Little Rocket Man Guide.

Little Rocket Man Guide:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/308/UP8i9yw=.jpg

When I first started this achievement I thought it was going to be a walk in the park. But as I go along I began to get very frustrated with the gnome and I wanted to kill him. I had left him in unretrievable places twice and had to start the whole game over so im writing this to save you time.

If you can supply better pictures send me a pm and ill add them on.

When you first get to the radio room in Half-Life2 Ep.2 You will find him under the shelf just left of the door you leave out of. Pick him up get to know him because this part takes a while. You may think hes cute but you will soon learn to hate that little smile on his face. For the purposes of me being lazy im going to call him Bob.

Once you first enter the mine and have to unblock the cart to open the way you can just leave him there at the bottom with alyx and he'll be just fine. Once the way is unblocked pick him up and jump the fence. Go over to the fence that you leave out of and place him to the right of it by the building. After alyx is attacked by the Hunter he'll still be laying there safe and sound.

Once you re enter the mine just keep him close because HE SINKS IN THE WATER! I lost him twice because I dropped him and didn't know where he went to.

Once you fall down the hole in the man made tunnel you can place Bob on the ground. I put him next to the mine cart right in front of you when you drop down. And take care of all the enemies first. Once you killed the 3 acid workers go get Bob. And go down the lit tunnel near the mine carts where you get the shotgun.

Once in the tunnel leave him there and take care of the acid worker that awaits you on the other side once hes taken care of go and retrieve Bob.

Once on the other side of the blockcade and in the big room Leave him on the ground until all enemies have been taken care of. DO NOT JUMP OVER TO THE NEXT SECTION WITHOUT BOB! Once all enemies are dead pick up bob and continue on. WARNINING: Do not leave bob at the bottom of the room near the water. I left him there and the Acid Worker jumped down and it flung him into the abyss and I wasn't able to find him.

Once on the top of the ramp look over to the two grubs on your left on the other side. Shoot him across and he should still be in sight once done then jump over.

Once on the other side pick bob back up and swim under the rock. Once on the other side place Bob down on dry land and take care of all the enmies first. You should be good once your on the other side of the barnacles and you killed the two acids. Then go back and get Bob. Go through the tunnel and stop where there is a smaller tunnel to your left with 1 grub in it. Drop bob and go inside and take care of the 3 acids waiting on the other side. Go back and get Bob.

Keep fallowing the tunnels until you come to the part where the big battle with the ant lions is. Go down by the lift and place bob by one of the boxs you can leave him there until after you healed alyx. He will be there when you get back from getting the extract.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/pyro50013/P1080078.jpg

http://hlcomic.com/gnome/026.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 2:

Ok after the cut scene where you see "G Man" Deliver a message to alyx you can now go back and pick up bob from his resting place. And go into the elevator with alyx. Once out of the lift keep ahold of bob and drop down the hole. Go outside and jump over the rocks on the left. Go ahead and place bob somewhere, yu'll remember. I put him right next to the drill station until the take care of all the enemies in the area.

Once you take out both of the big ant lions go back and get bob and head towards the elevator. Once you unstick the elevator make sure you put bob in there with you cause theres no going back. Once at the top go down the big hallway and go out towards the watch tower.

WARNING: Do not leave Bob up here with Alyx because you cannot get back on the other side to get him once you open the gate for it is time limited and does not stay open long enough for you to get Bob.

(People have claimed if you leave him next to the door, you can grab him when it opens for Alyx to come through. I was unable to do it for I was too slow... This description shows and alternative way.)

SAVE HERE!

What you want to do is pick up Bob with the Gravity Gun and try to launch him onto the bridge. It took me several tries to do so but he should be there once you get the car.

As I promised hes still there safe and sound.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/pyro50013/P1080080.jpg

Closer one:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/pyro50013/P1080081.jpg

Time for the hard part:

Keeping Bob in the car!

When I started out I placed Bob on the drivers side where Gorden gets in so I can see when he flys out. Take your time don't rush this part. If you go too fast Bob will fly out. And he will almost always fall out on sharp turns. But if he does fall out go retrieve him and place him back inside.

By the time you get to the town with the radio tower Bob has fallen out more times then you can count. Just leave him in the car until after your done killing everything and doing everything you do here. Once your finished you are once again given the agonizing task of keeping Bob in the car -_-

Soon you should come up to an old barn where you find the "adviser." Just Leave Bob in the car. Once the combine are there make sure you take em all out. That includes the hunter and all of the combine in the house across the "street."

If you had put the car by the gate it will be pushed back and Bob will be on the ground around where you had the car. Just put him back in and get the "hell out of dodge."

You will then be attacked by a gunship. You can either keep putting bob back into the car or you can Use the shoot and drive method which you can see in this video:

Thanks to: arsenal0119 for the find.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=kK9ZPnG_QzY]YouTube - Half Life EP2 "the gnome+chopper" part 2[/ame]

Edited by Steve50013

Part 3:

Ok Once your through the tunnel that Gunship will still be right on your tail just take your time with Bob in the car for there is alot of cover and the gunship can't always hit you.

Once you ram the gate grab Bob and take him with you DON'T LEAVE HIM IN THE CAR! Once your in the train yard where you fight off the gunship and get the opportunity to get the Putting on a Clinic Achievement. If you haven't already got it. Just place bob down in the hole where you came out of and take care of that "pest."

Once hes dead make sure you grab Bob and go into the workshop. While alyx and the resistance soldier talk you can walk over to the mechanic and take his drink and smash it he'll get mad and talk to you. (Just something to do while you wait.)

Warning: Don't Leave Bob in the center of the workshop for he will disappear when they bring in the car leave him in a corner or take him with you. Thanks to: apricot

I took Bob with me into the pit with all the zombies because I wasn't sure if you would be able to get him again once you take out the gun. I left Bob just on the other side of the pip in the field with the gun. Go back and get Bob and run back to your precious Car and put Bob inside.

Be very careful when going through the waste. You don't want to lose Bob here unless you like taking constant damage.

You know how the opportunity to get the Cache Checker Achievement if you haven't already but I'm not going to go over their locations for there is already posts about where they are.

As you go drive carefully making sure that Bob is still with you.

Your almost there I promise.

Ok next is the part where you get ambushed just leave Bob in the car and run into the house and take care of all that. Once your done and you got the shield down Bob should still be there.

Once you knock out the generator and get rid of the force field get back to the car and start heading out once more. Careful not to lose Bob if you go off the ramp. You should soon be where Dog takes at the Giant Strider. Just watch the scene and go YAY! Because your at white forest!

Once the gate is open take your time getting to the white forest gate. It's impossible to beat Dog and keep Bob in the Car so if your trying to get the Pedal to the Metal acheivement just save before racing dog. Race him win and reload to have Bob with you still.

Once you get to the White Forest Gates get out and grab Bob. And walk into the base your 98% there! Once inside you can either run straight to Alyx's dad or you can listen to the Lamba soldiers talk. This one guy is a complete liar and I thought it was halarius.

Get onto the lift and go down into Silo 1. Once at the bottom wait for the professor to move put Bob into the Missle. and Close the door *Ding* Achievement Unlocked!

Guide Written by: Me

Help from: apricot, arsenal0119

Great guide! One thing I will add - when you get to the workshop where they're fixing your car, don't put Bob on the table or anywhere in the middle of the room. He'll disappear when they re-arrange the room and bring the car in. Put him in a corner or at the top of the stairs.

let me share with you, if i may, my story...

going through the achievement list before playing TOB (as i do with all new games) i noticed this fun little gem. after beating HL2 and HL2:1, i was excited to see just what this next achievement would entail. so, in what seemed like the VERY beginning, i was somewhat surprised to discover the gnome. i knew that the missle was at the very end, so they wouldn't put the gnome at the very beginning. skeptically, i brought him with me. better safe than sorry...

so along me and gringo (my name for him) went on our adventures. we reloaded time after time while trying to escape the invulnerable guardian antlion, but eventually made it through. then, i got to the bridge. i couldn't keep him in the car... and the car was absolutely necessary, so i couldn't leave it. i used my logic and decided that there MUST be another gnome, closer to the missle. i left him on the bridge and never looked back. (or saved...)

i got on here tonight to find the location of the second gnome. only to discover that gringo had no brother. so, i'll start over, and we'll journey together again... and using this helpful guide, i'll keep him in the car with me. and as for missing him, oh not me... i'll be all too glad to send his stupid looking face and slightly crooked feet into space. don't you feel the sarcasm in that stupid smile of his? it's so mocking and condescending...

thanks for listening... i had to get that that out of my system...

i found there is JUST enough time to go and get the little sod (wont say my eventual name for this gnome here, its not very nice) in that bridge part if you leave him resting up against the roller door when alyx and the vort are looking at the gun/etc

when you press the button to open this door, and RUN over to the door with the grav gun, as long as you get up the stairs before the vort comes out you can grab him, it took me 3-4 goes, to get it, but i did eventually, dont know if its easier than carrying him all that way, but its certainly possible to do it

(PS i hate that gnome... completely ruined the game for me when i went through trying to do this acheive)

I'm trying the grav gun method now, shooting him down between the train tracks and hiding under them from the chopper. So I get to the long tunnel whilst carrying the gnome and the orange load screen comes on. So I figure, best go get the car (I left it at the barn). I set the gnome (called Steven Seagal) down and turn round to head back, and there's the car right in front me! Thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for this walkthrough, only got this and the Portal medals to go. I personally found the Neighbourhood Watch pretty easy, I only had trouble with the early one at the sawmill but I knew saving that Magnus Cache would make the rest a lot easier and never had to reload after that one.