XboxAchievements.com

XboxAchievements.com (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/index.php)
-   F.E.A.R. Files (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=842)
-   -   Someone ever got Glutton for Punishment? (http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77169)

Himuton 06-18-2008 06:09 AM

Someone ever got Glutton for Punishment?

Glutton for Punishment (55G) is an achievement awarded when we complete all instant action map on Extreme difficulty.

So far have I completed Elevator (Read Post #15 for my "guide" in http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...ad.php?t=44926) and Sprint on Extreme only. The others lack reliable cover and narrow doorways for us to pin down the enemies. I remember the Garage requires us to fight a standard Power Armor immediately after defeating a Leviathan and shoot down the Replica Chopper to win, which is inconceivable on Extreme.

Like always, I don't try to be the best in the world. Just want to know if you have heard someone or you have got this achievement. I have mixed reaction for this. I love FEAR and facing these Replicas never gets old. But the stress can build up.

Should I really try it again? Who knows? Only this achievement (stupid one) stand in my way to 1000. Why don't they break it down to "complete map X on Extreme" so the process will be more rewarding? One exceptionally difficult map can hold us back now.

Tips for each map is also welcomed gratefully.

-----Subway Down! (2 years later)-----
I can't believe I am coming back to FEAR Files! "Subway", the most annoying level in my opinion is down today, finally! YouTube videos definitely helped a great deal, p3rvypri3st's videos.

I wasn't counting enemy numbers and memorizing their appearance order two years ago. But now I do and I can tell you these can make quite some difference. Last but not least, remember where to position yourselves from p3rvypri3st's example. You're still dead if you meet your foe at the wrong place.

-----Garage Down!-----
You guys know about the ammo "cheat"? Every time you pick a fresh weapon that is not in your inventory you get a default set of ammo (75 rounds for the HV Penetrator for instance). Swap for a Penetrator, drop it and go over to another Penetrator, reinse and repeat. Swap for the last Penetrator and go pick up the previous two. WOW! You get full ammo! It will come in handy - the Heavy Armor "The L" semms more vulnerable to the Penetrator than the Minigun! The Penetrator is also good against the Chopper at the end.

There IS a ammo refiller behind a truck where the "The L" is coming. The three weapons of my choice to bring up to the roof are: ASP Sniper Rifle, HV Penetrator and the Repeator Cannon (found at the stairs after defeating Minigunner Armor). The Minigun just isn't accurate enough for the open roof battlefield so I opt to leave it alone.

Up there, camp at the entrance you came in because Replicas coming at you will be funnelled to your left side. Somehow, enemies from the right decide that the fence is "too high" to climb over and will just stay there. There is no overhead cover but the heli isn't one hit kill (more like two hit kills if you have 80 HP) fortunately. Repeator Cannon on the soldiers, HV Penetrator on the bird.

-----Arena Down-----
This level pissed me off in a different manner. Although Arena drops plenty of boosters and armor vest, it is not a cake walk. Greeted by enemy swarms in an open battlefield, you are on your toes.

Watch the only Extreme video on YouTube. I can tell you that guy got lucky. He took out the first Rocket Power Armor before the Chaingunner arrived. You must kill that Rocket guy first. Otherwise he will flush you out into the range of the Chaingunner.

It is essential that you took out the particle gun guy and took the gun. It can be used to snipe on the Chaingunner at long range where his chaingun isn't accurate enough. Moreover, in one of the booster drop, there is a Repeator Cannon. It can stun the Chaingunner while dealing damage.

Don't get in a close-quarter fight with the heavy armors. One or two melee hits mean death.

James03 06-18-2008 10:31 PM

Well, to be honest if you can complete Elevator on Extreme then you shouldn't have many problems with the other Instant Action maps since that one is the hardest (imo... or maybe Sanitarium.) Also, Clinic is the easiest map out of all of them so maybe you should try that one first to prepare for the other maps. It took me about a day to do all of the maps (Arena being the last one which I was dreading, but happened to be very easy because of the vast amount of supplies and weapons at your disposal.)

Watch the videos on YouTube for the first 3 Instant Action maps (they are in the incomplete Instant Action guide on the 2nd page of this forum or simply search for F.E.A.R. Files Instant Action maps on YouTube,) and play the other maps on Low first to get the enemy patterns and locations; you will need to do this to sucessfully complete the Instant Action maps.

All I need is the Fear the Reaper achievement... which should be easy but is a pain to get because no-one plays this game. ;.;

Himuton 06-24-2008 09:45 AM

I was able to complete Elevator because I can just hide in the elevator and peek and shoot. Enemies are from one direction only. In Sprint, the zone behind is guaranteed to be cleared. The others like Subway has soldiers dash into my sight in every possibly imagined direction. Yes, you are right I need to learn their pattern.

As I found you, the gorgeous slayer, I would like you to answer some questions.

1) Does the timer really matter? Once I ran out of time but the game didn't end. On extreme, I think it is important to make every shot count and move with great care. That timer happens to make me less and less patient.

2) How did you beat some tough enemies like the Chaingunner, Leviathans and the Chopper?

Himuton 07-03-2008 07:06 AM

<The following may not be agreed by Underground professionals. But Recreation or Pro guys may like to take my advice and know it is a wise choice to give up when the situation gets rough.>

'Preposterous' is the adjective that I would give on Glutton for Punishment at the end. Try as I might, I never beat it on Subway so it is screwed.

You people who wants this 55G should try Subway on easy first and see if you can complete it at the higher difficulties. Subway is the hardest map in my opinion due to the high enemy density so it should not be attempted by a newbie. Only people who beat the campaigns and are familiar with the controls should try. As someone said above, Clinic is the easiest but you will still be wasting your time being unable to tackle the hardest map.

The triumph achieved on Clinic last night vanished when I tried Subway. My best record is that the gate opened and I walked inside to die with only 17 health and no health packs. Most of the time I didn't make it in the very first area. On Youtube, a guy could shoot dead three Replicas in one Slow-Mo but I could only kill two. The guy then walked in and killed an unalarmed soldier. At my end, whether the three soldiers at the beginning were killed, two more came from the left and right when I have yet moved to the pillars for cover. The guy appeared to figure out where the Replicas were coming but I could not put the situation under my control unlike him. He could always defeat his foes quickly while I got blown up by precise grenades time to time.

What made Subway the hardest map were its open area (The pillars are the best covers apart from one of the stairs but enemies throw grenades and can come from left or right since we have no choice but to enter hostile zones. In other maps, we pin down our foes before walking in.), high enemy density (in such an open area, three Replicas with a clear shot at you are fatal. Also, you stepped into the battle zone so you would be often thinking someone is stalking you.) and the yellow smoke of battle. In the subway station, grenades and gunfire create a thick yellow smoke. Nevertheless, the enemies have no trouble seeing through it. Their precision does not dive. In other words, the yellow smoke acts as their smoke grenade and they may have infrared vision in their helmets.

I am doomed. My 1000 is over. But when I think about it. The developers were to blame! The map may not be so devastating until they ask us to complete it on Extreme for an achievement. 'Glutton for Punishment' is like 'Elite' in Rainbow Six Vegas 2, 'Heavyweight' in GRAW and that "Kill 10000 People" in Gears of War. These achievements have the ability to harm the experience. We struggle for them and it is all because of a thought the developer has in their mind in a second. They take no consideration of its consequences.

boofarama 08-11-2008 05:38 PM

i just think it is ridiculously hard to beat it on the hardest difficulty and to me its harder than original fear

bob1234 08-23-2008 09:17 PM

i just got the achievement today for completing all instant action maps on extreme it took me about 2 days because i had to take breaks at times cuz it is a little fustrating the only thing i can suggest is have patience and just learn the areas where the guys come out from on each map the most difficult ones i thought were subway, arena, garage cuz of that frickin helicopter but just have patience it will come eventually

A 2rue Beast 08-24-2008 05:07 AM

I did not find them to be difficult got them all in two attempts or less.

Butters 10-13-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A 2rue Beast (Post 1097461)
I did not find them to be difficult got them all in two attempts or less.

that helps them...

anyways, like others have said just practice practice practice and memorize everything.

Himuton 10-31-2008 03:31 AM

Thanks for the tips but I'm outta it.

A 2rue boofer 01-12-2009 03:28 AM

ii have subway clinic sprint and catacombs done on extreme cant do anymore this fricken sucks

AcidGlowx81 01-14-2009 01:16 AM

I 1ked FEAR and Files in late December. Well worth it. Those IA Extreme are tough.

duelingk 02-17-2009 02:27 PM

Maybe i just suck at the game but i never was able to beat a single instant action on extreme. Even in the first game. Some random enemy, or one stupid mistake and i had to start all over. I do admit that they are fun and wish project origin had some.

Absolutionz 03-12-2009 04:30 AM

I just finished up Glutton, and the only maps I had to do more than 3 times before I beat it were: Subway and Elevator. I beat Arena/Catacombs on my first try, as well. I've come to realize that the key to the IA maps on either game is just being patient, and knowing when to attack. Play the maps a bunch to get use to them if you have to, map out the enemies first and know their patterns before doing them on Extreme. That is if you are having trouble. Some people are just naturals and have no trouble at all.

JHILL0803RACR 04-18-2009 07:52 PM

i have actually done glutton for punishment myself, if neone wants help let me kno

paxxxeku 05-06-2009 04:53 AM

Ok but does someone really knows if we can take the time we need in order to finish the maps?

A 2rue boofer 05-25-2009 06:50 PM

I have 1000 in FEAR AND FEAR FILES and m opinons for the instant action is take it slow and beat it on easy a few times since enemies always spawn in the same spots.

AcidGlowx81 06-06-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxxxeku (Post 1908944)
Ok but does someone really knows if we can take the time we need in order to finish the maps?

time is there just for leaderboard score. you can do it with 0 time left. you can do them in any order. i did.

use slo mo alot

Jonvier666 07-14-2009 08:48 PM

I am so bad at the game.. I find it hard on moderate.
How do you do so well?
I played it for about 2 days but now it just sits in my piles of games.

Vandit96 08-10-2009 08:45 AM

i just need the subway map lol.....on extreme and i got this....but they gang me hard.....

Morbious17 10-05-2009 03:53 AM

Is this achievement like the one on F.E.A.R. where it needs to be done all in one sitting or no?

Helg0r 10-05-2009 09:35 AM

Does not need to be done in one sitting, neither in F.E.A.R. nor in Files :P
However Files is less glitchy and everything unlocks when it's supposed to be...

Vandit96 10-16-2009 03:06 PM

yay i just got the achievement yesterday :D
I am so happy ^^

PureTechniquex 12-30-2009 11:34 PM

Got the 1000 about a month ago,
for me the hardest were Arena & Elevator.

daninthemix 02-17-2010 04:02 PM

If you've done Elevator and you're still giving up then that is LAME as Elevator is definitely the hardest. That last room all you can do is pray to God that they don't hit you with an insta-kill laser guided grenade, and hey, if God doesn't feel like helping then you're fucked.

AcidGlowx81 02-18-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daninthemix (Post 2795985)
pray to God that they don't hit you with an insta-kill laser guided grenade

what weapon is that again? lol.

Himuton 10-06-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daninthemix (Post 2795985)
If you've done Elevator and you're still giving up then that is LAME as Elevator is definitely the hardest. That last room all you can do is pray to God that they don't hit you with an insta-kill laser guided grenade, and hey, if God doesn't feel like helping then you're fucked.

Yeah I am now retrying. It has been 2 years since I beat Elevator but I remembered using explosives a lot in the last room. There should be a rocket launcher somewhere and you could save that for the big n' nasty Armor.

CRDMUDRUNNER 12-24-2010 02:03 AM

Just started these recently. Have Subway and Garage down. Hope for more tomorrow,

FINISHED. Just keep at it :locked

DOBOYX2 01-20-2011 03:44 PM

Yeah, I dont recall all the levels, but I do remember subway gave me some trouble as the cover kinda sucks on there.Tthe last floor of Elevator was a pain, but there are videos on Youtube that show really good methods on how to beat it, because the guys always come out the elevators in the same order. Also if anyone might be having trouble with the floors with the invisible guys whether it be the ones that do all the acrobatic stuff or the other ones. You can jump on things to make them run off giving you breathing room and time to refill your slow-mlo. They will only come running once you step off whatever you are standing on. Not everything will work for this trick it needs to be high enough off the ground, just experiment with it. I know things like the medicine carts and pop machines worked well for me.

Jakben 02-26-2011 04:45 PM

I got it and it took me only 3 days to beat all the instant action maps on extreme, of course i did all the levels starting from Sprint to Garage

Thicketford 08-31-2011 03:32 PM

In terms of difficulty I'd say they were in this order...

Sanitarium > Arena > Elevator > Garage > Subway > Catacombs > Clinic > Sprint

Very tough but very rewarding.