View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
KillTheft_Echo

Perpetual Echo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Fable kind of lost its way, I believe. They tried to do too much after Fable 1 was such a success, and the latter two were lackluster.

As for Amalur, I think it's fantastic.

Pros
Fluid, Fun Combat System- Being able to fluidly switch between two weapons and cast spells at the same time makes fighting enemy after enemy quite fun. I just wish there was a bit more complexity to the shifting, such as different combos and finishers depending on when you hit what power/weapon.
Length- I've put a good 30 or so hours into the game in the past week or so and have not even explored half of the game world. Quests galore, too.
Loot System- For me, at least, it's terribly exciting opening chests and checking dead enemies for the next best weapons/armor.

Cons
Story- Like some of you said before me, the story is dreadfully awful. I listened to the dialogue through the tutorial, and since then have mashed the X button. I feel like they tried to do too much with a brand new world, and overcomplicated it to the point where no one knows what's going on.
Skill System- Not the Abilities, but almost all the skills are useless. I mean, I have never put a point in Lockpicking or Dispelling and can open Very Hard chests in both categories. Really simple. Sagecrafting is alright, and alchemy isn't really needed since Hard mode is so simple. The only ones really worth it are Detect Hidden, Mercantile, Persuasion and Stealth if you're going to be sneaky. Having more unique or useful skills would have been nice.

Really, I drew more of a comparison from this game to the Elder Scrolls games rather than Fable. I mean, it's all there, from the Warsworn (Companions), Travelers (Theives Guild), and Scholia Arcana (Mages Guild) factions to three main playstyles (Warrior, Mage, Thief/Assassin), it's a cut-and-dry RPG, much like the review for the game said.

With a little more originality and uniqueness, along with a little less complexity in terms of the story, I think this could have been a home run.

I bleed Orange & Blue
KillTheft_Echo is offline   Reply With Quote