Metro 2033 Ranger Pack
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10 (6/10 if you do both playthroughs)
-Offline: 9 for 240
-Approximate amount of time to 240: 10-20hrs (depending on number of playthroughs)
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2 (Only 1, with a workaround)
-Number of missable achievements: 0 (Mission Select)
-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheat codes
-Does difficulty affect achievements?: Yes, see below
-Glitchy achievements: None
-Unobtainable achievements: None
-Extra equipment needed?: None
It's important to note that the two achievements do not stack, however it is possible to complete the game on Ranger Easy and only the last part of the game on Ranger Hardcore for credit toward both using a workaround found HERE.
NOTE: You can also do the workaround for the normal difficulties to save even more time (but this awesome game deserves at least a couple playthroughs in my opinion)
There are multiple kill achievements based on the new weapons in this DLC (the Volt Driver and the Heavy Auto Shotgun), sticky grenades, pneumatic weapons, and the knife. You will most likely want to finish up all of the Volt Driver primary (50 kills) and secondary kills (25 kills), as well as the knife kills (50 kills), at the top of the infinite-spawning escalator enemy spawn outside of Cursed Station. Doing so will free your inventory slot up for the Heavy Auto Shotgun you get in Armory Station, which you'll need to get 50 kills with. Over the duration of the game you will also need to get 30 human kills with pneumatic weapons (Helsing/Tihar), which you can get with relative ease in the stealth portions of the game, and you can also work your way toward the 15 stick grenade kills when you want to go loud in these areas for some easy sticky kills after sneaking up on an enemy.
Survivor - 30
Complete the game in Ranger Mode Easy.
See Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing - 50
Complete the game in Ranger Mode Hardcore.
First off, the two new difficulty achievements DO NOT stack. However, you can find a workaround HERE
which allows you to finish the game on Ranger Mode Easy and then redo the last checkpoint on Hardcore.
Gunman - 20
Kill 50 enemies with heavy automatic shotgun.
The heavy automatic shotgun is one of the two new weapons in the game. It is first available after the chase sequence in Armory Station (it's the big gun on the bed you start next to). It's very important to get it here, otherwise you may miss out on the achievement. Note that it will also appear in Sparta in the pile of weapons obtained from Vladimir. The gun has a big clip and high power so getting kills with it isn't overly difficult.
Weaponsmith - 40
Kill at least one enemy with each weapon available in the game.
The list of weapons is as follows:
Shocking - 20
- Trench Knife: Starting weapon.
- Throwing Knife: Can be found on Bourbon's gear in Dry Station, and most humanoids thereafter.
- Revolver: Starting weapon. Dropped by most humans in the game.
- Bastard: Starting weapon. Frequently dropped by enemies in the early portion of the game, and occasionally later on.
- Duplet: Given to you while on the cart during The Chase. These are more frequently found on random corpses, than on enemies that you kill.
- Kalash: Found at the end of the tunnel behind you at the start of Dry Station. Mid to late game humans carry them as well.
- Kalash 2012: Can be acquired from Polis, Sparta or D6. These are not carried by enemies.
- Helsing: Can be acquired at Dead City 1, Front Line, Defense and Outpost. Relatively hidden in each location, so keep your eyes peeled.
- VSV: Can be purchased in the Armory. Can also be acquired at Black Station from Ulman, as well as a couple of locations later in the station. Also found in Sparta, and D6. These are very rarely carried by late game humans.
- Tihar: Can be acquired from Lost Tunnels (head down the left tunnel near the start of the area to find it near a corpse), as well as Frontline.
- Volt Driver: Can be acquired at the bandit station in Lost Tunnels (near the campfire), Armory Station (after the chase sequence, you can only take this or the heavy auto shotgun), or Sparta on the weapons rack.
- Automatic Shotgun: Among the gear that Bourbon leaves behind at the beginning of Dry Station. Commonly carried by late game humans.
- Heavy Automatic Shotgun: Can be acquired from Armory Station (on the bed after the chase sequence) or Sparta (weapons rack).
- Grenade: Can be acquired from various human enemies, loot, merchants, etc.
- Sticky Grenade: Can be acquired from various human enemies, loot, merchants, etc.
Get 50 kills with Volt Driver.
Stunning - 20
Get 25 kills with alternative fire of Volt Driver.
The Volt Driver is the second new weapon in the DLC, and it can be found in a few locations through Metro. The first location is in the Lost Tunnels, on an ammo bag near the campfire in the first room full of bandits (it's important that you get it here). You will also find it on the bed next to the heavy auto shotgun (you can only choose one, and I recommend you choose that), and you'll find it a third time in Sparta base on the weapon rack.
The gun's power is based on its charge, which you must increase in a similar fashion to the NVGs or flashlight, but in this case you need to hold
to charge. This is very important to get the secondary fire kills needed for stunning (press
to do a melee shock attack - aim for the head), and can mean the difference between one-shot kills and 0 damage. I recommend using only the Volt Driver until you reach the auto shotgun in Armory.
Farming kills - When you're outside of Cursed Station and you need to blow up the tunnel and the escalator entrance, park yourself at the top of the escalator for an infinite stream of enemies, so long as you don't block off the entrance. Because they appear in groups, I would recommend getting Stunning done prior to this, and using the primary here as it is safer against groups.
Air Bender - 20
Kill 30 humans with only pneumatic weapons.
The Tihar and the Helsing are both pneumatic weapons, signified by their pumping mechanism which increases their damage. Be sure to keep the weapon pumped to maximum pressure using
and obviously kill humans with it (they don't need to be consecutive kills).
Sterling Effort - 20
Kill 50 mutants with your knife.
This achievement is a pretty good reason to start on Ranger Easy first, as you will be taking quite a bit of damage while trying to stab enemies to death. While you can finish off enemies with the knife that you softened up with a gun, it's less reliable if you constantly kill the target with the gun on accident. Luckily, the alternate attack can be quite powerful if you aim properly (note: throwing knives do not count for this, primary or alternative fire).
Farming kills - You can effectively farm kills for this alongside the Volt Driver kills at the top of the escalator outside of the Cursed Station.
Sticks like a bur - 20
Kill 15 enemies using sticky grenade.
To effectively get a kill with a sticky grenade you'll want to stick the grenade to your target, as they'll run away from the grenade otherwise. Multiple kills with one stuck grenade will count toward this achievement. Sneaking up on enemies to ensure you stick the grenade to them is a good tactic. Other than that, you should get this over your playthrough via sticky grenades that you pickup and/or purchase from merchants.