Help with Big Daddy / How to Kill a Big Daddy

thecrazyguy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to kill a big daddy, be it a Bouncer or Rosie is to hit them with damage from different sources all at once. Don't just shoot them, but also use traps and environmental hazards. The basic rule for them is "Fire & Lightning". Here's a little checklist I thought up of that you can try and get as many things to help kill them with:

• Trap bolts are key to any good trap as they not only damage big daddies but stun them. Little sisters will lead a Daddy into a bolt. Rosies may avoid once angered.
  • Big Daddies can be stunned by all things electrical, so if trap bolts aren't available, use electrical buck shot or electrical plasmid to buy time.
  • If a big daddy is in water, shock it. It has the same effect as shocking anything in water.
  • Earlier the use of Atlas' advice of a "One - two punch" is handy, stunning via any method, and then switch ammo/guns to an armored piercing round, back to stunning, then to armored piercing, etc.
  • Proximity mines are another key component of any good trap. Two mines can kill a big daddy if the following is used.
  • Placing mines in a puddle of gasoline/kerosine will ignite the puddle, increasing the damage done by the trap due to fire damage.
  • If a flammable tank is available, use telekinesis to throw it at the Big Daddy. This is better than just firing a normal grenade as it will set him on fire.
  • If there are no gas puddles or tanks then simply lighting him on fire with Incinerate, Exploding Buck, or Fire Bolts will also greatly help by setting him on fire and tick his health away.
  • Security won't kill a Big Daddy outright, but it can help. Use cameras, bots, and turrets as best you can.

That's all I've got for now. There are a lot more things one can do to take one down, but that's what I've found to be most effective. I actually discovered recently just how good telekinesis can be when used with gas tanks.

Ive been playing the game on medium and these guys are pretty tough. True David and goliath stuff.

My personal fave is to shock then unload electic buck they die quite quick with this method. After a few attempts I can now actually kill a big daddy without him touching me. Although im sure there gonna get tougher further in the game.

The best way to kill the big daddy is use the chemical throwing gun. If you have a full tank of the electric stuff, then all you have to do is point and shoot. If you just hold down the trigger the big daddy will die, and he won't even be able to move the whole time you are shooting him with it.

Big daddies are vulnerable to armor-piercing rounds, so if you have any, use them. I usually either blast them away with a ton of grenades, use incinerating bolts from the crossbow (these worked pretty well for me), or take them down strategically by using trap bolts (let him get down a long hallway or something, then set up a few trap bolts down the hallway, shoot at him, and let him come flying thru all of them =]...that works better for bouncers since they lunge tho).

On hard, it takes 94 units of electric gel from your chem sprayer (with consumption upgrade) to kill a big daddy. Its pretty sweet because once you hit them with the first button they cant move so you just hold the trigger till they are dead. It takes a ton of crossbow shots to kill them.(on hard)

another easy way:

wait for them to stand around and shoot some proximities on the floor... sort of like a trail of bread crumbs leading to you, then fire off a round at him. He will go over the mines as he rushes you, it takes about 4 proximities with the upgrade. If hes still alive, shock/AP rounds will take him out.

:uzi:many times a few different methods i typically use are:

possess the big daddy to believe that you're a little sister, then run out of the room, go do a few things, then come back to see another one spawned.

wait for him to go collect the little sister out of the cubby hole, then shoot him once, this will initiate the battle of the big daddys, which is also interesting to watch.

but, if u dont have the time / want to do that, another method i like to use are the proximity mines.

lay down a straight path of 3 or four of them about 8 feet apart, the beauty is, is that he never attacks you unless you attempt to hurt the little sister or attack him.

at which case you have the big daddy lined up on the far side of a few proxy mines, pull out your machine gun, and unload. he'll come runnin at you like abat outta hell, blowing up all the mines, and should be pretty much dead by the time he reaches you.

:uzi:many times a few different methods i typically use are:

possess the big daddy to believe that you're a little sister, then run out of the room, go do a few things, then come back to see another one spawned.

wait for him to go collect the little sister out of the cubby hole, then shoot him once, this will initiate the battle of the big daddys, which is also interesting to watch.

It's really easy to do that in Fort Frolic. Just possess the Big Daddy in the main room and go to Poseidon's Hall to see one come down the stairs :D

But there's other enemies there :)

But the easiest way to do it is at the second Bathysphere in Fort Frolic. Possess one Big Daddy and lead him all the way to the stairs in front of the bathysphere. Shoot him once and stand at the bottom of the stairs. Wait till he charges then he should slide into the bathysphere. Hide behind the lever and if he's in far enough, he'll just stand there hitting the ground. Peek out a bit and hit him with the crowbar (as long as you're next to the lever he won't hit you unless you get into range of him) and it goes by faster when you have the 3 crowbar upgrades :p

When I fought my first big daddy I died a few times before I killed him. I went in with almost the full health pack amount. I used some electro bolt plasmid, armor piercing bullets from the pistol, and then finished him off with a machine gun. See ya Mr. Bubbles :(

Easiest way in the medical pavilion. Is to hit them and run to the dental area Vita Chamber, There you can squeeze between the Vita Chamber and they cant touch you (its not a glitch) and unload. I killed 4 first time playing this way.

After that wait for them to go down stairs, and be above them,Hit them ith Grenade launcher, shotgun..wait till they get on you level,and jump down, and repeat.

I also Liked using Target Bullseye. The BD's get damaged and you can move in to Reasearch Photos in action,Hack, and just simply run bye

VORR

I always try to us TK to throw something explosive at him. Barrel, propane tanks, whatever. Does a bit of damage, always helpful.

Best weapon to take down a BD, at least IMO, is the chemical gun w/ electric gel. You just hit the guy with the juice and he can't even move or fight back. Just pour it on him and he'll be dead real quick. You definitely need the consumption rate upgrade for the gun though, or you'll run out of gel before he dies.

To compensate for the high consumption rate, open up your attack with the grenades or proximity mines. Throw a couple of mines in his path and as he comes toward you, BOOM then hit him with the electric-gel. Fight's over before it even starts.

Get another Big Daddy to fight a Big Daddy.

I simply used "Hypnotize Big Daddy" plasmid on a Big Daddy, lead him to another Big Daddy that was protecting a Little Sister, and shot the one protecting the Little Sister to "mark" him as the target.

Then I just sit back and watch the fireworks. :woop:

or....

You can also lay a long row of trap darts (at eye level that way you can still crawl underneath them) and simply lure a Big Daddy to it. Place them along a long, narrow path or hallway. These trap darts are super deadly to a Big Daddy, especially if he is already wounded. :)

• 3 years later...

I'm going for the brass balls acheivement so I have to beat them on hard without dying...

I'm at Neptunes Bounty before the chemical thrower or the grenade launcher and just can't seem to kill this guy. I found a crawlspace I can wedge into and try with the electric buck, but it's still about impossible.

Once I get electric gel, I'll be fine, but for now, I need better tips than to use my shotgun.

I'll look around for a gas canister to telekenis at him, but I have my doubts.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going for the brass balls acheivement so I have to beat them on hard without dying...

I'm at Neptunes Bounty before the chemical thrower or the grenade launcher and just can't seem to kill this guy. I found a crawlspace I can wedge into and try with the electric buck, but it's still about impossible.

Once I get electric gel, I'll be fine, but for now, I need better tips than to use my shotgun.

I'll look around for a gas canister to telekenis at him, but I have my doubts.

I suggest that you watch the BioShock Hard walkthrough on nextgenwalkthroughs.com

• 1 month later...

I killed the first one after trying many, many times but the second one I've found was a shooting one, not a drill one and I can not do it.

I've tried luring him to where I have a rocket turret and shocked him while he's there and he simply shoots the turret, destroying it then kills me.

So... I've got no idea how to beat them either.