Tough Stuff 20G
Complete all missions on Hardcore Difficulty
Hardcore isn't all that bad really but then again it depends on have good you are. You really have to be on your toes to make this easier. This sounds funny but you are almost impossible to hit if you just drive around in circles, your enemies have a real hard time hitting you. Whether its circles or in a figure eight the point is to keep moving, when you constantly change your direction they can't lock onto you. The upgrades for the machine guns help out a lot and secondary weapons, just make sure you don't die as they reset when you do. You can also hit enemies when they are off screen, just look at your score bar to see if you are hitting anything (since as long as you're hitting an enemy it will count). And remember to take your time or you will die quick, very quick. Two hits from a heavy tank or three from anything that fires a rocket and you're dead. Use caution instead of charging into an area. And stay well away from anything that spits fire.
I'm not going to say which character is best for the job since that depends on how you like to play the game, I'll just say I went with Armand. I find his shield ability to be almost invaluable, it's handy when you need to get away and the Rebound tactic makes tanks and rockets work for you. I've been using him with the Second Chance, Harden Hull, Rebound, and Efficiency-Elite abilities.
Each character comes with their own set of special abilities. So whether you use Diz's EMP, Armand's Shield, Roxy's Air Strike, or Gunnar's Heavy Gun depends entirely on how you like to crush your foes. You'll just have mix and match their offensive and defensive abilities to what works best for you.
Here's a glitch that will prove useful thanks to Insaniac85:
*This may have been patched with the update, so try at your own risk*
Originally Posted by Insaniac85
info for the hardcore-cheevo: there's a glitch in which you only have to play level 1-8 on hardcore. level 9 can be played on normal (maybe even casual).
Lord Master of Great Skill 30G
Get "Skill Level - Alien" in single player
After getting this I can confirm that you only have to score two to three times more amount of damage than you receive. Your score, damage streaks, and time don’t matter what so ever. I got this on level six with a score of about 3.3 million, died once, and no streak above 13 while going as slow as possible. Six is a prefect level to get this on, there are a number of heavy tanks that can easily be hit on the edge of or off screen. Just take your time a try to do the same to as many enemies (killing them off screen) as you can or get them to chase you and kill them while fleeing. It’s amazingly easy to get once you know the trick. This has to be done on the hardcore setting as well.
I found some tips for getting this over on the ps3trophies.org site and the credit goes to them not me.
Originally Posted by Yoszek (a few posts combined and edited)
I thought it will be ultra hard but it was suprisingly easy.
I played Mission 6 (The Cauldron) on Hardcore Difficulty with the Diz character. Upgrades were: Defense:Hardened Hull, Tactics: Static Shock-Elite & Efficiency-Elite & Super Charged.
Just kept pushing forward and using EMP every time there was some tanks or rocket vehicles. Got a 54 kill streak in there too. I lost my streak after 54, but still got a few more streaks over 20.
I did it without loosing a single life. If you watch out for rockets you will be able to survive it easly.
Also got Alien rank on Missions 8 and 9, so I'm sure that with some practice it can be achieved in all missions without a problem.
Also funny thing happened to me at the last boss fight. We doubled KO each other and the game completed for me. I got the trophy Tough Stuff and Alien rank but on scoreboard it was GAME OVER and 0 score.
Originally Posted by jonfelkin (edited)
I agree it was shockingly easy. I did it with Diz in Hardcore on Mission 3, as I was progressing in the story, and I also collected all the relics. I was just trying to get maximum damage while taking minimal damage (like the in-game hint suggests). I don't think the kill streak affects it, just how much damage you do and take, so score is probally not a deciding factor.
Lost one life, almost two, and no kill streak over 25 ~ but still got Alien rank on it!
Also did Mission 2 with Superhuman rank trying the same tactic (go for damage whilst taking the minimum possible). Didnt loose a life there but don't think I killed enough for Alien.
Mega Kill Combo 20G
Get a 50x Damage Streak in single player
In order to get this one you are going to have to play on hardcore. You'll have to score 50 kills in roll while not letting the damage streak bar fall (bottom right of the screen) and be as quick about it as you can. Sounds hard but as long as you are putting shots on a target it won't decrease as quick or run out. Its best to try this on levels where enemies and/or groups are in a closer proximity to one another.
Okay, finally got this. I think the best level for it and the one I got it on is level 3. When taking out the SAM sites (shortly after the secondary objective becomes active). I got a 60x streak, so you more than easily can get it there. Diz really seems to be the key to getting this with her EMP and easier controls. Went with the Hardened Hull, Stasis Shock-Elite, Efficiency-Elite, and the Turbo Boost (a must if you want this achievement).
Here's some great advice by heatDrive88 on how to get this achievement:
*Check below for the full post, don't have enough room for the entire thing*
The easiest place to get a 50x damage streak is on Mission 2, when you have to take on the quest of taking down the mortars.
1) Before you enter the first area of enemies at the left-most mortar, make sure you take a look at the map and mentally note the quickest and most efficient path to reach one sub-area to the next. As you progress halfway through while clearing to the right, there's a jump you can take off a cliff which will help get you to the next sub-area faster.
2) Most obviously, go in with your machine gun at the max level of 3, and bring either rockets or the railgun for your secondary weapon. Homing rockets could help so you don't have to try so hard at aiming, but it's not necessary. Don't use a flamer as it will take too long to kill enemies, and the shorter distance is not helpful.
3) Take the Nitro-Boost ability with you at the beginning before the mission starts. These short boosts will help you get from sub-area to sub-area much faster. Just be careful with it and try to only use it on a straightaway, as one wrong boost at a turn or a twisting jump will send you flying, most likely not in the direction you want to go or into the trees which will possibly end up with you being flipped over. If this happens, you're going to get screwed over and the damage streak timer will run out, and you'll likely need to start the mission all over again.
4) Every entrance/exit from each sub-area to another where will have 1 or 2 bunker towers at them, which will only fire weak gunfire bursts at you. As you exit from one sub-area to another, try to shoot and destroy the bunker tower as you are driving away and leaving from the sub-area to the next. This will keep your damage streak timer as high as possible to give you more time to travel from one sub-area to the next. Be sure to also prepare for the inevitable bunker tower as you approach each new sub-area, and begin firing on it immediately when it enters your view to keep the damage streak going.
5) Don't waste time picking up health unless you absolutely need it. The last thing you need to do is let your damage streak timer run off while you attempt to pick up items or shoot at things that won't keep your damage streak going. If you're in the red on health, then of course, try to pick it up as quickly as possible, but just don't take too long as time is definitely a factor.
6) Lastly, don't be afraid to use your railgun or rockets on the enemy, or your special ability. Some people get gun-shy with them, but if you chose the loadout that I recommended, they will regenerate fast enough that you can use your rockets or railgun on every missile truck enemy you run into, and possibly more. Getting hit by an enemy rocket can devastate you health, so you need to dispose of those missile truck enemies quickly and efficiently. If you die partway through your damage streak attempt, you will most definitely have to start the mission over again for another attempt.