Official Dexter Thread *SPOILERS*

SynysterChris

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dexter's face when he saw the finger stew, was hilarious.

Yea I thought it was kind of weird that he was disgusted to see that finger given who he is and what he does, but I think it was more that he was disgusted that he was a cannibal rather than him being a serial killer.

Being a fan of Dexter since the beginning, it'll be weird to know that there won't be anymore episodes of Dexter after this season, but I think it's for the best. The show went a bit downhill after season 5, and it only started getting better last season. I'm curious to see how this series ends, but it'll be a bittersweet feeling for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of glad that this is the final season, the quality has dropped a lot since the days of seasons 1-4. I'm really not enjoying the whole Jamie/Quinn/Angel story but I suppose I am interested in the multiple serial killers potentially killing each other.

Although I may just be feeling this way because I watched last week's Breaking Bad just before Dexter.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's going to turn out that Dr. Vogel is the brain surgeon killer and she's going to kill Dexter and Hannah.

Well...

spoilers for the last episode if you haven't seen it.

[spoiler=dkfjlsjdkf]

The Brain Surgeon (TBS/BSK, just DO NOT SAY TBK, so stupid that some people used that name) is actually Oliver Saxon aka Daniel Vogel, who happens to be Evelyn Vogel's eldest son she thought perished years ago at a psychiatric hospital. In reality, he faked his own death to escape the hospital killing 7 children in the process.

Saxon is Cassie Jollenston's "boyfriend", the chick who was beaten to death at the end of episode 7...just in case you weren't sure who that was. Next week's promo shows how he is...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzz1-AmVA4]Dexter Season 8 Episode 10 Promo - "Goodbye Miami" (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Even deeper spoilers if you don't want to know what happens near the end, do NOT click on this following link if you don't want to know what happened.

[spoiler=fdkjadlskfjdfslkajdf]

Next episode, apparently it's Vogel herself who is killed by Saxon...and then Debra is killed in the 11th episode. These are the spoilers that have been floating around for awhile now, with Dexter entering a "Jack Bauer" rage as he goes on a killing spree in the finale. Whether or not these are true is uncertain, though someone does die next episode and based on Dexter's reaction, it's either Vogel or Debra.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking Saxon, probably my favorite antagonist Biney and Isaak a close second. All the rest are fantastic too...this series really does have a great lot of antagonists but Saxon man...even Dexter himself admits that he's not the "perfect psychopath" he used to be. We could go and blame it on Hannah but it's been this way for a long time now...and honestly, I think Saxon's better than Dexter at his best.

Unfortunately, the season's been trying to focus more on this Hannah bullshit. Anyways...2 more episodes left. Hoping things end well...I'd honestly like for Saxon to get away I mean does Dexter ALWAYS have to get the bad guy? Trinity should have gotten away in Season 4...and Brian in Season 1.

http://images.wikia.com/dexter/images/8/8d/SaxonvsDexter.png

(compiled from tonight's promo for the last two episodes).

I've just got to say Darri is a fantastic actor who can really use his facial muscles to express the necessary emotions. A lot of actors look kind of dull in serious situations but he's constantly looking different. You can say what you want about this season but if there's just one good thing to come from it, it's gotta be Saxon (for me at least). Also lololol to Harrison's idjit activities tonight.

Edited by TVthePunisher

I've just got to say Darri is a fantastic actor who can really use his facial muscles to express the necessary emotions. A lot of actors look kind of dull in serious situations but he's constantly looking different. You can say what you want about this season but if there's just one good thing to come from it, it's gotta be Saxon (for me at least). Also lololol to Harrison's idjit activities tonight.

Yeah that scene with Harrison's son was really dumb. I feel like scenes like that (where he gets injured forcing Hannah to put herself out in public) and the one where the deputy Marshall just conveniently walks into Batista's room right when he's talking about Dexter's departure show that the writers have gotten lazy in coming up with ways to build up the tension.

There are alot of things in this season that simply feel rushed, and that's probably due to the fact that this is the final season of the series. That being said, it's weird that they waited so long to introduce Daniel as the main antagonist when they know they only have a few episodes left to introduce him and build his character up. It's especially disappointing since I think the actor does a great job with his facial expressions and emotions as a serial killer.

Along with that, they keep doing the same thing they've done with all these other characters we don't really care about (which was especially true the last couple of seasons); they keep putting them in these storylines that are just there simply to fill up time. Is it really that important to have Quinn become sergeant? Does it really matter that Masuka has a daughter who may or may not be trying to reconnect with him for his money? Why is there this awkward relationship between Deb and Elway? And what was the point of developing Zach as a potential student of Dexter for several episodes when

[spoiler=1]He simply ends up getting killed by Daniel?

With this being the final season, they could have placed these supporting characters in much better storylines involving their relationship with Dexter. Rather than doing that though, they're placed in situations that don't appear to have any effect on Dexter and the series as a whole, which is pretty disappointing.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this season (so far). We'll have to see how the last 2 episodes pan out but I'm hoping it wont be a disappointment. I think they made a huge mistake in putting it in the same time as the series finale of Breaking Bad, because BB stole alot of thunder from Dexters finale.

Edited by Rapture639

It's truly a shame what's become of this show. At this point the bad outweighs the good of this body of work by about seventy percent. About halfway through tonight's episode I got up and went over to my Blu-Ray collection and took all of the seasons off the shelf so I can sell them tomorrow. There are so many problems and plot holes now that it's not even funny. The show is positively irredeemable now and it's gotten so bad that I won't even be able to enjoy the early seasons again in the future without remembering how terrible it gets later. The writing and the production values are in the toilet, this show would be right at home on the CW network. It's really a bummer, I used to love this show and now I just want to forget that I ever watched it at all. I'm not sure it could have been done any worse than it has been. One episode left, it's like watching a dying animal writhing in pain.

Edit: I'm probably begging for an argument since all I did in this post was rant, and that's totally fair. But with a ten thousand character limit and double posting being frowned upon I accept all of the criticisms that come my way because I wouldn't even know where to start.

Edited by WalterWhite

It's truly a shame what's become of this show. At this point the bad outweighs the good of this body of work by about seventy percent. About halfway through tonight's episode I got up and went over to my Blu-Ray collection and took all of the seasons off the shelf so I can sell them tomorrow. There are so many problems and plot holes now that it's not even funny. The show is positively irredeemable now and it's gotten so bad that I won't even be able to enjoy the early seasons again in the future without remembering how terrible it gets later. The writing and the production values are in the toilet, this show would be right at home on the CW network. It's really a bummer, I used to love this show and now I just want to forget that I ever watched it at all. I'm not sure it could have been done any worse than it has been. One episode left, it's like watching a dying animal writhing in pain.

Edit: I'm probably begging for an argument since all I did in this post was rant, and that's totally fair. But with a ten thousand character limit and double posting being frowned upon I accept all of the criticisms that come my way because I wouldn't even know where to start.

It's justifiable. I'm a great fan of the show but the writers, since Season 4, have been all over the place. Great characters are introduced with unsatisfying conclusions...all with more potential or some that just were ruined in some other way. I really like Saxon, but I have a feeling the ending will probably screw this up.

Here's a spoiler thread, now read at your own risk..I CAN'T CONFIRM THESE ARE TRUE but if anyone wants to bother, here it is:

It's justifiable. I'm a great fan of the show but the writers, since Season 4, have been all over the place. Great characters are introduced with unsatisfying conclusions...all with more potential or some that just were ruined in some other way. I really like Saxon, but I have a feeling the ending will probably screw this up.

Here's a spoiler thread, now read at your own risk..I CAN'T CONFIRM THESE ARE TRUE but if anyone wants to bother, here it is:

I was tempted to go through and list my reasoning behind my complaints but I'm so disappointed in the show that I feel like it's too much effort to put it all together and it would take too long to do it. I'm really over the show completely now, it sucks to feel this way but, man, it's so bad.

Anyway I was just reading the review of the episode on IGN out of boredom and it made a great point and it's one that anyone who's been watching from the beginning would probably agree with. Michael C. Hall was doing some press and he suggested that they may have burned through too much story back in the first couple of seasons. I really couldn't agree more. The Ice Truck Killer angle was great and then it was onto the Bay Harbor Butcher, which really should have been the finale. I don't know, with one episode left it's way too late to fix anything or even to go out on a strong note. I guess we'll always have those first three or four seasons. In hindsight it should have ended after Trinity. I don't even know anymore. I know a show that was probably on my all time favorite list at some point won't even exist to me after next Sunday.

My problems with this season:

* Laguerta's death isn't much a big deal. In fact, it's not mentioned after the first episode.

* I don't care about Vogel at all. I wouldn't have minded her so much, but Dexter became so attached to her and that attachment seemingly caused a large personality change overnight, a drastic change happening over the course of 7 episodes instead of the gradual change we've seen over 7 seasons.

* Too many things going on; too rushed. There are a tonne of different storylines going on, and things are being rushed as a result so that everything can fit. So much time was wasted on Quinn/Jamie, Quinn/new sergeant chick (who has disappeared since becoming sergeant go figure), and Masuka/Masuka's daughter.

* Introducing inconsequential characters. Masuka's daughter as mentioned above, Zach Hamilton, and Cassie.

Let me just say that as soon as they introduced Cassie my first thought is that she is dying for sure. Did her death accomplish anything? Not really. Why bother have someone Dexter is already hunting (The Brain Surgeon/Saxon) kill someone Dexter doesn't care about, and using someone else's (Zach's) MO? Pointless.

Next is Zach Hamilton, Dexter's protégé. Except that he's not really. Yet another person Dexter let off his table - and only because of Vogel (see point 2) - and Dexter did nothing with him. He was supposed to mentor him but he was too busy so he became another victim of Saxon's. This death served at least some purpose because Dexter cared about him a little, but why bother introduce him as Dexter 2.0 then kill him off?

Lastly is Masuka's daughter. The only one of these three who is still alive, so there's still that slim possibility her character will be relevant, but to be honest with only one hour left in the show I'd rather they didn't waste any more time on her.

My problems with this season:

* Laguerta's death isn't much a big deal. In fact, it's not mentioned after the first episode.

* I don't care about Vogel at all. I wouldn't have minded her so much, but Dexter became so attached to her and that attachment seemingly caused a large personality change overnight, a drastic change happening over the course of 7 episodes instead of the gradual change we've seen over 7 seasons.

* Too many things going on; too rushed. There are a tonne of different storylines going on, and things are being rushed as a result so that everything can fit. So much time was wasted on Quinn/Jamie, Quinn/new sergeant chick (who has disappeared since becoming sergeant go figure), and Masuka/Masuka's daughter.

* Introducing inconsequential characters. Masuka's daughter as mentioned above, Zach Hamilton, and Cassie.

Let me just say that as soon as they introduced Cassie my first thought is that she is dying for sure. Did her death accomplish anything? Not really. Why bother have someone Dexter is already hunting (The Brain Surgeon/Saxon) kill someone Dexter doesn't care about, and using someone else's (Zach's) MO? Pointless.

Next is Zach Hamilton, Dexter's protégé. Except that he's not really. Yet another person Dexter let off his table - and only because of Vogel (see point 2) - and Dexter did nothing with him. He was supposed to mentor him but he was too busy so he became another victim of Saxon's. This death served at least some purpose because Dexter cared about him a little, but why bother introduce him as Dexter 2.0 then kill him off?

Lastly is Masuka's daughter. The only one of these three who is still alive, so there's still that slim possibility her character will be relevant, but to be honest with only one hour left in the show I'd rather they didn't waste any more time on her.

I agree with every word here. I'm going to respond, but it's just gonna be a rambling mess, don't expect complete sentences or coherency. :)

-Laguerta gets killed in last season's finale, we see a freaking bench get dedicated to her, she's forgotten, Deb is destroyed by it, it looks like the final season will be a Deb and Dexter showdown, six episodes in that's resolved and completely forgotten and then we're on to final season part two with loads of new characters we don't know or care about and then we get what is actually a good antagonist in the form of Saxon in the last few episodes. The season couldn't be more misjointed.

-Vogel being the one who masterminded the code was a cool angle which I saw coming right away for the record, and then she long overstayed her welcome and I didn't care about her at all. She bored me to death. I saw her death coming a mile away, I wasn't surprised by it and it had no impact on me. I think you could make the argument that she was an idiot and she helped Dexter become more of an idiot than he already had become. Remember the scene with the bloody teddy bear that Harrison found? That was one of the dumbest moments of this entire series for me. We have this genius killer that is Dexter who throws a bloody teddy bear that connects him to a murder in the dumpster of his own apartment complex or even worse his own kitchen garbage can? And then I'm supposed to believe that Harrison retrieved the bear? Come on.

-Agree again on the story lines. We have a load of new characters we don't care about that are obviously just around for potential body count factor. How much more exciting could the season have been if Batista and Miami Metro were the ones hunting down Hannah and stumbled on to Dexter rather than this douche bag Marshall and Deb's boss who we don't care about? Meanwhile a bunch of the original characters storylines are going nowhere or are non-existant. They did a decent job with Quinn this season, I'll give them that. Batista is a great character, what's his deal now? When he's not playing matchmaker and trying to promote Quinn he's just loafing around not doing anything interesting. Masuka's daughter? What is the end game for this angle? Maskua has been great as comic relief since the beginning, that's all that character is good for. What happened to that black woman who joined the cast early this season? Haven't even seen her in seven episodes or did she die and I just don't even remember?

What happened to that black woman who joined the cast early this season? Haven't even seen her in seven episodes or did she die and I just don't even remember?

Sergeant Angie Miller, she's been missing since her promotion (similar to Detective Mancone from Season 5), however she reappeared in last night's episode briefly seen in the background and during Batista's speech about Dexter...she's next to Tom Matthews.

But yeah, completely irrelevant character for the most part. They gave her speaking roles and everything, then she just fades and shows up less than Soderquist (Soderquist is one of the background Detectives, Michael Soderquist to be exact...he's seen in various other shows playing as a background cop of some sort).

Well guess we know what the spinoff is now...

[spoiler=axmen]

http://i.imgur.com/JpED9sR.jpg

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/629/8497/original.jpg

^lesser quality image of the background picture used for the reddit discussion thread

So... Dexter is done. Not much for me to say, except that I agree with this guy.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/remember-the-monsters,102659/

Wow, that really did cover it. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read the whole article, it's simply too long for something that doesn't matter to me now. The part I really related to was where he said something like, my expectations couldn't have been lower going into the finale and they still found a way to surprise me with how bad the episode was.

I literally laughed out loud when Joey Quinn tried to act for a second when he and Dexter we're standing over Deb, I actually felt bad afterwards.

Dexter drives his boat into a hurricane and comes out a lumberjack, I never saw that coming. Hey writers you really fooled me into thinking he was dead when he drove into the hurricane, zing!

Edited by WalterWhite

Wow, that really did cover it. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read the whole article, it's simply too long for something that doesn't matter to me now. The part I really related to was where he said something like, my expectations couldn't have been lower going into the finale and they still found a way to surprise me with how bad the episode was.

I literally laughed out loud when Joey Quinn tried to act for a second when he and Dexter we're standing over Deb, I actually felt bad afterwards.

Dexter drives his boat into a hurricane and comes out a lumberjack, I never saw that coming. Hey writers you really fooled me into thinking he was dead when he drove into the hurricane, zing!

I like how Scott Buck tries to make it seem like it was "hinted at" when Dexter was trying to sell his boat a couple episodes ago, because he mentioned a "life raft" (which Buck claims Dexter used as an escape). According to him, Dexter's "survival instincts were too strong" or some shit, so faking his death was part of a plan where he'd survive and go on elsewhere.

Just more of that superman complex he's had since the beginning of the series...very few instances where he's actually been in danger, only two where he was actually overpowered by someone else (Ray Speltzer and I'm including Little Chino here...) but otherwise the most he's came out with over the years is "being caught" a couple times, then always pulling through.

I like how Scott Buck tries to make it seem like it was "hinted at" when Dexter was trying to sell his boat a couple episodes ago, because he mentioned a "life raft" (which Buck claims Dexter used as an escape). According to him, Dexter's "survival instincts were too strong" or some shit, so faking his death was part of a plan where he'd survive and go on elsewhere.

Just more of that superman complex he's had since the beginning of the series...very few instances where he's actually been in danger, only two where he was actually overpowered by someone else (Ray Speltzer and I'm including Little Chino here...) but otherwise the most he's came out with over the years is "being caught" a couple times, then always pulling through.

There was nothing smart, or interesting left to the imagination here. This is just good old fashioned bad writing, directing and acting. It's the kind of thing you see on basic television, not why you pay subscription fees. The last few seasons would have felt right at home on CBS rather than Showtime. I couldn't be more disappointed with what happened to this show and I wouldn't recommend even the early seasons to anybody after seeing how it played out.

I'm done here. RIP Dexter, blah.

Man....what a let down. I LOVED Dexter so much (so much so that we add Showtime for the 2-3 months it's on) and this past season has been such a let down. Such an amazing concept for a show....becoming so invested in Dexter to the point that we root for him to kill.....then this....I guess the show got so great that there was no where for it to go but down.