Errol Errolson's Gamercard
Achievement Guide and Road Map

The Cave
Achievement Guide/Roadmap

Overview:
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10
-Offline: 27 (400 )
-Online: 0 (0 )
-Approximate time to 400 : 5-7 hours (approx 1-1:30 hour(s) per playthrough)
-Minimum number of playthroughs: 5
-Missable achievements: Plenty but can easily be replayed
-Glitched achievements: None
-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats

The Cave. A game by Ron Gilbert and Doublefine Games.

Introduction
Each character has two endings, good and bad.
Bad simply requires you to trade your stolen trinket for your hearts desire and then leave The Cave.
Good requires you to hand back your hearts desire (it will take three tries before the man accepts it) and leave The Cave.
You'll gain two Cave Paintings per ending per character.

This guide is not a puzzle guide but could incorporate puzzle solutions if deemed necessary.

Step 1 - Playthrough 1 (of 5)
13 achievements (135 )

Group: Hillbilly, Knight and Time Traveler.

This is your main playthrough and you'll be dealing with the majority of the miscellaneous achievements along with the story based ones for Hillbilly, Knight and Time Traveler.
You'll also be getting the Cave Paintings for Hillbilly, Knight and Time Traveler so keep your eyes open!
Remember to steal the postcard before you leave the Gift Shop (and carry it through the rest of The Cave) to snag Shoplifting and Remorse.
At the Carnival you'll need to get fortunes for Hillbilly, Knight and Time Traveler from Xavetar.
Upon returning to the gift shop you should get the bad ending for Hillbilly, Knight and Time Traveler.

Step 2 - Playthrough 2 (of 5)
4 achievements (70 )

Group: Hillbilly, Scientist and Monk

This is your do-not-die playthrough. I find this group to be the easiest for this. Remember you can quit-to-dash to avoid death (up until you respawn seems to work) but you'll lose a variable amount of gameplay.
Keep your eyes open for the Scientist and Monks Cave Paintings.
At the Carnival you'll need to get fortunes for Scientist and Monk from Xavetar.
Upon returning to the gift shop you should get the bad ending Scientist and Monk and the good ending for Hillbilly.

Step 3 - Playthrough 3 (of 5)
7 achievements (120 )

Group: Hillbilly, Adventurer and Twins

This is the last time you need to take the Hillbilly! You'll also have finished every bad ending and taken all 7 characters to the bottom.
Keep your eyes open for the Adventurer and Twin's Cave Paintings. (The trickiest painting is behind the bookcase in the lounge of the Twin's house)
At the Carnival you'll need to get fortunes for Adventurer and Twins from Xavetar.
Upon returning to the gift shop you should get the bad ending Twins and Adventurer and whatever ending you want for Hillbilly.

Step 4 - Playthrough 4 (of 5)
1 achievements (10 )

Group: Knight, Time Traveler and Scientist

This is pretty much just a run-to-the-end playthrough. You've done nearly everything there is to do already. Based on a suggestion by DropDeadArtemus I've moved Hazardous Work Environment into this playthrough due to the high chance of dying.
Upon returning to the gift shop you should get the good ending for Knight, Time Traveler and Scientist.

Step 5 - Playthrough 5 (of 5)
2 achievements (65 )

Group: Monk, Adventurer and Twins

This is it! I hope I never see another mine car EVER.
Upon returning to the gift shop you should get the good ending for Monk, Adventurer, Twins.

Last edited by ErrolErrolson; 01-27-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: tweaked the time requirement a little and fixed image urls
ErrolErrolson is offline   Reply With Quote