We all will miss you, old friend. And f**k you EA!

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was one of the first shooters on the Xbox 360, and gave us console gamers a first glimpse of what Dice would laer offer us through to robust and amazing Bad Company series. While I wish I could go back and enjoy this game today, I cannot, for EA have shut down the servers within hours of my current time. Thnak you EA, for once again, destroying my hopes of earning all achievements (I had only one achievement to go online, 500 sessions) and making another shady move to push people towards your new games, which while good, I would've prefered to play the games I want to play.

Good bye forever! Post your fun, horrible, or just outrageous memories of this game here. Just a departing letter for the game that led to one of the greatest FPS's of all time.

The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.

Give him a break. Yes, if he was truly a hardcore Battlefield player he would have had 500 sessions, but I imagine his point was that he was feeling sad to see it go and was planning on getting that last achievement at some point in the future.

Hell, I hardly played Army of Two more than 2 or 3 campaign runs and a small bit of multiplayer but I have really fond memories of it and I'm sad to see it go and I didn't have the 1 billion achievement.

The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.

Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.

I picked up this game a week before shutdown as a challenge to myself to see if I could bang out all the online stuff in one week. Though I did manage to do that, along the way, I realized I actually quite liked the game and wish I had more time to have fun with it.

Feel the same way about Army of Two. Legitimately playing bounties in Iraq was a blast; now I can never do it again =(

The thing you have to keep in mind is that we achievement hunters represent a comparatively small portion of the online gaming community. I can't in good conscience fault EA for shutting down Battlefield 2 and devoting those servers to more modern purposes. From a business standpoint, I doubt they're going to keep up the servers that cost them money when they have far more populous games to support. It's all supply and demand. There is virtually no demand for Battlefield 2 servers anymore, and tons of demand for Bad Company performance. So where do you think EA is going to commit the supply of those servers?

EA's shutdown policy may have the effect of making me think twice before buying an EA game, but I do know that EA is a company, I am far in the minority, and that companies exist for the sole purpose of making money. If anyone should be demonized, it's the retail outlets, especially Gamestop who should know better, that continue to sell incomplete EA games at the same retail price post-shutdown.

There were just three multiplayer chievos left for me and I didn't get them. It's no big deal, really. I didn't have the time or patience to go for the 200/500 sessions, though I did manage to get the others out of the way. The 50 major victories I kind of had the time for and should have gone for it but, again, it's nothing. But, regardless, I am still sad to see such a popular shooter go.

Way I see it, it's like losing a loved one. You had some great memories together since the beginning, but you knew that, at one point, it would all come to an end. This was just Modern Combat's end.

"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.

I didn't learn of the news until the prior Sunday. Honestly, if EA didn't have Bioware and DICE in their developer line-up, I would never buy any of their games. They are worse than Activision, I mean, look at Call of Duty 2. That game is six years old! Older than Battlefield 2, more people play Battlefield 2, they shut down the servers for BF2, yet CoD2 is still up. Honestly, EA shouldn't even be selling their games on retail if you're paying for a portion of the game, and not the whole game. I could give a shit less about their whole "We have full rights to shut down servers for our games, we will give a thirty day notice." It's bullshit.

Yeah, but how the fuck are games like SOCOM 3 still up? That game was in the LAST gaming generation, and yet, Zipper Interactive keeps those servers up. No company should shut down the servers for a game, and then be stubborn as hell and not hand the servers over to somebody else to manage. I also have obviously not had the luxury to be able to boost the damn game until this "thirty day notice" came up and everybody was frantic to max out all those EA games they left in the dust. Honestly, it's the fact EA doesn't give a flying fuck about the people they leave behind when they shut down those servers. They don't unlock the online achievements for those who don't already have those, they don't hand over the servers to somebody who actually care about the game still. Nope. They are stubborn as hell, and is a primary reason why EA will always remain the biggest asshole of the industry.

most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.

hi all i just wanna say that i am also devastated that bfmc has been taken off line, and would have loved for it to stay on-line because no matter what we all spent money on these games, and then got blatantly robbed by ea, bcos no matter what games should be left on, but ea are defo money grabbing cxxts who keep bringing a load of games out at once just so they can do what there doing, so we all need to fight on to get that brilliant game bfmc 2 back on-line and get what we paid for, so to all you bfmc hardcore players dont just walk away lets get it back.

most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.

Sorry, this isn't legible at all, haha.

Basically, EA seems to not give a damn about anybody but themselves. I say, Kotick is cooler than EA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The OP is right - they should never take a game offline altogether. It isn't like they can't afford some limited support - or hand some servers to microsoft so they can keep it running on XBL as long as they keep selling it.

Seeing as they are pushing this in the XBOX fan appreciation sale on now:

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/22/xbox-live-fan-appreciation-sale/

with just the slightest note at the end of the blurb:

"Some multi-player functionalities may no longer be supported."

which most people are likely to miss.

Bit of a scam for them to keep selling it if they don't want to support it anymore....

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it sucks. And i can´t believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and i´m a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldn´t that be awesome? I´ve added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. I´m sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:

[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:

Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

I´ve also made a video, you can find it here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif Johnysnake

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing this back before I even had a 360. In '05 this was raging on the PS2...I would have had all the achievements too. When I bought a 360 though I sort of forgot about my long lost friend. I did manage to get a couple of online cheevos before they pulled the plug. I was 13 when I played this for the first time, now I am 20 and I still have fond memories of this game...You will be missed indeed. I am keeping the 360 game disc forever. You can still listen to the menu music which brings me back.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, it sucks. And i can´t believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and i´m a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldn´t that be awesome? I´ve added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. I´m sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:

[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:

Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

I´ve also made a video, you can find it here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif Johnysnake

You're not even being subtle with this. 0/10, EA viral advertising at its worst.

• 5 months later...