Banjo-Threeie

Walecs360

I think the OP means a TRUE sequel. While Nuts & Bolts may have been the 3rd console game with BK, it actually didn't start out as apart of the franchise at all. Rare decided their game idea would sell better if it had familiar faces in it, and they were right. A follow up in the vein of the N64 classics is what the fans really want though. What really boggles me is why they haven't made more sequels to any of their franchises. Killer Instinct, Battle Toads, Jet Force Gemini? Why would M$ want to aquire Rare unless they were going to bring heavy exclusives? Surely not just to program the stupid XBL Avatars. Even PDZ wasn't so bad that it didn't deserve a sequel at some point.

I think the OP means a TRUE sequel. While Nuts & Bolts may have been the 3rd console game with BK, it actually didn't start out as apart of the franchise at all. Rare decided their game idea would sell better if it had familiar faces in it, and they were right.
I thought it started as a Banjo game, but vehicles were added because the worlds were too big, then customization was added, and then it just became Nuts & Bolts as we know it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I thought it started as a Banjo game, but vehicles were added because the worlds were too big, then customization was added, and then it just became Nuts & Bolts as we know it.

Greg Mayles (Creavite Director at Rare / Creator of BK) was quoted as saying the game started as a traditional 3D platformer with some vehicles for level specific jigges. The most detail he ever went into was that "it just didn't work in this day and age"

He made this comment in 2007, and incidentally, a few weeks after Super Mario Galaxy came out. So it's always struck me as a mind numbingly stupid thing to say. But there you have it, BK's creator said platformers "don't work" anymore :rolleyes:

So I don't know what that means for the series, or Rare even.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I still (probably foolishly) believe that a Banjo-Threeie will be made. Grunty said so after I ended her!

Just like how after you hit Gobi's back for the final time in Click Clock Wood in the first game and he says he's going to the lava world and you see him in Hail Fire peaks in Tooie, I believe Grunty foreshadowed the release of a sequel.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I think Rare may come back to Banjo as Killer Instinct was brought back from a long lost time of Rare's before MS history

It's more possible now than ever. When MS was trying to convince everyone that Kinect was awesome, they made Rare their pseudo-in-house developer for all of the generic Rare titles. But since they've stopped all of that silliness they're handing a little bit more creative control back to Rare, it seems.