View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. I tried the demo, thought the play was fun and the story was intriguing in that bite sized morsel. Found the game on a price drop for $20 and snapped it up.

The play control is great and combat only gets more fun as you upgrade. The visuals are just wild. The detail the devs put into the atmosphere and characters, especially Trip's eyes, is pretty incredible. Watching her reactions to Monkey and fawning over him as they grew closer was pretty compelling.

The story only got more interesting as it went along, Trip, Pigsy, and Monkey are actually quite believable characters. And truly did want to see Trip and Monkey connect. Loved the banter between Pigsy and Monkey. The writing was great!

Pigsy: "this machine is greater than my wettest dreams!"
Trip: "what?"
Pigsy: "this machine is greater than my uh...wildest dreams!"
Monkey: "that's not what you said"

Pigsy: "Monkey let me ask you something.... do you use a lot of hair product?"

Even the majority of achievements are fun, well, except Tech Curator...curses. Tech Curator and Trip's Not So Sexy Robot DLC skin are really my only "iffy" points on the whole thing.

I felt the story was fine, it was a slow cooker buildup. They're sole focus was to survive all the while you're seeing bits of history unfold along the way hinting at something on a much grander scale. I though the ending brought it together nicely. No epilogue, true would have been nice to see some form of wrap-up.

One thing I found really creepy, in the "Old Battlefield" level on the way to collect the power cell from the Rhino lair/giant mechs hand.... anyone else notice when you get into the area by the giant mechs head the one remaining mech eye is still active and follows your movements?

That creeped me out. Very nice touch.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote