Ubisoft overestimate MP player base

Hurricane Of 87

Rushers get barely any points... You shouldn't be losing to them full stop.

Nah, they do (100 + bonuses. But it's even higher if they don't get noticed while running) and they balance the lower amount with an higher number of kills. Not to mention you usually end with your target killed by someone else if you take your time to score a perfect kill (both single and team based gametypes). It's all wrong.

Edited by bbss

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of people run around like idiots scoring low-point kills and still end up at the top of the lobby scoreboard.

The only way it's going to get fixed is if Ubi drastically reduces the amount of points for a base kill. There was a slight improvement when the ability to contest kills was added, but it's not enough.

The multiplayer is unbalanced in the favor of players that play the game improperly. It's been this way since Brotherhood. So no... it's obviously never going to be fixed.

Plenty of people run around like idiots scoring low-point kills and still end up at the top of the lobby scoreboard.

Really? What games have you been playing in? I actually never see this.

I frequently am at the top of the scoreboard with like 3 high quality kills while rushers are down at the bottom with 9. And Ubi improved and continues to improve the MP by adding in various things like, you mentioned above, the contesting of kills and, by far the best change yet, the ability to stun a pursuer after he/she has killed a civilian. This is often what a rusher does and you get the 100 point lure bonus and a free stun.

It's really all about the way you play. Rushers should not be at the top of the boards and I think the MP sees to that quite well.

If your "target" killed you, then he/she wasn't your target.

The problem with AC MP is that it has a HUGE learning curve. They even made tutorials for new players, but I guess that still isn't enough...

I thought the same thing, but Assassination lets you pick your target. He probably hadn't picked it, the other guy saw him staring at him with quiet rage and decided to help him with it... :woop:

But to those who can't play multiplayer (with exception to VerifyedRasta, legit problem), JUST BECAUSE IT'S ON A SECOND DISC: Seriously, be lazier. When you turn on the xbox, not that hard to just stick in another disc. If you want to play another game anyway, do you just sit on the couch and ignore that impulse, thinking "nah, I don't want to CHANGE DISCS".

What happens when you play a game that has two parts on two different discs? Do you just get part way through the story and then stop because you don't want to CHANGE DISCS?!

If I sound rediculous and wrong, that's fine. Everyone has their point of view, but this struck me as a little aggrivating.

Edited by Der Nacho
Sloppy, sloppy grammar...

But to those who can't play multiplayer (with exception to VerifyedRasta, legit problem), JUST BECAUSE IT'S ON A SECOND DISC: Seriously, be lazier. When you turn on the xbox, not that hard to just stick in another disc. If you want to play another game anyway, do you just sit on the couch and ignore that impulse, thinking "nah, I don't want to CHANGE DISCS".

What happens when you play a game that has two parts on two different discs? Do you just get part way through the story and then stop because you don't want to CHANGE DISCS?!

If I sound rediculous and wrong, that's fine. Everyone has their point of view, but this struck me as a little aggrivating.

You missed the point: it's just how it works. I guess nobody here complained about MP being on a second disc, we just noticed that the MP has low population due to that.

You're absolutely right about the stupidity of non-playing rather than switching a disc in the xbox. Still, it's what happens to the majority of people. On average, you can believe people will prefer to stay on disc 1 instead of "playing a couple games" of multi which would force them to swap disc two times. It's different from playing a game in two parts, cause you know you're not going back soon after.

Edited by bbss

You missed the point: it's just how it works. I guess nobody here complained about MP being on a second disc, we just noticed that the MP has low population due to that.

You're absolutely right about the stupidity of non-playing rather than switching a disc in the xbox. Still, it's what happens to the majority of people.

You're right, perhaps should have generalized it more. Or maybe we'll just say I was being proactive and stopping it before it started? Eh? Yeah I didn't think that would fly.

I do disagree with the fact that the event challenge was overestimated based on some not playing multiplayer just because some people have to change a disc. It's a hard multiplayer to play. Unless you are the ultimate "Assassin" for most players this is a hard mp to play. I know I have my trouble, and that's why I don't play it very often. YOU DIE A LOT. It gets frustrating. That's probably one of the major reasons why there isn't enough kills in the challenge. And probably because the menu sucks and they didn't see it/know about it. I know I forgot that it was this weekend. Not that I would've participated anyway...

If more of my friends play the multiplayer, It'd be one of the more reason to play it more. But hey that's not going to happen.

Well, other than that (which I agree, plus the sssloooow waiting times before respawning) I'd add the fact that you had to access the multiplayer section to realize there was an event incoming. Maybe they could have had a popup in the campaign one, knowing that players are mostly there.

Nah, they do (100 + bonuses. But it's even higher if they don't get noticed while running) and they balance the lower amount with an higher number of kills. Not to mention you usually end with your target killed by someone else if you take your time to score a perfect kill (both single and team based gametypes). It's all wrong.

100 + bonuses is not a lot, not when their kill bonus at most is discreet, which is I do believe 200 points less than an Incognito. The way it works out 1 'stealthy' kill is ATLEAST worth 2 noob kills.

Really, all your explanation has done is indicate that you don't play the MP that much and thus do not have the greatest understanding of it. I don't mean to sound condescending here, but i'm someone whom has been top rank in every AC: MP to date and continually tops the scoreboard with the lowest amount of kills (I think my win record on 3 is around 60% - I frequently play Team modes alone, which is obviously a lot harder to win). My experience of playing the multiplayer of 3 clocks in at around 15 hours... in those 15 hours i've been beaten by a 'runner' twice - I remember both times because it infuriated me so much. Thus I simply cannot agree with you at all.

The only way it's going to get fixed is if Ubi drastically reduces the amount of points for a base kill. There was a slight improvement when the ability to contest kills was added, but it's not enough.

The multiplayer is unbalanced in the favor of players that play the game improperly. It's been this way since Brotherhood. So no... it's obviously never going to be fixed.

That statement is akin to the numerous times on here someone claims their game is glitched when:

• they are attempting to finish the Hunting map - but missed out the Homestead
  • their delivery sync isn't going up, because you have to do all from 1 area
  • there is a chest missing, that is in a Tavern not displayed on the map
  • The QTE is glitched on Captain Kidd's last mission, because it's harder to do than running around in the Frontier
  • Washington's conversations aren't unlocking, when there are 2 to do in Sequence 9, Mission 2

Your complaint that the MP is broken is no different to all those up there ^, why? Because it's simply down to lack of experience to know otherwise. Anyone that spends a reasonable amount of time playing the multiplayer will tell you that runners do not win. The only time a runner will win a game is if it's an entire room filled with them, which somewhat stops you from pulling out huge numbers per kill (my record is 1500 points) or if the runner has been really, really lucky.

Most runners that are chasing you are simply free points... because they are so obvious that it is so easy to simply stun them.

Really, all your explanation has done is indicate that you don't play the MP that much and thus do not have the greatest understanding of it. I don't mean to sound condescending here, but i'm someone whom has been top rank in every AC: MP to date and continually tops the scoreboard with the lowest amount of kills (I think my win record on 3 is around 60% - I frequently play Team modes alone, which is obviously a lot harder to win). My experience of playing the multiplayer of 3 clocks in at around 15 hours... in those 15 hours i've been beaten by a 'runner' twice - I remember both times because it infuriated me so much. Thus I simply cannot agree with you at all.

Of course i don't - I still think it's broken since my rushers must be less rushers than yours (they just rush to the target and then stop 10 meters away, ability to spot, incognito kill. And this happens with team mates, too.). But whatever, as I said I just get those few achievements and then never come back on multi so my experience is not that high. Cheers!

The final straw for me was standing next to my intended target pounding the kill button for absolutely ages and nothing happened, target then turned round and stabbed me in the throat in one flawless move.

In this instance they were not your target but your purser, they are trying to kill you.

Never going to be fixed? It's only a problem if you are being too obvious so a rusher knows who you are... Rushers are by and large idiots, they will frequently go for the wrong target if there is a choice. If there isn't a choice then that's where you have gone wrong, not the game. Be less obvious = get killed less.

Someone understands how the MP works :woop:

Funny thing is when I played Deathmatch on Revelations and I ended up with noobs, I only use the default ability same as them. Just watching them running around (highlighting my purser), and I ended up with the least kills and came 1st.

Hated multiplayer with a passion largely due to im shit at it, but also because i don't find it fun.

I'm the same with shooters so know how you feel.

Reading these threads, I must be in the minority who is excited for the MP, I played a lot on Revelations (about 3 days game time I think). May have to go back to ubisoft forum for chats about MP.

Xmas couldn't come quicker enough as the first thing I will be doing when I get the game is playing MP, I noticed this also with 2 friends on my list who I played Revelations with.

This disc 2, if there was one disc, people would moan that SP content was small to make room for MP - can't win.

Edited by cjdavies

100 + bonuses is not a lot, not when their kill bonus at most is discreet, which is I do believe 200 points less than an Incognito. The way it works out 1 'stealthy' kill is ATLEAST worth 2 noob kills.

That statement is akin to the numerous times on here someone claims their game is glitched when:

• they are attempting to finish the Hunting map - but missed out the Homestead
  • their delivery sync isn't going up, because you have to do all from 1 area
  • there is a chest missing, that is in a Tavern not displayed on the map
  • The QTE is glitched on Captain Kidd's last mission, because it's harder to do than running around in the Frontier
  • Washington's conversations aren't unlocking, when there are 2 to do in Sequence 9, Mission 2

Your complaint that the MP is broken is no different to all those up there ^, why? Because it's simply down to lack of experience to know otherwise. Anyone that spends a reasonable amount of time playing the multiplayer will tell you that runners do not win. The only time a runner will win a game is if it's an entire room filled with them, which somewhat stops you from pulling out huge numbers per kill (my record is 1500 points) or if the runner has been really, really lucky.

Most runners that are chasing you are simply free points... because they are so obvious that it is so easy to simply stun them.

How is complaining about score balancing the same as complaining about non-existent glitches?

And I don't need anyone lecturing me about not understanding the game, thanks. I've put over 30 hours into AC multiplayer over the course of three games. I understand how the game works well enough to tell you that it's too easy to sprint around the map getting points in the 100 - 400 point range and end up at the top of the scoreboard. I've observed it plenty of times... I've even done it on several occasions. But considering the fact that not only is the game not meant to be played that way, but it's not very fun, I opted out of that tactic.

How is complaining about score balancing the same as complaining about non-existent glitches? [1]

And I don't need anyone lecturing me about not understanding the game, thanks. I've put over 30 hours into AC multiplayer over the course of three games. I understand how the game works well enough to tell you that it's too easy to sprint around the map getting points in the 100 - 400 point range and end up at the top of the scoreboard. [2]I've observed it plenty of times... I've even done it on several occasions. But considering the fact that not only is the game not meant to be played that way, but it's not very fun, I opted out of that tactic.

[1] Because the score balancing is perfectly fine, and complaining about it simply comes from not having a firm enough grasp of it, just like how people complain about things being glitched because they haven't grasped what you have to do. Anyone that does have a firm enough grasp of it simply would not be losing to runners.

[2] And I understand the game well enough to tell you that's simply not the case. If that works in rooms that you play in that's simply because the level of the player in that room is bad enough for a bad player (read: runner) to manage to win. Good players will prevail over that type of gameplay, pure and simple. Both myself and the other guy who has posted in here who is also a fan of the MP have said exactly the same thing in that regard.

[1] Because the score balancing is perfectly fine, and complaining about it simply comes from not having a firm enough grasp of it, just like how people complain about things being glitched because they haven't grasped what you have to do. Anyone that does have a firm enough grasp of it simply would not be losing to runners.

[2] And I understand the game well enough to tell you that's simply not the case. If that works in rooms that you play in that's simply because the level of the player in that room is bad enough for a bad player (read: runner) to manage to win. Good players will prevail over that type of gameplay, pure and simple. Both myself and the other guy who has posted in here who is also a fan of the MP have said exactly the same thing in that regard.

And you're both outvoted. Everyone I've ever spoken to has agreed with me on the multiplayer. And considering the millions of sales the series has, and the abysmal numbers of players online, I'm sure there are plenty more who share the sentiment.

You can try to claim that you know more about the game or whatever, I honestly couldn't care less. I've personally seen games that directly contradict your argument. The general consensus, as proven by this thread, is that a large percentage of players only touch the MP for achievements anyway. If you like it, good for you. But the majority isn't wrong just because you want to believe they are.

I won't argue on this anymore.

Sounds like most of you are just matched badly. Sure I've had few rushers on my team, that pretty much are the reason for losing on other bonuses, that could otherwise win entire game, but only happen upon one of those every 5 games or so.

Not often enough to ruin the experience or make me forget the way this is meant to be played. Like an assassin=D Feel free to add me if you want to play AC online. I only have one friend I play it online with and mostly I am alone=P

It's a unique MP so I'm glad they've stuck with it, just hope they'd do something about those damn smoke bombs

Wipe and Animus Shield are both good defenses against smoke bombs.

And you're both outvoted. Everyone I've ever spoken to has agreed with me on the multiplayer. And considering the millions of sales the series has, and the abysmal numbers of players online, I'm sure there are plenty more who share the sentiment.

You can try to claim that you know more about the game or whatever, I honestly couldn't care less. I've personally seen games that directly contradict your argument.

I don't know what games you're playing. Not that I never, ever, run, but my average score kill score in Revelations was something like 600, and I consistently placed in the top three (usually #1) when I played. Not only does constant running make it a lot easier for the target to stun them, but even if you have no way of defending yourself you can still get an honorable death and get almost as many points as the runner that killed you. Sometimes you've got to run to get a kill if your target knows what they're doing, but I'll never agree that it's a consistent way to win.

All that said, they really shouldn't have restricted the first event to team games. I loves me some Wanted, so half of what I did over the weekend didn't count.

Edited by Scnew

You can try to claim that you know more about the game or whatever, I honestly couldn't care less. I've personally seen games that directly contradict your argument. The general consensus, as proven by this thread, is that a large percentage of players only touch the MP for achievements anyway. If you like it, good for you. But the majority isn't wrong just because you want to believe they are.

I won't argue on this anymore.

The majority? In this thread so far 2 people (including yourself) have said that the scoring is broken allowing runners to win. 1 of those people acknowledged that his opinion comes from a pretty limited amount of experience on the game, which is fair enough.

In contrast, 5 people now have entered this thread and completely disagreed that the scoring is broken and that runners win.

PS:This discussion was never about whether the multiplayer is good or whether people like it... that's just personal opinion, lots won't like it, some will. This discussion is about your claims that the game is broken, which is up for discussion because that's saying that the game doesn't work as it should when anyone that ever spends time playing it will tell you otherwise.

I'm not trying to change your mind into liking the game, or anyone's for that matter, that's completely irrelevant to me. What I will do is debate something that I see as factually incorrect.

Hated multiplayer with a passion largely due to im shit at it, but also because i don't find it fun.

This guy and I have the same brain, clearly.

I am so incredibly bad at the multiplayer that I don't think I can scold it; if only because I don't get to experience it correctly.

The MP is horrible, it always has been horrible, and anyone who enjoys it is a masochist.

Obviously, just my opinion... by my opinions are facts, in my opinion. :p

Anywho, to clear up something... the MP in AC has never been created by the team that does the SP. It's two different teams sharing various assets to create what is largely, two different games. Though I am of the opinion that MP in Assassin's Creed was and always will be a stupid idea. But to say that they "should have spent more time on SP instead of MP" is a baseless assumption. The fact is, there were a lot of things done with Assassin's Creed 3 that were very new ideas... a lot of work went into this game. I agree it has (a lot) of flaws, but a lot of those flaws are being fixed with this week's patch as well, so at least Ubi is readily supporting the game.

And why should the achievements for multiplayer be harder? I was happy that there were only four and that I was able to earn them all with 4 total hours of gameplay with a friend playing Wolf Pack. We were also lucky enough to win the only game of Manhunt that we played. Neither of us have touched the MP since. I don't have much of a problem with the Wolf Pack. In fact, I think that mode is the only logical mode that should have ever been implemented into AC. Maybe by now, it would have had more features and been a little more interesting.

I totally agree...therefore, it is indeed fact. Wolfpack is fun. Other modes...not so much.

I can understand a need for balance, but let's be real: On MP, you all play as ASSASSIN'S. And the best you can do to rid your pursuer is slap them in the face? Give me a fucking break.

I totally agree...therefore, it is indeed fact. Wolfpack is fun. Other modes...not so much.

I can understand a need for balance, but let's be real: On MP, you all play as ASSASSIN'S. And the best you can do to rid your pursuer is slap them in the face? Give me a fucking break.

I don't know if it's in this game but there is also Lure using a Decoy, a Bodygurd.

Do they have Deathmatch mode?

Like you said: Need for balance.

It would make more sense for you to simply kill someone who is trying to kill you, but with latency and other issues, it'd be a mess.

in those 15 hours i've been beaten by a 'runner' twice - I remember both times because it infuriated me so much. Thus I simply cannot agree with you at all.

The only time a runner will win a game is if it's an entire room filled with them, which somewhat stops you from pulling out huge numbers per kill (my record is 1500 points) or if the runner has been really, really lucky.

You are saying that it never happens and anyone it happens to just doesn't understand the game but then you go onto say that not only is it possible but it has happened to you as well?

I'm sorry but when by the time I have stalked my target and gotten in close enough for a high point kill(800-900) either my target will be killed by a runner of someone else has already scored 3-4 lower number kills.

Not every runner kill is 100 and 4 kills at 250 trumps my 1 kill at 900.

It is all well and good that you have very infrequently come into lobbies where it happens but it DOES happen. Way to often.

The majority? In this thread so far 2 people (including yourself) have said that the scoring is broken allowing runners to win. 1 of those people acknowledged that his opinion comes from a pretty limited amount of experience on the game, which is fair enough.

You really need to count. So far, since this part of the discussion started, there have been 2 people who say that it is fine and 4(if you include the guy who hasn't played much) who say it it broken.

Plus one in the middle who says it happens every few games but it doesn't bother him too much.

That sir, is a majority.

Edited by Lord Arkhan

You are saying that it never happens and anyone it happens to just doesn't understand the game but then you go onto say that not only is it possible but it has happened to you as well?

I'm sorry but when by the time I have stalked my target and gotten in close enough for a high point kill(800-900) either my target will be killed by a runner of someone else has already scored 3-4 lower number kills.

It is all well and good that you have very infrequently come into lobbies where it happens but it DOES happen. Way to often.

I never said it never happens. My exact statement was:

That is not saying that it doesn't ever happen, that is saying that it shouldn't. There are always going to be anomalies when someone breaks the trend, as evidenced by me stating that i've lost to a runner 2 times in 15 hours. Sometimes they just get lucky.

Equally, yes, i'm sure it does happen that runners end up winning games. A bad player can always win, but a good player simply won't let it happen often at all. That's balanced to me.

Furthermore.. 4 rushed kills in the period you get 1 kill? That does not sound right to me at all, and I tend to win games where second place has around 4/5 more kills than me, simply because there are more ways to get points than simply getting kills. You get a fair amount of points defending and thus should be able to rack up a fair few stuns and lures considering runners are so obvious.

You really need to count. So far, since this part of the discussion started, there have been 2 people who say that it is fine and 4(if you include the guy who hasn't played much) who say it it broken.

Plus one in the middle who says it happens every few games but it doesn't bother him too much.

That sir, is a majority.

My mistake on the 4 that say it's problem, I hadn't exactly gone back through the thread to doublecheck and thus had forgotten the 1 that had posted once on the first page whom hasn't been involved in the conversation. Equally, it's now only 4 with you included: you, bbss (who acknowledged that he isn't exactly that experienced in order to make a good judgement), Skillet and Quid Squid.

More than 2 say that the scoring is fine. Myself, Verifyed Rasta, cjdavies, ViNyLek, Scnew so it would appear your maths is as bad as mine.

3 people to 5. That sir, is not a majority.

That sir, is a majority.

I disagree, if you know what your doing you can easily dominate the runners. I've had many a game where other players would have 10~ kills and I beat them with 3 total kills. Kill streaks are amazing for getting points.