What setting to get the most out of my HDTV on my Xbox?

Coldgears

How big is the screen? If its below 42" then your not gaining a whole lot by using 1080p, but if your TV/Monitor runs natively in 1080p then that's what you should do. Every TV/Monitor has one resolution that is its optimal viewing resolution. For example, I have a 32" LCD HCTV. It can go up to 1080i, but that's not what it runs in natively, and 1080i is inferior to 720p for reasons that I won't go into unless someone asks. Just find out what the model number of your TV/Monitor is and then Google what its native resolution is.

I just recently got my first HDTV, a 720p plasma, and was pleasantly surprised when I plugged in the Xbox with an HDMI cable and it seemed to set itself up to what I'm assuming is the best setting for the TV. My TV shows that the signal coming in from the Xbox is in <something>X720 or 768 (can't remember exactly what the numbers are right now), but the signal from my blu-ray player says it's <something>X1080.

I've read that the best picture quality occurs when your input matches the resolution of your TV so it doesn't have to scale anything. Since the Xbox can obviously put out a 1080 signal, I assumed it must have detected what the resolution of my TV was and set it's output accordingly. Is that right or is there a manual setting that's supposed to be done? Either way, it looks fucking fantastic the way it is now. :D

I just recently got my first HDTV, a 720p plasma, and was pleasantly surprised when I plugged in the Xbox with an HDMI cable and it seemed to set itself up to what I'm assuming is the best setting for the TV. My TV shows that the signal coming in from the Xbox is in <something>X720 or 768 (can't remember exactly what the numbers are right now), but the signal from my blu-ray player says it's <something>X1080.

I've read that the best picture quality occurs when your input matches the resolution of your TV so it doesn't have to scale anything. Since the Xbox can obviously put out a 1080 signal, I assumed it must have detected what the resolution of my TV was and set it's output accordingly. Is that right or is there a manual setting that's supposed to be done? Either way, it looks fucking fantastic the way it is now. :D

Yes, I think the Xbox will automatically select whatever the native resolution of your TV is. The blu-ray player probably selected the highest resolution available which on a 720p tv would be 1080i. 1080i isn't as good as 720p, again, for reasons that have a lengthy explanation. If it were me I'd switch the blu-ray over to 720 also, but if you don't want to you don't have to.

I've always been playing on 1360 X 768 but I'm not sure if this is the best HD option...

Here's my options they give me.

480P

720P

1080I

1080P

1024 X 768

1280 X 768

1360 X 768

What's the best?

It should also be pointed out that all those x768 resolutions are the same as a 720p resolution. As the first number gets higher your picture is getting less and less widescreen and more fullscreen. Naturally you would want widescreen otherwise you lose some of the picture off the edges of the screen. Bottom-line, of those resolutions you listed, if your TV/Monitor can do 1080p then you should do it.

No TV under 42" supports 1080P as there is no difference in picture quality. I'd love to buy one, they just don't exist. :(

Whoever told you that is wrong, I bought a 32 inch HD-TV from Argos a few months back for £260, it shows my Xbox 360 and Sky HD in full 1080P.

Thanks for the response, SectarianOrigin. So what's the difference between the settings that are like x X y resolution and just simply 720p or whatnot? Are the ones that say x X 768 actually higher resolution than 1080p? Or is that list that Coldgears posted not necessarily in order from low to high resolution? I'm sure I could find these answers with just a little internet research, but if you're willing to answer, it'd be a little easier ;) :p

Whoever told you that is wrong, I bought a 32 inch HD-TV from Argos a few months back for £260, it shows my Xbox 360 and Sky HD in full 1080P.

I did a google search and the first thing that came up was that 1080P on a 32" is completly overkill.

http://gizmodo.com/221127/sharp-aquos-32-1080p-tv-overkill

Then I found a chart that proves that the distance I am away from my screen makes no noticeable difference.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Then I found an article proving that it is pointless

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/16/business/la-fi-mini-hdtv-20100816

Then a forum thread

http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs/47661-small-1080p-tv.html

then another

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home-theater-gear/32813-what-smallest-screen-1080p-tv.html

Yeah all on the same page of my search query... I sure want to buy one now!:p:p:p

No, but if your TV only supports up to 720p, I'd personally start saving up for a new telly.

What are your reasons? You just came here and recommended that he saves up for a new TV, well..... why?

At 32" you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Anything 42" and under is just fine at 720p and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

On a side note, like previously stated don't use 1080i, 720p is far superior.

p = progressive

i = interlace

p > i

I could type a long and detailed explanation why, but wanted to keep it short and to the point.

Thanks for the response, SectarianOrigin. So what's the difference between the settings that are like x X y resolution and just simply 720p or whatnot? Are the ones that say x X 768 actually higher resolution than 1080p? Or is that list that Coldgears posted not necessarily in order from low to high resolution? I'm sure I could find these answers with just a little internet research, but if you're willing to answer, it'd be a little easier ;) :p

Ok, in an x X y resolution the x=the number of pixels displayed on the screen horizontally. Y=the number of pixels displayed vertically.

So:

x X y

1280 x 720p

1280 x 768

1920 x 1080p

1280x720 on HDTVs IS 1280x768. Don't ask me why they don't just call it that, I don't know. Maybe they wanted a nice even number to use. And if it weren't 720 would still be superior IMO because it gives you a wider image since its ratio to the "x" is greater. But, as you can see, 1080p is a MUCH higher resolution than either of the other two. If you have a TV that supports 1080p then use that.

Coldgears:

You CAN buy HDTVs at 32" that display in 1080p, but as Fishman stated you don't need to buy a new TV if your only going to be at 32". The Human eye is incapable of differentiating the picture quality between 720p and 1080p at that size of a screen. The reason that no TV under 42" displayed in 1080p for a while is because there simply wasn't a need to make smaller TVs with that high of a resolution. Don't waste your money on a small TV with a high resolution if buying the higher resolution forces you to spend more. The thing I'd worry about at 32" and 720p is the contrast ratio. The higher the contrast ratio the deeper your picture will get.

RichXbox360:

As you may have figured, I've done a LOT of research on this stuff. I like to know what I'm buying, so that I know I'm getting my money's worth. Trust me when I tell you that having 1080p on a 32" TV is redundant. If you have a TV that didn't cost too much that does it at that size then that's great, but you don't need it.