No Co-Op? No sale!

slayer3100

I was so hyped for this game, played it a few months back at GameFest and me and my 3 friends all thought how awesome it would be to team up and slay majestic beasts as a group, but no. Once again Capcom just lets me down, just like with the poor HD addition to DMC, the lack of Monster Hunter in the west and the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3.

This is made even more disappointing by the fact that they make really good Co-Op games (Monster Hunter, Lost Planet 2). I should just stop expecting so much from them i guess.

That being said i will probably pick this up for £15 pre-owned as i still looks like a good game, just don't feel the hype that i did when i thought it would be Co-Op.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm the opposite entirely. If this had co-op id wait till it was cheap but as a single player game ill pick it up day one. Games like this never seem to balance right in co-op. I think for them to work they need to have a dedicated team behind them that has a clear end goal, not jst a last minute addition.

To be completely honest, I'm pretty bummed about the Coop exclusion myself. :( (Probably gonna wait a few months before I buy it now.)

Oh and, I don't think the Resi 6 beta justifies $45+; but hey it's your money... not mine. ;D

Co-op in this game would make a lot of sense. All they would have to do is sub out your customer created follower with a friend and boom, there is all your balance issues resolved. I dunno though, the game still looks cool to play alone too.

The truth is an AI teammate does NOT equal a real player. If the game is set up for AI teammates, adding real players to your team will make the game far too easy....and setting the difficulty for a team of 3 or 4 real players would make it frustratingly difficult when you're alone and using AI partners.

A game like this designed from the ground up for co-op would be great though...assuming you always have someone around to play with.

No Co-op? Awesome! Definately picking this game up now. At least I know now that I will have a game made and designed for an awesome single player campaign experience and not tailored or balanced for a co-op experience that would proabably of been thrown in as a last ditch effort to satisfy others.

Finally. Yes!! I agree! Enough with friggin' multiplayer and co-op already! I can count on 2 hands how many multiplayer games are still supported and people PLAY on the 360, and about the same goes for co-op. Quit taking up disc space for co-op and multiplayer and give me an AWESOME well rounded quality single player!! I socialize enough as it is teaching and being a student, I don't need it forced on me. Thank you!!

I'm confused with this "finally!" stuff... aparently there's too many co-op games? I guess dragon age was... wait no, single player. But skyrim... no, that was a failed, fan-made patch on pc only. Ah, but the witcher... wait.

I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong here, but ive been looking for an RPG, that utilizes the usual RPG elements like leveling, teamwork, strategy(i.e. NOT FABLE) amd havent fount a single game yet. I dont play on PC so MMO's don't count. Maybe theyre out there, and ive just missed them? By all means tell me i'm wrong, and show me all these wonderfull co-op rpg games I aparently have been blind to, because I'm not seeing them.

Single player games, that pay the due respect to such, are always better in my opinion. I dont play call of duty, or really any game that caters to online over story. That being said, i logged more hours in Resident Evil 5 than every other RE title combined, despite it being one of the weakest in the series, soely because i could play it with my friends.

There are alot of co-p games out there, and last i checked, most are shooters or 10$ indie games. This was looking to be the first, real quality RPG that would include co-op. They didnt loose a sale in me, but there's too many games for me to afford as is, so likely a christmas gift, or a next year purchase sadly.

@Jerric - Just throwing this out there, but you don't need a PC to play an MMO anyways. There are 2 options on the Xbox 360 and "possibly" another in the works. You have Phantasy Star Universe and Final Fantasy XI Online out at the moment, and there 'are' co-op RPGs out there, if you're willing to be open-minded. You've got Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, which is a vastly under-rated classic co-op RPG, up to 4? players per lobby. Dungeon Siege 3, which isn't as polished as it's PC counterparts, but it still makes for a fun and challenging RPG experience. Then you've got Two Worlds 2's multiplayer. I'm not going to sweet talk you in to buying this game, because the general concensus for this series is.....well, that it sucks. I enjoyed the multiplayer for TW2, though.

Then you've got the arcade games to check out. Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale is a decent little co-op RPG (4 players). There are some bugs that were never patched. Some game breaking for certain characters, some might say, but I still enjoyed it. Then you've got Dungeon Defenders, which is a RPG and tower defense hybrid, but still 'highly' fun and addictive when playing with friends. Then there's Castle Crashers. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an RPG, persay, but it's got RPG elements and is one of the most enjoyable XBLA co-op experiences to date. Then there's Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. If you can deal with the grid-based combat, it's a very unique game on the Xbox 360. Then there's Crimson Alliance. Another "decent" dungeon crawling co-op RPG.

And if you're 'really' open-minded, you might want to check out Dead Island. It's one of the most addictive co-op games I've ever played. At it's core, it 'is' a zombie survival game, but it has so many addictive RPG elements that you sometimes forget that you're actually playing an action game. And then there's Guild Wars 2, which "might" come out for the 360. It's an MMO, but if it follows suit to it's predecessor, you just buy the game and aren't subjected to a monthly fee.

So don't say there aren't "any" co-op RPGs, because I just listed all the ones I've played and enjoyed for you. You can't expect the big name RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and The Witcher to go co-op. They're great at what they do and I, personally, would never want them to change the mechanics that make their games so wonderful.

And I completely forgot about this game, as it was even too challenging for me, but Dark Souls is 4-player co-op, aswell. It may be a little easier with friends, but that's one RPG I wouldn't dare tackle solo.

Edited by ConfederateSuga

And that pretty much says it all I think. The majority of what you listed i have tried, but for the most part, cant even be compared. I get why online games get annoying when you can't find good people, and half-assed AI further that stigma. On the other hand, single player games usually better refine their AI because it's what you'll be relying on. Why it has to be one or the other is what confuses me.

This game seems great, and the more i play the demo the more i love it. I think the feeling of "missed opportunity" is what bums me out.

If you want a better online feature, just be sure to buy the game on its launch day to help boost sales, and hope that Capcom makes this a new franchise and makes a quality second title WITH more online components :woop:

I'm doing my part! Day one purchase for me :D

Edited by Baddluckinc

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand people who bitch about singleplayer rpgs that don't have coop. Get over yourself honestly. If you want coop go play an mmo with some friends. I play singleplayer rpgs BY MYSELF to enjoy it BY MYSELF and not have to deal with other idiots.

Anyways, this game looks amazing and I cannot wait. The demo was very fun and the more I see about the game the more excited I get. It's not MH but its damn close enough.

I can't stand people who bitch about singleplayer rpgs that don't have coop. Get over yourself honestly. If you want coop go play an mmo with some friends. I play singleplayer rpgs BY MYSELF to enjoy it BY MYSELF and not have to deal with other idiots.

Anyways, this game looks amazing and I cannot wait. The demo was very fun and the more I see about the game the more excited I get. It's not MH but its damn close enough.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly except I haven't played the demo but it will be a day one pick up for myself more so because it doesn't have co-op. I'm sick of every game having a co-op option because there are many of us out there that prefer single player rpgs

I have a feeling that the sequel will feature at least two-player co-op (think about it; you and your pawn, a friend and their pawn, it just works!) but the fact of the matter is that the feature needs to be worked out at the start of the process, rather than later. The experience needs to please both groups; the game should feel full and fun even if you play offline, and it shouldn't have co-op just because there are three slots in your party that could be filled by players instead of AI.

As it stands, the game is kind of an experiment; Lost Planet still hasn't gotten much hold in America, and I've got a feeling that Dragon's Dogma will hit a similar niche situation...Personally I hope that Dragon's Dogma receives more mainstream success.

I guess if you want your voice heard, the best way to do it is to respond to articles and post on the forums at Capcom Unity; I know their community managers pay quite a bit of attention to fighting game threads there.

I agree that the game feels like it should be co-op out of the box, but I don't think it's less of a game for not featuring it. Again, play the game, tell Capcom if you like it, and tell them that you want more and better from this new franchise; any great developer will tell you that it's not just the studio, but the community's assistance that helps games improve.

Edited by Taiyz

I love co-op games, but not so much co-op in RPGs. I want to the be most bad ass character in the game. I want to be the one who can take down a horde of monsters or a dragon alone. I don't need some co-op partner swooping in and taking all the glory for himself. Especially since it's an RPG and you need the experience points to grow so if your partner is murdering everything, what are you really gaining? Sure there are pawns in the game and they can just as easily take that last gratifying hit on the chimera you took minutes to take down, but at least you can control the pawns. So if some one like me wants to show off and make the unwise decision to take on a griffin by himself, I can just make the pawns wait somewhere while I take on the beast alone.