View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #29
RDrules

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyEmberz View Post
My son is hooked on Terraria but no matter how much I watch/ask questions or try it I just don't see the appeal.
the appeal of terraria is more like that of a "normal" game than minecraft.

While terraria is often seen as a "2D minecraft" it isnt and doesnt appeal to the same exact people because while they both employ mining and crafting mechanics in a blocky world and are similar in style they use the mechanics very differently.

in minecraft the game is very much secondary to the creative aspect of it, very few people bother even playing the game througg more than once, most that you do is play survival so you have to mine and craft t do your building. Minecraft is almost entirely a creative platform with a game thrown into it.

terraria on the other hand isnt that creative but is very much a platformer, a pretty damn good one to, you progress through levels, fight bosses and work towards a proper defined ending goal that you want to reach, the mining and crafting serve as a progressions system more than a creative tool, building is the only real creative part to it and even that you are thinking practically at all times to house NPCs.

But that is its appeal, I play terraria because i want to finish terraria unlike minecraft which im currently playing because i want to build a pretty farm
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote