View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #70
Merch

GoodCoffeeJoey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   VGO Gold Medal   1,000 Posts   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth VeX View Post
I know the world is a different place and terrorists aren't nations so we have to change our tactics, but I think some of what Rockstar is commenting on with this game does hit on how drastically our country has changed in this post-911 world ... more-so than they did in GTA IV I think even.
I know that it is meant to be commentary on the 'Enhanced Interrogation Techniques' used by the US government, but how they portrayed it in the game doesn't really work. The protagonists are against it at first, but are forced go along with it anyway. The person who gets them to do it is a corrupt government official. So is it a commentary on self serving, morally bankrupt official putting results before any human cost? But by torturing the man, he does give them what they need. So is that an endorsement of it? One of the medal requirements is to use all of the torture devices, which adds a whole other level of discomfort to it.

Overall I think why the scene seems so muddled and awkward is because R* wanted to do something on torture and had no idea how to fit it in, or it's there purely for shock value. It's pretty similar to the controversy around Zero Dark Thirty last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I haven't gotten there yet but they mentioned that in the IGN review. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it tops a couple of torture scenes in The Last of Us. Those we're pretty intense.
I think this is a case of context is everything. In Last of Us the tone is gritty and brutal, and Joel's capacity for violence increases as he get's more obsessed with Ellie. In GTA it's just a one off with no relation to the narrative.