Onyx Medal Guide

TehGoomba

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found another decent way to level. What you do is farm Boombardier, Nice Suit, and Hail Mary ribbons in Act 4 Section 2 (the section in Cole's campaign with the Silverback). Just start from that section on whatever difficulty you prefer(not sure if it matters for ribbon xp). Then you run straight to the Silverback and go into the rocket mode. Kill the enemies that are right in front of you and then sit back at around the back of the truck on the left side by the wall(this has been the best for me, but preferred spots may vary for players.). Once the door opens, just start killing enemies with the rockets, and each kill should be a Hail Mary, with the occasional Nice Suit and Boombardier ribbon showing up. Once all enemies are dead, just reload the checkpoint and repeat for as long as desired.

By doing this, you get a nice amount of progress towards Rare Prizeboxes and some good xp from the ribbons. It is quite boring, and the bots will sometimes stand right in front of your shots. But I have managed some decent xp from this as well as a lot of progress towards explosives kills. Also, make sure you remember that when you feel like finishing up, you finish the section so the ribbons count.

Saw this in another thread, good for explosive kills

Another one of the easy onyx medals is to defend the e-hole cover til wave 5 in survival. Play casual private matches and only have to do 25. Can work towards your 6000 spots or ammo gives or the repair if you havent got it. The revive medal for overrun/survival is a pain to try to get here tho cause the bots pretty much dont die.

Easier way to get a lot of It's a trap ribbons is chapter 6-4, North Entrance or something. At the start you got 2 tripwire crossbows which you can use on the doors on the other side. If you aim right, you can get 7-10 ribbons each time. Not even a minute of your time. Rinse and repeat or continue on because this is also great spot for grenade kills. A lot of enemies will gather downstairs and 2-3 grub holes will open.

Very easy way to get Heavy Weapons Onyx is chapter 4-2, The Terminal I believe. Just jump to the silverback and use your guns - it counts for heavy weapons. Each time you'll get 25-30 kills and only 1000 is needed for Onyx. It's also very good place to work on Spotter Onyx.

• 1 month later...

Easy way I found for Heavy Weapons onyx medal (1,000 kills for Onyx): use the Silverback.

In campaign (casual difficulty obvs) load up Onyx Point section, section called Container Bay (I think it is Chapter 4, section 2).

Run straight to the Silverback and just use its minigun.

Kill everything in front of you, then sprint right to the exploding door, kill them. Sprint through the tunnel and kill to your left, then go left and turn to the right and gun down everyone in that final stretch.

As soon as you hear the music and the objective is crossed off in the top left, just reload checkpoint.

This chapter takes only a few minutes and there is no cut-scene and only one checkpoint (the start), so it means less menu/loading time.

You should get about 40 kills each time you do it, so you're looking at 25 times max. Should only be a few hours max, depending on how many heavy weapon kills you have already.

Other heavy weapons (if you don't like this method for some reason!) are: Oneshot, Hammer of Dawn, Mulcher, Vulcan...basically anything you can't equip in the campaign.

Edited by robrock3

Easy one again is Pyro - kill enemies with fire (Onyx = 1,000 kills)

Start a Private Free For All on Casual Difficulty.

Set score limit to 200, Bots to "Fill", and all weapon pick-ups to the Scorcher.

Use the scorcher as much as possible and you should get it in a couple of hours (7-10 games).

You also get a ribbon for 3 scorcher kills on the trot, so you will get a lot of these for prize boxes.

Do it on the map 'Streets', it's the smallest so you'll kill things quicker and ammo (another scorcher) is never far away.

Edited by robrock3
information was wrong!

By the way, if you have the patience - that casual free for all with score limit 200 can be used to boost all the weapons medals - Private kills also count toward Master at Arms, but not Rifleman.

I am doing Explosive kills by playing as the soldier (Cole) in Survival and using the Booshka. Onyx = 6,000 kills.

At the same time it means I am also doing the one for ammo giver (Onyx = 6000) and the total locust kills in survival, as well as total waves played and defending the first E-hole for 4 waves (onyx = 25 times).

Edited by robrock3

I think Overrun is a little bit better use of time. You get heals/ammo/spot/repair/overrun kills/weapons kills/generator saves/fort destroyer/wretch screams/Kantus/2nd tier...... Plus probably others. Play on casual, defend the first hole and then go work on locust stuff. Just remember to turn mercy rules off.

Easy way to get Melee Master/Retro Lancer/Spotter/ Rifleman/Master At Arms is do a private FFA on casual, just Retro charge the bots.

There is one you can utilise in the aftermath campaign mate,using the lambert humans wait until the computer AI goes down and they will run up to you if you use the retro lancer you can charge at them and it will count towards executions and retro kills as well...

See this video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyEBf9wPR-I]Gears of War Judgment - Onyx Medal Guides "Retro Onyx" and " Finisher" // Episode 2 // - YouTube[/ame]

Kudos goes to the poster of this video,thanks dude!

Yeah I did a grinding session on that Aftermath chapter, it's great for retro charging, i.e. retro lancer kills. Plus every 500 you get the onyx again for campaign executions which is added XP. I'd recommend that method for the RL weapon.

Thanks for the advice on using overrun, I do find survival pretty boring!

I think the most tiresome are active reloads and spotting - anyone got any tips for spotting? I've been trying to find a campaign part where there's someone who doesn't move and who your bot teammates will not attack, but no luck. I'm just gonna use private multiplayer i think. Or a second controller on split screen maybe, in private mulitplayer.

Anyone know the onyx Shock Trooper count?

No sorry - I'm still getting my first 100 for the Bronze!

Only way I've seen to do it fast is private FFA on casual with score limit 10, getting an MVP ribbon each time you win as well, plus obvs the games played medal and games won medal.

You also get First Blood ribbons in Survival and Overrun, just by the by.

It sure is a long grind though!

Edited by robrock3

3000! Oh man.... That is a lot of grinding. Who here believes that there will be an achievement for getting all the medals onyx? I would bet on it considering what Turd Ferguson said about getting people to play their game more with shitty achievements.

Easy way to get ammo giver is to play survival on island with bots.

Allow the enemy to take the first lot of fences then commence killing

At the end of each wave your ai team buddies will all stand around the hole for you to give ammo to!

With the medic and wretch onyx medals I did this with a friend. I hosted, he signed in another controller.

Start overrun on skyline... The two people getting onyx on cog, other controller on locust.

Other controller uses wretch and runs in to spawn, have two cog players stand in same spawn spot but on opposite sides. Wretch puts down the cogs, reviving each other.

Same works for the wretch onyx medal

Shock Trooper: Bronze 100, Silver 300, Gold 1000, Onyx 3000. Grinding: execution to 15 rounds, 1 min, bots on casual - easy 15 first kills (or more if you lose a round).

From what I know Onyx Pyro is 1000 not 500 and for me it was easier to use Hammer of Dawn - it can kill multiple targets in one shot.

Also any kills during Campaign, Survival or Overrun do not count for Rifleman/Master at Arms medals. These need to be done in VS.

If you play 200 FFA on casual spot every enemy you see. Another nice spot is aftermath gondola boosting chapter, if you boost that way of course.

Also if you kill a locust in campaign by shooting a propane tank/barrell it counts as explosive but also a grenade kill for some reason.

If you play Overrun 200 times to get the onyx for defending the generator, switch mercy rule off and start as a COG. You get the first kill easier, then play 1 round and switch to the locust to work on their medals. Skyline is the smallest and quickest map to boost on in my opinion.

Yes you are right, Pyro Onyx is 1000 kills - I've edited my post, sorry.

Another way to do Spotter is in Private FFA, just plug in a second controller (make sure it's player 2 in the party and not a signed in profile - in GoW3 I did that and lost all my campaign collectibles!).

Set bots to Zero and then all you have to do is find the Player 2 on the map and keep spotting them.

This takes AGES and is very boring so watch TV or something while you're doing it. I'm typing this and doing it at the moment. At least it's not like the Active reloads where you have to keep your eyes on the screen.

If that's too boring for you then fair enough, but it does work.

Edited by robrock3

I've accidentally found a really fast way to get HEADSHOTS.

* Can someone please confirm this works on their game too? This is probably a world exclusive, lol! *

With this method I'm also getting: Spotter, Map-based Weapon kills and see edit at the bottom.

Firstly, plug in second controller so you have a Player 2 on split screen.

Versus >> Private >> Free For All

Map = Streets

Score Limit = 200

Bots = Zero

Set all weapons pick-ups to Longshot.

Use the Longshot to kill Player 2 with headshots until he spawns where it shows in my picture below (Player 2 is Baird, I am the Onyx guard with the Green gnasher):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39815606@N03/8740067140/

1. Showing P2 Spawn

Once he is standing there, shoot him in the head from the other side of the building opposite, position and kill shot shown here (doesn't matter exactly where you kill him from, but read on...):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39815606@N03/8740068054/

2. Position to shoot from

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39815606@N03/8738950925/

3. showing killshot

Now the important bit...once you have shot him, go back from the door and to the left down the alley slightly, standing next to the concrete barrier facing the Pork Chops neon sign above the street, as shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39815606@N03/8740067770/

4. showing wait location

If you are standing in this spot then the Player 2 will ALWAYS respawn back next to that van on the other side of the map....so just go to the doorway (pictures 2 & 3) and repeat....

You don't have to be looking at the Pork Chops sign or anything, you can keep facing the way you are going to shoot. It's where your feet are that counts.

The important part is that you go out and left along the wall until the barrier stops you. You need to be either level with or touching the concrete barrier I am standing next to in the 4th photo - if you only go a few steps to the left behind the wall then he will spawn somewhere else.

The fastest way I found was to just stand outside the doorway to kill him from the alley and just strafe left and right, trusting the barrier to stop you when you are far enough to the left. Once you get into a rhythm you can even just no-scope him (don't zoom-aim with the Longshot, just wait for the sight to go red).

You can just kill him once at the beginning and then go and stand where it shows in the 4th photo, this will force him to spawn where you want him.

You'll get 200 headshots per game without needing to run around at all. Very fast.

+ Spot him each time as well if you don't have that medal yet.

+ This also counts toward Map-Based Weapons kills for that medal.

+ Press A on controller 2 to speed up the spawn countdown. This also stops the controller going to sleep.

+ For ammo, there is a Longshot right in front of your shooting position, just make sure you are back at the barrier when the spawn countdown hits zero.

+ You get 175 XP for a headshot kill - so you're looking at 35,000 XP each time you do this to 200 kills.

This has worked over 100 times for me now, so I thought I had better take some pictures and share with you all!

--EDIT--

Bizarrely, this also counted towards my kills with starting rifles, even though I am using the Longshot and it is on Private....does this work for others too? Please confirm.

--EDIT--

OK now it's exciting!!

Just confirmed it on my own console - I got all my longshot kills registered for the Rifleman medal - this could be a very handy glitch if people do not want to do public multi-player, and even if they do it is much faster this way....Don't tell Epic!!! :D

It means I'm getting 4 medals at once (Headshots, Spotter, Map-Based, Rifleman) or 6 if you count Matches Played and Matches Won.

Edited by robrock3

Nice find, longshot is a rifle after all, lol. If you fill the match with bots you get ribbons you can work on (shock trooper, MVP) but AI will steal your kills and basically shit your game up.

Check out if it works with breechshot as well (more ammo).

Just a note: you won't get 35,000 exp from private match. Playing FFA with bots to 200 I usually get around 3,000 exp.

Yeah but Longshot is not a starting rifle so I thought this shouldn't happen? Plus I thought this medal was only for public/ranked matches? It doesn't work against bots on Private but seems to work against a player 2.

Either way it's a good way to get lots of headshots and kills.

It should work with any weapon, so I don't see why not the Breechshot. The spawn point system shouldn't change.

You need to be able to kill him from distance though or you can't get back to that barrier in time, plus it wouldn't be as fast if you've gotta keep crossing the map.

Edited by robrock3