View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #83
PerpetualHeaven

Send a message via MSN to PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Achievement Guide - Gold   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansWar View Post
As a side note - people attach 'things' to ages/different types of people because stereotyping works. It might not work 100% of the time, but it works enough for it to become accepted as a stereotype.

Goths are usually under 20, prostitutes tend to enjoy drugs, footballers have below average IQs and in today's era, hippies tend to be young (and live with their parents) as you can't survive in a capitalist society by paying for everything with 'love', like you used to be able to do in the 70s.
I would like to think you're joking but I can tell you're not. Quite the shame, though, as stereotypes are absolute garbage and don't actually work. They're just preconceived notions imagined on illogical observations. Perpetuating ideals like that, such as blue is boys and pink is for girls, is just silly. It just creates a foundation for inequality, prejudice, and discrimination. Of course, a capitalist society can't function without any of those. Ah well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wortsenawl View Post
Fair point. I should have also said, that I am normally wrong about this. Often I find that it is the other way round. I guess it comes down to pride and laziness, rather than age.

I try not to make these pre-judgements any longer. It dawned on me that this is the case when, while meeting an older gamer on live, his favourite two words seemed to by "gay" and "fail". Every other sentence was "... that fails," or "Fail!" or "That is so gay!"

It was like talking to a school kid.
Touche. I dislike how gamers have become associated with the words "epic" and "fail." Those two words are the bane of my existence.
Achievement Completion %: 97.04
Gamerscore: 68,482

"Don't hate, perpetuate!"