Should I get this game?

I have all the other Naruto games for the xbox at first I thought meh about this one as what I had saw was it was the same as ninja storm 2 but with 3 new characters.

My bf bought the game for the ps3 so ive seen the character list and am quite impressed he said its not so good due to no cutscenes like on the last game just narrative and pictures telling the story I like the sounds of this as theres no button (mash) sequence parts now and thats what ive hated about the other games.

Theres only 2 things that I want to know first before I make up my mind is there difficulty settings for the story and can you play vs and grind points to unlock characters instead of playing story like on ninja storm 2?

In answer to your questions, there is no difficulty setting for the story mode and you have to play story to get characters; that is the only way to unlock them as far as I know .

As for whether or not to get it, I can only offer my own reflections of the game. I found that aside from the new characters it wasn't much different from Storm 2. The survival mode got extremely tedious and the tournament mode was sloppy and poorly put together. I felt the game makers just slapped half a game together and put as little effort as possible into it. Also, player matches now record wins/losses, which is annoying because you can't get practice in online anymore without ruining your win to loss ratio.

Also, the new substitution system is terrible. Basically you have a bar on the screen with four substitutions, using the LT to automatically get out of a bad situation. At first I thought this was great since it would get rid of the spammers online, but it turned out to be extremely aggravating for me since I found that everyone just runs away at any sign of danger. If this was only online players it would be bearable since I expect people online to play as cheaply as possible, but the computer plays the exact same way too. Constantly running away from everything. Or you have people online who just rush you constantly, force you to use up all your substitution points, then punish you with multiple combos. It got annoying really fast.

I loved Storm 2, but this game is not worth it. It's the same game with a couple bells and whistles added and is marred by some really poor gameplay choices. I would not recommend it, especially not for $60. Oh yeah, if you're also concerned about achievements, it's an irritating grind fest, especially for the info cards.

• 1 month later...
I found that aside from the new characters it wasn't much different from Storm 2. The survival mode got extremely tedious and the tournament mode was sloppy and poorly put together. I felt the game makers just slapped half a game together and put as little effort as possible into it...

It's the same game with a couple bells and whistles added and is marred by some really poor gameplay choices. I would not recommend it, especially not for $60. Oh yeah, if you're also concerned about achievements, it's an irritating grind fest...

THIS^ It's a fun game but they really cut back on the story mode (I didn't made the roaming too much) and completely removed boss battles, which were arguably the best part about Storm 2. As for online, I found myself not playing it as much as I did Storm 2 (though when I did, I would stick with tournaments).

But yea, this game feels like it could have just been an add-on, DLC, or update to Storm 2. My advice would be to go for that one instead. Or perhaps wait until a Storm 3 comes out which will probably be when the series ends.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...