View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #39
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The irony is that Halo's "Core-Gameplay" was, as I pointed out, very much exploratory. I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately in contradiction to what I said last night about gamers owning the Industry, this is one of those times where the Industry has to take control and lead gamers down the path to the future. Most gamers can't sit down and innovate the games they play. They can tell you how they want a game based off of what another game does or what it did in a previous game in the series, but most gamers will never come up with an innovative or unique idea and they will never move forward if they don't let the industry evolve. Even if it's not necessarily unique, it's still less "I want Iron Sights" and more "Halo Should be like CoD and add Iron Sights."

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that gamers don't know what they want. They bitch when things don't innovate and change, but they bitch when things are changed and a series begins to innovate *Looks at the Halo Fanbase* So the best way for the industry to evolve is to neglect what people want and focus on doing things that push the scope of the imagination and advance the industry forward.

I won't pretend to know what's best for the industry. I have ideas that people love like introducing unarmed combat to Halo and ideas that people hate like splitting game campaigns into episodic content, but like it or hate it these ideas get people thinking about what games could be and it starts to push in the right direction.

If only more people were focused more on the quality of the games they play and less on the quantity of games they get and less focused on being able to "shoot their buddies" constantly, the industry would be overflowing with unique titles. Alas, the industry has been overtaken by Casual gamers that care about nothing but that mindless multiplayer fix. And don't kid yourself, if you're one of those people that is only interested in a game for it's online multiplayer, you're a casual gamer. I don't care how "good" you are at a particular game.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote