View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
IDiivil

Send a message via AIM to IDiivil

idiivil's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingFilly View Post
I too am having an issue with this. Your guide is suited for people following it from the very beginning, which is fine, but those of us who started the game before you made this guide are prone to getting totally lost. I have a splitting headache from the confusion this has caused me. I have all of the marks but one. I looked through your maps and none stuck out to me as "oh, the last one is there," so for the past several hours I've been going through the areas, one by one, checking to see if I have all the ones in that area. Other than the teleports it's extremely confusing how to get from one area to the next. I'll end up spending 5-10 minutes getting to the other end of the map to see where X level transition takes me through complete trial and error, and it ends up being the wrong one, and by the time I've gotten there I've completely forgotten where I was trying to go or which levels I haven't tested, etc.

Leading to me going to the same areas over and over and over again without ever finding that last mark. I tried reading your guide but it still isn't clear where the transitions to each area are, perhaps because it's far more linear when you're going through the game as opposed to when you're almost through with the game and have opened everything up. Therefore someone who's going through the game as they read the guide doesn't need those explanations... but those of us who are almost done do. :\ I finally had to put the controller down because I'm so confused and mentally exhausted from trying to do this.

Here's a few solutions for you that I would have used to find the last missing mark:

1. Play through the game anew. Considering that a replay takes only maybe 3 hours (assuming if you understand the game and skip the unnecessaries), you would be saving more time replaying Outland from the start than going on a big hunt for that one last mark if searching for it has taken you several hours or more.

2. If you aren't keen on restarting completely, go through the maps and check the lower left corner for the number of marks that are there and make sure you have them. If you can't recall where you were or where you've been, write it down somewhere. All you have to do is add all the map names Auburok wrote above into a list and say at the end of each one of them whether you have it completed or not. You won't have to waste your time after that being confused.

i.e.

Sky: The Mist-Shrouded Forest DONE

Now, I believe that redoing the maps/directions is bad for the following reasons:

1. The only real addition the maps even need are health/energy locations.

2. Zones can be marked to say which one leads to which, but that will make the maps very, very confusing for a first time user because you are then mixing order of acquisition based directions with going-back directions. Considering that a going-back user has the benefit of teleportation (which really shouldn't be depended on considering how many are missing total, by the way), the lower left marks counter, added power, and general understanding of the game, I would say it is more fair to give the assistance to a complete beginner than to muddle the maps up to serve both groups.

3. To reply specifically to you then, Filly, I don't see how you can argue that you aren't sure where X transition leads to Y when you aren't even sure where you've been. To add, how can you tell when a zone is the wrong one? I'm not sure if I really understand where you are getting confused, so...

...to help you navigate, Auburok explained how the hub/crossroads connects to each other... if you start from there and just walk through the levels and check the lower left corner, you should find your answer on which mark is the missing one without losing that much time. In the end, Underworld is connected to Underworld, Sky is Sky, and etc... they are separate. You have to use the hub to get to the other areas (i.e. from Sky to Underworld). You can easily mark them off and figure out what's missing and remove chunks of the game at each time (i.e. UNDERWORLD COMPLETE - NO MARKS MISSING HERE). Then, you won't have to go back there ever again.

I hope that made sense.

Good luck.

Like my avatar? If so, you can see more of my modeling work at http://www.facebook.com/idiivil

Last edited by IDiivil; 05-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.
IDiivil is offline   Reply With Quote