What's so wrong with swastikas in the emblem editor?

Hoborg

I really think this deserves to be brought up. I don't understand why there is this comparatively unfounded hysteria regarding Nazi Germany.

Why is it perfectly okay for someone to make an emblem of the Soviet union when they were responsible for over 90 million deaths (mostly civilians) in the 20th century. The Nazis never came close to that, they killed about 10 million.

Setting that aside for one second, let's compare the difference between the Shutzstaffel (SS) and the Nazi emblem. The SS emblem as you know is the typical two S letters put close together resembling lightning bolts. In contrast, the Nazi flag is not a military symbol, it's political representing Germany as a country in that particular period of history.

I'm a little bit out of the loop here but is the SS symbol banned too? If so why? The SS were a special branch of the military personally responsible for Hitler's safety and some of the most skilled fighters in the second world war. As far as I know, all other military symbols (though perhaps not as recognizable) are allowed in the editor. This is hypocritical. The SS and the Nazi's from a historic point of view has generated tons of profits for Activision because it is the very foundation of their product.

Doesn't it seem strange to you that they would ban users from creating such historic emblems when they are allowed to play members of this faction in the older games in multiplayer?

Further, the Nazi swastika is the only political flag that is banned in the editor. I've seen a bunch of Confederate flags, I don't think there is a policy for banning those which would be highly offensive to blacks.

Also I don't buy the argument that it is per se offensive. That is hypocritical. Just look at the facts; 10 million people killed, a majority Russians and Jews vs nearly 100 million people killed. People need to be more rational. The communist flags ought to be more offensive because those factions have done way more harm to humanity than the Nazi's could ever dream of.

Please discuss and keep it civil.

What the real question should be is why would anybody want an emblem of a swastika?

i don't agree with hysterical banning or reporting of penises or vaginas or gruesome pictures...BUT emblems of such historical tragedy and humanity at its lowest shouldn't be glorified in a game...world at war had them in as it was obviously a story about the german/russian battle and when they are used to depict history i never have objections, education is vital.....but why would a person like you or me have one as our player emblems other than to provoke reactions and cause anger?

i do see your point about the soviet symbol and i guess it could be a lack of education that people don't realize Stalin probably was more of a monster than Hitler, but when all is said and done the Nazis openly hated the Jews and nearly wiped them out of extinction and that is exactly why the symbol of the nazi party causes such controversy.

This is a most interesting topic as I firmly agree with the OP on the basis of allowing a swastika in its most basic form.

Take for example the American flag. In countries now if you are to adorn, promote, or even possess an American flag it could be seen as the ultimate form of disrespect to your country, your government, or your own countrymen and women.

If you truly wanted to expand the argument look at what Mao did under the Chinese flag and the arguably hundreds of millions that died there.

My philosophy is this. If you take the original swastika without the coloring, and the unique design aspects added by the Nazis there is no harm/no foul in it. But to want to proudly adorn one because you believe it violates your own freedoms is foolish and disrespectful to the millions that died under it.

I can see why people have a problem with others having emblems and stuff like this but its just a picture. I don't see why any one would go out of their way to report the person or message them as you just allowed it to effect you for that short period of time. You should just look at it and be like oh go you and then look away.

I'm pretty sure you just justified that Nazi Germany killed 10 million people due to the fact that the USSR killed 9 times more. Regardless of your opinion (which you are entitled to thanks to the outcome of world war II *wink*) the emblems are offensive to enough people that they are banned.

I also know that the majority of emblems that are offensive are created by people that require attention. Don't let it ruin your fun! :-)

Sorry? You are saying a swastika is ok because they didn't kill as many MILLION people? Are you joking? Besides, your figures are massively incorrect. The Nazis killed over 7 million Soviet soldiers alone, let alone American, British, French etc. and that's before you get into the civilian millions of Jews, Gypsies, mentally ill, homosexuals and political opponents. Personally, if someone wants it as their emblem, let them, I'll just laugh harder when I kill them. The whole emblem thing is just a license to be offensive, be it Nazi, Soviet, IRA or any other group of dafties. To say the level of offensiveness is connected to amount of deaths is pretty dumb.

This is an interesting question.

One with an Infinitely less interesting and ultimately extremely annoying answer:

Extreme Liberals and Political Correctness.

We Live in a Society and Culture(Especially in America) where doing or saying anything that any random person might find offensive is shunned and outlawed. We live in a society where people TRY to get offended by something. They go around looking for things to be offended by.

You can't have a Different opinion about something in the world today, and especially you can't voice your opinion without being considered a bigot, racist, sexist, etc. . .

Political Correctness is the problem, however only part of it. Ignorant, uneducated people who know next to nothing about history are also a part of the problem. Not saying I condone or agree with what happened under the Swastika in World War 2 of course, but I agree that it shouldn't be banned.

Edited by ZingZitang

My philosophy is this. If you take the original swastika without the coloring, and the unique design aspects added by the Nazis there is no harm/no foul in it. But to want to proudly adorn one because you believe it violates your own freedoms is foolish and disrespectful to the millions that died under it.

This, I like the swastika for what it was before it was used in Nazi symbolism, as such I have nothing against the general use of it, but brandishing it upon the red and white background is where it becomes disrespectful.

As for all the communism...well, that's a dark topic that can only go downhill, there's really no point in trying to bring that up...

I can see why people have a problem with others having emblems and stuff like this but its just a picture. I don't see why any one would go out of their way to report the person or message them as you just allowed it to effect you for that short period of time. You should just look at it and be like oh go you and then look away.

With Treyarch actually policing their report system now, I will happily take those 3 seconds to press a button a couple of times, the emblem editor is there for you to express your creativity or your adoration of something you love, not to deliberately try and piss off millions of people

I don't understand why there is this comparatively unfounded hysteria regarding Nazi Germany.

Most people don't make the swastika for historical reasons. They make it because they're immature. str8giGGin has already proven this.

You are saying a swastika is ok because they didn't kill as many MILLION people?

That's not at all what he said or what he implied. He's pointing out the hypocrisy. He explicitly said it. You don't even need to infer anything.

Swastikas are perfectly fine, as previously mentioned swastikas have been around far longer than the Nazi party. It's when idiots rotate the swastika into the angle that the Nazi flag had, that's when it comes a disgusting thing to do.

so basically, C***'s are ok as they are natural and have been around for millions of years, its only when people make an emblem of one bumming an arse it becomes unacceptable? don't mean to sound like an arse but this thread is really upsetting, the swastika is commonly placed with the Nazi's and Hitler therefore its offensive, really says a lot about people when they choose to have racist sick things as an emblem, i love the emblem creator in black ops as there are so many decent emblems that people make, but im afraid that one day itl be removed due to idiots that make offensive emblems :mad:

Edited by MR MOO 69

so basically, C***'s are ok as they are natural and have been around for millions of years, its only when people make an emblem of one bumming an arse it becomes unacceptable? don't mean to sound like an arse but this thread is really upsetting, the swastika is commonly placed with the Nazi's and Hitler therefore its offensive, really says a lot about people when they choose to have racist sick things as an emblem, i love the emblem creator in black ops as there are so many decent emblems that people make, but im afraid that one day itl be removed due to idiots they make offensive emblems :mad:

That's not what he implied at all. The original Swastika dates back way before the Nazis were ever dreamed of. If I see someone with this Swastika, chances are I wont report them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/HinduSwastika.svg/150px-HinduSwastika.svg.png

If, however, they're using the Nazi design, then yes, they should be reported. Just because Hitler decided to use it, does not mean that all people using it are doing so to be disrespectful pieces of shit.

I really think this deserves to be brought up. I don't understand why there is this comparatively unfounded hysteria regarding Nazi Germany.

Why is it perfectly okay for someone to make an emblem of the Soviet union when they were responsible for over 90 million deaths (mostly civilians) in the 20th century. The Nazis never came close to that, they killed about 10 million.

Setting that aside for one second, let's compare the difference between the Shutzstaffel (SS) and the Nazi emblem. The SS emblem as you know is the typical two S letters put close together resembling lightning bolts. In contrast, the Nazi flag is not a military symbol, it's political representing Germany as a country in that particular period of history.

I'm a little bit out of the loop here but is the SS symbol banned too? If so why? The SS were a special branch of the military personally responsible for Hitler's safety and some of the most skilled fighters in the second world war. As far as I know, all other military symbols (though perhaps not as recognizable) are allowed in the editor. This is hypocritical. The SS and the Nazi's from a historic point of view has generated tons of profits for Activision because it is the very foundation of their product.

Doesn't it seem strange to you that they would ban users from creating such historic emblems when they are allowed to play members of this faction in the older games in multiplayer?

Further, the Nazi swastika is the only political flag that is banned in the editor. I've seen a bunch of Confederate flags, I don't think there is a policy for banning those which would be highly offensive to blacks.

Also I don't buy the argument that it is per se offensive. That is hypocritical. Just look at the facts; 10 million people killed, a majority Russians and Jews vs nearly 100 million people killed. People need to be more rational. The communist flags ought to be more offensive because those factions have done way more harm to humanity than the Nazi's could ever dream of.

the difference is the impact that the nazi flag had on the rest of the world. i have german friends who want nothing more than to forget that period in time ever happend. the fact there are immature ppl out there who think its amussing or do not understand the symbol on the flag due to ignorance amazes me. if and i find such an emblem you can be assured its reported there and then.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/HinduSwastika.svg/150px-HinduSwastika.svg.png

Looks a hell of a lot different than the ones the Germans used.

Doesn't matter though... they'll do anything to save face. If it makes a lot of people uncomfortable, they'll do it. Which reminds me....what did they do with that MW2 map with the islam phrase in the bathroom

i think it looks cool. and theres no harm in that

back in a school day i drew a picture in the back of my school book of a war, the british flag on the left, and the nazi flag on the right, and it was basically a crime just drawing it on a piece of paper.

if swastika isnt allowed in the emblem editor, why is it allowed to be on the teleporters on der riese and on all of the zombies in kino der toten and nacht der untoten

This is because the Swastika drawn as it was by Nazi Germany is a modern symbol of not only hate, but as the symbol representing the group that caused mass murder because of this hate. You compared it to the Confederate flag. IMO! The Confederate flag isn't as offensive because, while ruled by only hate, but also a political reason. They were trying to break away from the Union to have their own political freedom to do as they please. Nazi Germany basically killed people just out of hate.

Can't say much about the USSR symbol as I have less knowledge about it. But again, the USSR did it not out of hate but political reasons. Germany didn't have to cause the Holocaust. It didn't benefit them politically.

Counter arguement to those who say they shouldn't be banned in emblem editor. By putting that as your emblem, you are using the swastika to either A) Be used as a symbol to represent yourself or B) Give your support to the people who caused the Holocaust. You can't say "remove them from the game overall then" because in the case mentioned above with Der Riese, It's used to show that this is Nazi Germany's work! Not to show support to their cause.

@KFZ Scrubs: I have no idea. I loaded up Favela recently and the portraits in question are still there.

Edited by Ceris