon hours of work when I got close to finishing.

BigFellaJake 06-01-2008 02:16 PM

a guide that makes sense to me. shame im only going to use it on the least steps challenges. i think its stupid that if you move the left analogue stick the slightest bit, it counts as you taking steps

StalkingGrunt911 06-01-2008 06:33 PM

I wish I knew about this BEFORE I tried this achievement, although it does feel good getting gold legit, a few challenges just sucked ass and took me forever. What is really sad is the very first chamber with least time took me the longest. You had to beat it in under 19 seconds and no matter how many times I did it I still ended up with 20 seconds. Finally said screw it and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and got it my 2nd try.

arachnophilia 06-06-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A S1lly Penguin (Post 855896)
I think I just suck using a 360 controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, lol.

you suck with a 360 controller, but in halo 2 you're a general grade 2? with an almost complete social medal chest, a truly ridiculous number of invincibles and perfections? and five killionaires?

you can't suck that badly, dude.

Alex56 06-09-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arachnophilia (Post 910658)
you suck with a 360 controller, but in halo 2 you're a general grade 2? with an almost complete social medal chest, a truly ridiculous number of invincibles and perfections? and five killionaires?

you can't suck that badly, dude.

Halo and portal and completely different games, I don't see how medals in a social chest (which can be gotten with firends) has to do with being better with a xbox controller than a mouse and keyboard.

But anyway, thanks to this I finally got the three science achievements :).

arachnophilia 06-10-2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex56 (Post 919060)
Halo and portal and completely different games, I don't see how medals in a social chest (which can be gotten with firends) has to do with being better with a xbox controller than a mouse and keyboard.

i dunno. they're not THAT different. same basic principles at play, similar controls. i'm just saying, he can't be that bad with a controller if he's a general in halo -- the game's just hard.