The Jester has a tower... and a blog somewhere therein

Jester Stephan

Hello and welcome to my little piece of the Community Blogs Sub-forum. Straight from my living quarters of our picturesque Medieval castle this is where I, the good court jester of the land, will come to post my random babbling amongst my fellow bloggers in between fulfilling my duties to the kingdom, my king and our mighty red dragon.

A castle, an internet connection and a trebuchet. What more could a humble jester want?

Let's begin.

Stats and fun places:

GT: Madhatters13

Games played: 122

Achievement completion rate: 58%

Most recent completion: Hannah Montana

The day I flooded jackanape's PM box :p

The quest for the fabled Swashbucklin' Diploma

My Anime Planet profile

Table of Contents:

About me || 26th Jan 2014 - Sort-of updated 30th May 2014

Ah, silly Jester, trying this again? || 30th May 2014

Edited by Jester Stephan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About me

Our story begins in a world where Medieval weaponry was no longer used to crash spectacularly through castle walls. Horrible, I know, but true. Trebuchets were no longer the siege equipment of choice, but on the bright side, gaming was on the up and up. I was born in the town of Rugby, which is where I've lived my whole life so far. The town is famous for being the birthplace of sport I was pretty terrible at in school, and perhaps less famously, but a little more annoyingly, it probably couldn't be further from the beach on our little island if it tried. That was always quite bothersome growing up.

No Hogwarts letter at age 11 (although I'd definitely be a Hufflepuff – YAY BADGERS!), so secondary school became the place where I took a fondness to chemistry and biology. I also started to dislike design technology in most of its forms. DT teachers at my secondary school were like Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers at Hogwarts. Teachers came and went each year, but never once could I find a flash of inspiration in that class.

Currently I'm a second year A-Level student taking chemistry, biology and maths and dreaming of shooting off to university this coming September to study even more chemistry. Yep, I'm in love! I'm currently holding a firm offer from York University, which I'm over the moon with, and I'm also holding an insurance offer from Hull University. A bit of a running theme here. Woo Yorkshire!

Before that though, I need to fill my mind with lots of lovely facts. Chemistry and biology are great, but maths can be summed up in one word:

GAAAAAAAHHH!!! *Phoenix Wright style breakdown*

Ahem. Yes that about covers it. Looking at my textbook tells me I've got a fun five months coming my way. If anyone fancies swapping with me when we start differentiating and integrating trigonometric functions, please let me know. :p

Please, please let me know.

Away from all this I like to dabble in creative writing. Most of my recent stuff has been collaborative writing on various websites, although I have participated in two NaNoWriMo events in the last two years. A few TV programmes have a soft spot in my heart, namely The Middle, Modern Family, Moone Boy and Game of Thrones. I have also watched a few animes in recent times, such as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and I'm currently working my way through Attack on Titan (albeit very slowly) on a friend's recommendation.

One of my main goals for this year (along with getting myself into university) is to put more effort into practicing my violin playing. At the moment it rarely sounds too good, but learning to play this instrument has been something I've been interested in since I was a much younger jester. Last year I took the plunge, and this year I hope to get at least a little better.

Then I can serenade my king. That's a goal to aim for! :dance:

That's all for now. More babbling soon.

Edited by Jester Stephan

Like this?

Haha! Very much like this. :p

I think what makes it worse is I can do reasonably well when practicing topics separately, but when they come together in those 7-10 mark questions everything falls apart. It's very frustrating, and I think if I could scream out like good ol' Phoenix I would. :D

• 4 months later...

Ah, silly Jester, trying this again?

Yep, it's true. The jester of Maximum Club Castle has started shouting his ramblings out of the tower window again. Looking back at the timestamps of my original posts in here, I honestly can't believe how fast this year has gone by. Was that really posted in January? And now it's late May and I have seven more exams coming next month... Eep!

Having seen a few other blogs pop back up in recent weeks, I've been inspired to give my own one another try. Cue shiny new mod powers to give it a name change and bring it back from beyond the jaws of Oblivion. This time I'll try and make it last more than one post. :p Me and blog writing seem to have a coming and going relationship at the best of times. My WordPress blog knows this all too well at the moment, though I guess there can be a hint of amusement found in my most recent post before abandoning it again was writing about how I was going to stop doing just that. Yes, great job there, Stephan.

Anyways, how's my gaming been going over the last few months? Well, to sum it up in a single word: slowly. Looking at my gamercard at the top of the site I can still see games that I haven't played since before Christmas. The PS3 has seen the Hitman Trilogy a fair few times, but overall gaming has been on a bit of a break for me up until a week or so ago. So far this year, it's seemed like the list of games that I'd like to play is always growing, while the time I actually spend playing them is dropping in favour of my other hobbies revision. That's gotta be the best way to set yourself up with a backlog that will never even be close to empty again. I'll take this chance to apologise to my copy of Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which is currently in its 26th month of sitting on the shelf still in its wrapper.

When I have been gaming, the one I've spent the most time on recently has been Saint's Row: The Third. I finally completed my takeover of Steelport yesterday (which may or may not have involved a tank rampage), so it was nice to pick up all the achievements associated with that. I'd actually had my eyes on them for a while. I think they were tournament fodder at one point, until I realised how long it'd take to unlock them and found my copy of NBA Live 07 instead. Next I'll most likely go back and get the achievements for completing the acts 'the other way' (if I can remember how I did them in the first place). Then that leaves the collectables, which... yeah, I'll probably be skipping over them.

Something that I really need to do though is find (read: complete) a new game to replace Age of Booty as a trial in the quest for the Swashbucklin' Diploma. It's such a shame we're losing the ability to complete that game at the end of this month as it's a lovely gem of a game. If you haven't played it yet, I'd highly recommend it before those two online achievements become unobtainable. Pegleg Pete would love to share his rum with you out on deck!

Edited by Jester Stephan

As I discussed with you, I'm currently working on Age of Booty. I've got the MP done, but man, the SP is pretty tough. I was getting annoyed at the easy challenges, I don't wanna start medium lol. Big thanks to corrupt for helping me with the mp.

I think the replacement choice you have made is a decent one, however as it's similar I suggest maybe the one I recommended that you said you wanted to play but haven't yet played. I'm trying to be secretive here, hopefully you know which I'm on about lmao.

And finally, if the Harry potter books were around BEFORE I turned eleven, I would of been sick as a parrot if I didn't get a letter lol.

As I discussed with you, I'm currently working on Age of Booty. I've got the MP done, but man, the SP is pretty tough. I was getting annoyed at the easy challenges, I don't wanna start medium lol. Big thanks to corrupt for helping me with the mp.

I think the replacement choice you have made is a decent one, however as it's similar I suggest maybe the one I recommended that you said you wanted to play but haven't yet played. I'm trying to be secretive here, hopefully you know which I'm on about lmao.

And finally, if the Harry potter books were around BEFORE I turned eleven, I would of been sick as a parrot if I didn't get a letter lol.

That's good that you've got the MP achievements sorted. Some of the missions can be pretty annoying. There are some handy tips in a few of the threads in the Age of Booty forum that I could link for you if you haven't been through there already. Things like making your first two upgrades on the turrets seems to help out a bit, although how slow you can make your ship go with those upgrades can be a real pain in its own right. :p

Yep, I know which one you're on about. I think in the long run it'd be better to go with that one for varieties sake, although it'll most likely mean my club is a three game one for a while, unless I end up with them both in there. I'll have to give it some thought.

It is a pretty disheartening moment when that letter doesn't arrive. :p I more or less grew up with Harry Potter, being at secondary school at the same time as the series was at its peak. It still captures my imagination today, much like other magical worlds. Magic should be real. :dance:

HadMatters! I could have swore it was a brand new blog before I saw the January timestamp XD

Haha! I did make some tweaks to the first post last night too, so it is a little different to what it was back in January. Really doesn't feel like it was all that time ago though. Where did you go revision months?!

The Tower has reappeared? It cannot be!

Welcome back to the blogging metagame.

Thanks buddy. Hopefully this time the tower will stand strong for more than a few weeks. I'm quite looking forward to getting back into this subforum as a whole. :D

Welcome back to the blogs! I just came back here myself after a few months! XD

I never received a letter from Hogwarts when I was 11 either, so I feel your pain there! I have no idea what house I would have been sorted into if I was accepted though. lol It's also a shame that Age of Booty has to be replaced since that game was very enjoyable despite a few missions being a pain (for me, those missions were Medium 5 and Hard 7). Pegleg Pete will surely be missed!

Yes you need to find a replacement for Age of Booty so I can make a go at trying to get that award :p

Great to hear you're interested in going for my club award. Hopefully something neat coming along to replace Age of Booty soon, though a sequel to Age of Booty would be the best replacement.

Make it happen!! :D

Welcome back to the blogs! I just came back here myself after a few months! XD

I never received a letter from Hogwarts when I was 11 either, so I feel your pain there! I have no idea what house I would have been sorted into if I was accepted though. lol It's also a shame that Age of Booty has to be replaced since that game was very enjoyable despite a few missions being a pain (for me, those missions were Medium 5 and Hard 7). Pegleg Pete will surely be missed!

Thanks Kairi. Everybody bringing their blogs back is what made me want to do the same with mine. I'm really glad you brought yours back as that is always a good read. :)

Aww, it's just not fair, is it? You should try one of those test things like on Pottermore and see where it places you. I'm pretty certain I'd be placed amongst the badgers, as I have many more characteristics associated with them than any of the other three houses. :D

Hard 7 was a pain for me too, but I think Medium 7 had me the most flustered. Twice I was robbed of victory within the last 2 seconds on that mission. Pegleg Pete will definitely be missed! We can only hope that they think about bringing out a sequel at some point. I think it's definitely deserving of one. :)

Thanks Kairi. Everybody bringing their blogs back is what made me want to do the same with mine. I'm really glad you brought yours back as that is always a good read. :)

Aww, it's just not fair, is it? You should try one of those test things like on Pottermore and see where it places you. I'm pretty certain I'd be placed amongst the badgers, as I have many more characteristics associated with them than any of the other three houses. :D

Hard 7 was a pain for me too, but I think Medium 7 had me the most flustered. Twice I was robbed of victory within the last 2 seconds on that mission. Pegleg Pete will definitely be missed! We can only hope that they think about bringing out a sequel at some point. I think it's definitely deserving of one. :)

Yeah, I was originally planning on leaving that deleted, but I got convinced to ask for it to be brought back. :p

It really isn't far. :( I tried taking a few different quizzes somewhere, and I have been placed in all of them, so I really have no idea. I should probably sign up for Pottermore and do that one though at some point since that would probably be the most accurate one.

I had no problems with Medium 7 and was able to do that one on the first try. Hard 7 on the other hand took several tries because the green team literally won 4 times in a row within 5 minutes every time until I finally got lucky and won. Pegleg Pete was awesome; they better do something to bring him back! I would definitely buy a sequel to the game if one was ever released!

Yeah, I was originally planning on leaving that deleted, but I got convinced to ask for it to be brought back. :p

It really isn't far. :( I tried taking a few different quizzes somewhere, and I have been placed in all of them, so I really have no idea. I should probably sign up for Pottermore and do that one though at some point since that would probably be the most accurate one.

I had no problems with Medium 7 and was able to do that one on the first try. Hard 7 on the other hand took several tries because the green team literally won 4 times in a row within 5 minutes every time until I finally got lucky and won. Pegleg Pete was awesome; they better do something to bring him back! I would definitely buy a sequel to the game if one was ever released!

Whoever it was who convinced you to bring it back gets a cookie. :)

Oh that's pretty interesting. I guess they all have different criteria, though I imagine the one on Pottermore will be the most accurate (on the internet at least. Probably nothing that could beat having the Sorting Hat dropped on our heads) :p If you do give that one a try, let us know where it places you. Maybe we'll be able to hang out in the burrows together?

I think if any of the teams want to win on Hard 7 you just don't stand a chance really. The difficulty of that one always seemed to be pretty random with each new beginning.

They better. Or we'll have to point our trebuchet at their Head Office until such a time comes. :p

Time to pluderrrrrr!

Plunder away, Mr. Corrupt. :D

Stalematey!

At least I got AoB finished now, I enjoyed it. Having said that, makes no odds as I'm miles off a F3 completion lol.

Stalematey is the worst word in that game. I hope no-one else had to hear it in the same way I did. :(

It really didn't take that much. Just mentioning that it was only soft deleted was enough. I'll still take that cookie, though.

I'm loving the number of people who are revisiting their blogs, though. Twas some lean times not too long ago.

Oh that's pretty interesting. I guess they all have different criteria, though I imagine the one on Pottermore will be the most accurate (on the internet at least. Probably nothing that could beat having the Sorting Hat dropped on our heads) :p If you do give that one a try, let us know where it places you. Maybe we'll be able to hang out in the burrows together?

I think if any of the teams want to win on Hard 7 you just don't stand a chance really. The difficulty of that one always seemed to be pretty random with each new beginning.

They better. Or we'll have to point our trebuchet at their Head Office until such a time comes. :p

Plunder away, Mr. Corrupt. :D

Stalematey is the worst word in that game. I hope no-one else had to hear it in the same way I did. :(

I had one real annoying stalemate......on the hardest level.

I spent most of the afternoon in party with Kairi....she's was moaning about Happy Wars and I was moaning about a certain happy wars level.

I only had problems with one, I forget which one it was. Medium 5 maybe? Or hard 5? I'm sure Kimi can remember, I can't Lol.

I got hard seven on my second go. The one I did struggle on took me ages....and then somehow when I did do it I beat it in four minutes.

I guess they do have different criteria! I will definitely have to take the Pottermore one at some point since that is likely to be the best one that I can take since I won't be able to actually get the Sorting Hat on my head. I will definitely let you know where it places me, and we should definitely hang out somewhere no matter where it sorts me! :p

Yeah, for some reason that green team REALLY wanted to win for a while, but somehow I was able to conquer them! =D Speaking of the trebuchet, you still need to convince the king to point it at a certain office.....:p

It really didn't take that much. Just mentioning that it was only soft deleted was enough. I'll still take that cookie, though.

I'm loving the number of people who are revisiting their blogs, though. Twas some lean times not too long ago.

I already knew that it was soft-deleted from the time it was deleted, so that wasn't the only cause of it. I had a few people say they wanted it back prior to you mentioning you can bring it back, and the further comments of me hoping I change my mind made me reconsider and try blogging again.

I spent most of the afternoon in party with Kairi....she's was moaning about Happy Wars and I was moaning about a certain happy wars level.

I only had problems with one, I forget which one it was. Medium 5 maybe? Or hard 5? I'm sure Kimi can remember, I can't Lol.

I got hard seven on my second go. The one I did struggle on took me ages....and then somehow when I did do it I beat it in four minutes.

At least I finally finished Happy Wars the other day and the grind is done with. XD The ones that you were complaining about was Medium 5.

Blogging is a weird thing, I have no problem commenting, creating posts, writing guides and whatnot but it took me ages to put that blog up. Now I'm paranoid no one will want to read and it was a stupid idea. I can see why a lot of people deleted them.

I already knew that it was soft-deleted from the time it was deleted, so that wasn't the only cause of it. I had a few people say they wanted it back prior to you mentioning you can bring it back, and the further comments of me hoping I change my mind made me reconsider and try blogging again.

Seems like the best thing to do is to bring a pack of cookies so that everyone involved gets one as thanks. :D

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/nabisco-american-chips-ahoy-cookies-368g-pack-5697-p.jpg

I agree, it is really great seeing the number of blogs coming back and activity in here picking up. For me, the desire to blog comes and goes, but I think here we have a ready made community to write for, as opposed to just creating a blog somewhere and throwing your words into the great void. :p It's nice to find out more about our fellow members.

It's weird how the game can just cause so much struggling, but then when you win you're able to do so with little difficulty. It kinda leaves you feeling a bit empty like it wasn't that hard and just wanted to be annoying. That's more or less why there's a few years between my achievement timestamps on it. :p

I guess they do have different criteria! I will definitely have to take the Pottermore one at some point since that is likely to be the best one that I can take since I won't be able to actually get the Sorting Hat on my head. I will definitely let you know where it places me, and we should definitely hang out somewhere no matter where it sorts me! :p

Yeah, for some reason that green team REALLY wanted to win for a while, but somehow I was able to conquer them! =D Speaking of the trebuchet, you still need to convince the king to point it at a certain office.....:p

At least I finally finished Happy Wars the other day and the grind is done with. XD The ones that you were complaining about was Medium 5.

Yes, definitely let us know where it puts you. No matter what we can hang out by the lake. :woop:

I think that's one thing they could improve if they made a sequel. If the enemies want to win it just feels like you're going through the motions until inevitable doom in the later levels. We are working on it, but Medieval logistics mean it's taking a bit longer than expected. Not sure how covert we can make our operation to set it up, but it should be amusing to see their faces when they open the blinds and are greeted by our great trebuchet.

Congrats on finishing Happy Wars too. That sounded like it was quite a pain. :p

Blogging is a weird thing, I have no problem commenting, creating posts, writing guides and whatnot but it took me ages to put that blog up. Now I'm paranoid no one will want to read and it was a stupid idea. I can see why a lot of people deleted them.

Definitely keep it up. Your intro post was really good. I struggle thinking of topics to write, so mine might not get as many posts as some of the other blogs. It's fun though, and I love writing anyways (or I better enjoy it, seeing as I've written about 250,000 words of fiction since July last year). :D

Edited by Jester Stephan

• 2 weeks later...
I have a game or two in mind that I could add, but to be honest I haven't even been near my consoles in almost 3 weeks now to work towards completing them. :p

I hope you do soon! I plan on using Monkey Island to get arcade crazy - silver, which means I'll have the other three games completed :D

I hope you do soon! I plan on using Monkey Island to get arcade crazy - silver, which means I'll have the other three games completed :D

With any luck I'll be able to get something sorted on that front in the coming week or so. Exams are finished now, so I'm freeeee. Congrats on nearly having silver Arcade Crazy. Not sure how I rank on that one... probably about 4 or 5. :p