Silent Hill 3 Questions

GSTAR321

I have a couple of questions regarding Silent Hill 3.

1. Do you need to play the 1st Silent Hill game to really understand and appreciate whats going on in this game?

Because im sort of struggling to grasp the storyline of this one. Silent Hill 2 was fine, it was just about a dude looking for his wife and the shit that followed. But this one is alot more difficult to follow, especially when they reference past character names like "Harry" I believe ...

2. The lag is atrocious when killing a boss and when multiple enemies appear on the screen at once (e.g. 3 nurses) ... the audio also becomes muffled and fucked up ...

Not a question I know ... just wanted to vent ...

I had no such issues with Silent Hill 2 at all. But SH3 is killing me in this regard ...

I managed to 1000 this collection.

When I completed the UFO ending, I skipped the ending credits to see my results screen. I never got to see it though ...

I heard the 'Achievement Popup' sound and the game froze. Black screen.

I powered off my XBOX then powered it back on again, I unlocked 5 achievements at once, under 3 hrs, 2 saves, under 500 dmge, UFO ending, and unlock all SH3 achievements.

Now, when I start a new game, EVERYTIME I meet a criteria for a previous achievement E.g "Aquire the Unlimited SubMachine Gun", the game flat out freezes. EVERY single time without fail.

My game will freeze every single time now, whenever I:

kill a boss in under 2 mins e.g Split worm ..

pick up the sub machine gun, flamethrower, silencer etc etc ...

and it will freeze at the end aswell because an 'ending' unlocks, so I can't see my results screen.

This game is f%^#d ... I can't play it anymore, literally. Lukyily I 1000'ed it before all this mess happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing just happened to me. Like half hour ago. I saw this topic of yours a while back and made a mental note to leave the ufo ending for last, and good thing I did because the exact, as in to the freaking letter, thing just happened to me. So umm... what now? Game's useless? If you managed to fix it somehow let me know, I'll keep seeing if I figure anything out but if not well I got 100% and have them both on ps2 so I guess I'll just give up and get rid of it.

Using a second acct might work but idk... if I ever replay it I guess I'll just go with ps2. SH3 froze on me maybe like 5 times or so. Not a whole lot but I got double the scares being afraid it wouldn't load the next room xD

Same thing just happened to me. Like half hour ago. I saw this topic of yours a while back and made a mental note to leave the ufo ending for last, and good thing I did because the exact, as in to the freaking letter, thing just happened to me. So umm... what now? Game's useless? If you managed to fix it somehow let me know, I'll keep seeing if I figure anything out but if not well I got 100% and have them both on ps2 so I guess I'll just give up and get rid of it.

Using a second acct might work but idk... if I ever replay it I guess I'll just go with ps2. SH3 froze on me maybe like 5 times or so. Not a whole lot but I got double the scares being afraid it wouldn't load the next room xD

The only way I managed to get it working again was create a new account (just called it "Player1") and play on that.

It worked and I was unlocking all the achievements again (since this is a new account, I have 0 gamerscore), but I deleted my save previously so I had to start the game over again without the special items etc. Not sure if it would have worked with the old save anyway, I don't care anymore, this game is broken beyond belief.

If I have to resort to creating a new XBOX Live account just to play a game again, thats a bit of a joke ...

• 2 weeks later...

wow, I thought I was the only one with that problem, The same thing happened to me when I finished SH3, with the same 5 achivements lol! I heard the sound for the achievements, waited a few minutes but it was still too dark so I turned off the console, and then after that everytime I tried to start a new game, in SH2 or SH3, it would freeze whenever I pick up a special item, I deleted all my saved files and now I can play but that sucks, I lost the green hyperspray because of that glitch!

• 1 month later...

A problem with the UFO ending, huh? Did everyone having that same problem skip the credits/ending in order to assuage this problem? Did you all have those same achievements required?

There's a lot of questions that could be asked here, and I haven't achieved that ending myself - probably a good thing I didn't. There's still a few achievements I need, but none pertaining to special items or the like. I've already got my 2 save run ( normal ending ), and my less than 500 damage run ( normal ending ), among others. All mine are different, and so I'll be sure to test this out.

And of course I'll make sure I get 100% done in SH2 before I get the UFO ending in SH3; if it freezes for me I'll let you guys know, but in the meantime try to get back to me on the issue by answering the previous questions if you will. I'd be interested in seeing if this is an over-load related issue or not.

As a side note: you could always contact the creators of the game/Xbox/Konami and ask them to release a patch to fix the issue with the freezing error. Likely it's a critical error onset by an excessive amount of information, albeit, just like a blue screen on your computer where too much information is loaded, a vital piece stops working to try and assume more power for another, and as a result the task at hand stops all together.

• 4 months later...

Haven't actually played the HD Collection yet, so the glitches are completely new to me. However, concerning the story for 3, you don't NEED to have played the first one all the way through to understand 3, because 3 tells you who Heather is and why she's even in Silent Hill, anyway. I guess, if you're concerned about continuity, you can play the first one and then play 3, but it's not really necessary.