All right boys. Frost of the 7th ODST is here to give you a quick course in saving your own ass
And by saving your own ass, I mean saving yourself gobs of time spending five hours at a time playing a Firefight level on Easy to get 200K solo, or endless headaches trying to organize games with random people when you don't necessarily have to.
I already posted general tips elsewhere a while back in another thread, and they're repeated below, but doubtless some people would much rather watch and learn by example than try to apply text descriptions to their gameplay. Put more simply: Actions teach louder than words. With that in mind...
In slots 17-24 of my File Share, I have permanently posted films of me doing every single Firefight level solo and breaking 200,000 points in each. Average length is about an hour and a half, but I played until I ran out of lives on each one, so except for Rally Point, I hit 200,000 points LONG before the film ends, often somewhere around the 45-50 minute mark. Each of these films is the actual game where I got the achievement for the first time
. These are not some carefully practiced productions to show off what I can do at my absolute best and that you have no hope of doing yourself. These are genuine first times where I went in armed with nothing but a map of weapon and ammo locations. You can
do this too, and you might even do it faster than I did.
Crater, Lost Platoon, and Rally Point were done on Normal due to their being overly difficult solo, so they take a bit longer. The rest were done on Heroic.
Link to File Set: 200K Solo Films
Links to the individual films:
Lost Pltn 300K
Rally Pnt 200K
Sec Zone 421K
Alpha Site 321K
Chasm Ten 375K
Last Exit 295K
Simply click "Download to Halo 3: ODST" on each while logged into Bungie.net with your XBL profile, and they'll be ready to go in the Theater the next time you start ODST.
Hope these can save some people some time by showing you what to do, where to do it, and how to do it. Where the weapons and ammo are, when is the best time to use them for sprees, where safe zones are, and how to use and abuse them to your advantage. It certainly beats trying forever to organize games with people when ODST's population is so low these days. Now you can see how you can get 200K all by yourself any time you have about an hour to throw at one of the achievements.
1. If you can, play on Heroic. It'll go faster due to higher multipliers and it offers enough of a challenge that it can actually be fun. Legendary is overboard and you'll just chase frustration. Bump it down to normal if it's too hard, but don't go all the way to easy unless you're completely shitty because it'll take an obscenely long time.
2. The first two waves of every round, chase spree bonuses. Grab the sniper rifle first and get Sniper Spree and then Sharpshooter as many times as you can before you run out of ammo. If there's a shotgun on the map, grab that next and get as many Shotgun Sprees and Open Seasons as you can. If there is a gravity hammer left over from Brute Chieftains from the end of the previous round, keep it in your inventory and use it to get Hammer Spree and Dreamcrusher AFTER doing sniper spree/sharpshooter on the first round. You get about 4000 to 5000 points for each spree bonus, so this racks up points VERY quickly.
3. Watch for groups of grunts and rack up successive headshot kills as fast as you can on them. Groups of 3 or more are best.
4. Handle Brutes by plasma overcharging them and then rapidly headshotting them with the Automag or Cov Carbine for a point bonus, or use the needler on them. Don't waste your bullets.
5. Save your SMG ammo for the waves with tons of bugs, or tons of jackals. The SMG is at its best against bugs and jackals.
6. Be careful with your lives. Your goal is to die an absolute minimum of times, or not at all preferably on the first two rounds of each set. That way you can expend lives to get through the Black Eye round without having to be frustratingly cautious.
7. Save the Rocket Launcher for incase you get attacked by Hunters on a wave, or if you don't, save it for the last wave.
8. If a Spartan Laser is available, save it to kill Wraiths for easy 5000 point bonuses.
9. If you don't have rockets to deal with the last wave of the round, the next best way to kill the Brute Chieftains with the gravity hammers is to plasma overcharge them to remove their shields, and then shoot their helmets as fast as you can with the Automag or Carbine. After 5-8 headshots their helmet will pop off and you can headshot them, and you don't have to deal with their 10 seconds of invincibility at half health.
10. Keep a gravity hammer handy if possible on the Black Eye round and use it to heal yourself. When you've sustained a lot of damage and your health is starting to be affected, hang back and hide just around the corner from a doorway and let a grunt or jackal come to you, then whack him.
11. Enemies (excepting the Brute Chieftains who will always chase you down) won't always go into certain safe areas of the map, typically located in the back of the spawn areas, allowing you to retreat and recover as necessary in relative safety. Learn where these spots are and use/abuse this to your advantage.