Overrated?

jholbro5

Does anybody else find Dragon Age a bit overrated? I have yet to be as satisfied with these series as say Mass Effect.

Grats on your fifth post!

OT: Origins was a pretty good game. I wouldnt put it in my top ten but thats an opinion. I just thought the gameplay was a little slow.

Dragon Age 2 was a big let down. It had a lot of hype and the new gameplay was sped up, but the game felt like it had been rushed out the door, with all the repeat dungeon areas and basically one city similar to denerim in origins, even the dlc thus far hasnt been anything on the wow scale for me.

If we are comparing it to other bioware franchise/series titles then yeah I'd pick Mass Effect over it for sure but I know thats not for everyone either.

The two games so far are pretty different from each other.

The gameplay was pretty interesting in both, I thought. In the second one I got a distinct Dynasty Warriors-with-RPG-elements vibe that put me off at first but grew on me as I got used to it. If they expand in this gameplay style they could end up with something very interesting.

Story-wise I thought the first one wrapped itself up pretty nicely, but the second one seems to rely pretty heavily on setting up lots of foreshadowing for events and storylines that, er, don't actually take place in the game. Honestly, unless the Morrigan/Flemeth thing gets some real traction soon, I'm going to either forget what it was or stop caring. Remember how one of the endings in Chrono Trigger was Magus going off to search for his still-lost or probably-dead sister? Remember how you didn't know or care what the hell was going on when they finally rolled that plot point out again in Chrono Cross? Yeah.

I'm interested to see what they do with DA3. I do like the world-mythos they have going. After the first game I assumed we'd be looking at a trilogy, one game for each of the remaining Archdemons, while seeing the Grey Wardens and their world evolving as the centuries passed between each blight. Now it seems we'll be exploring the hundred-year period of the age itself in great detail. This could work, but not if they hold the good stuff back for some grand "later" that may or may not emerge in the next three or four or six or twelve installments of the franchise. Guh.

Meanwhile, yeah, I don't care about the interesting backstory of every piece of junk in these fetch quests or how they're all a tiny facet of this intricately detailed world you've crafted. Get on widdit.

I felt like the first one was already bad enough about reusing the same scenery repeatedly, but this one took it to another level. I like Dragon Age well enough, it just doesn't have the same connection as say Mass Effect. I get really into the battles, the story, the characters of Mass Effect. Then again, the Mass Effect saga is probably a once in a generation kind of thing.

Dragon Age 2 has been ragged on by everyone. I wouldn't call it overrated at all. I just started playing with timid expectations, and thoroughly enjoying it more than Dragon Age: Origins.

But, it's still nowhere near Mass Effect 1/2 in my opinion. Those are as epic as it gets on the 360.

ugh im in the same boat as you. I purchased Origins for the PS3 because everyone said the game was awesome. And I am a HUGE MAss Effect 1 and 2 fan. Ugh I can NOT get into that game at all. Very boring. I forgot this game was on my Gamefly list and they're sending it to me now. I really hope the gameplay in this is much improved.

ugh im in the same boat as you. I purchased Origins for the PS3 because everyone said the game was awesome. And I am a HUGE MAss Effect 1 and 2 fan. Ugh I can NOT get into that game at all. Very boring. I forgot this game was on my Gamefly list and they're sending it to me now. I really hope the gameplay in this is much improved.

I'll admit they improved the fluidity of the combat system tremendously over the first game. It doesn't feel so stilted. That being said, I still don't feel that much of a connection with the other characters in battle. My character is a warrior, so my strategy was always go Conan the Barbarian on every enemy I encountered. Always seemed to work for me.

i didnt feel a connection to all the party members in Origins, mostly i would say Morrigan, Leliana, Shale and maybe Sten some of the time. i didnt really even feel a connection to my Warden.

in DA2 i feel a connection to Hawke much more than the Warden, and i think it has to do a lot with having a voice. i also like Varric, Isabela, Bethany and to some degree, Merrill.

Dragon Age or Mass Effect....

I love Mass Effect, and everything Mass Effect related. So, purely for the DLC codes for ME2, I picked up Dragon Age. I was told that it was not worth all the hype, that it would start to drag, and if you played as a mage...had BAD balance issues.

I have just completed my 3rd playthrough, gaining the last achievements for the core game, (and all DLC achievements). I must say, it was not what I expected...

I thought I would be going into another Mass Effect type game, where the main focus is on the main character. However, after completing DA:O 3 times, and almost finishing DA2, I was very wrong.

- Mass Effect (keeping with the comparisons from previous posts), is driven around the person and how he shapes the world around him.

- Dragon Age, while does appear to be focused on the main character (Warden or Hawke), it is more about the world itself and how that world shapes him.

After looking at it like this, Dragon Age became much more interesting. Especially taking into account the endless lore and possibility that the series can go.

• 6 months later...
Dragon Age or Mass Effect....

I love Mass Effect, and everything Mass Effect related. So, purely for the DLC codes for ME2, I picked up Dragon Age. I was told that it was not worth all the hype, that it would start to drag, and if you played as a mage...had BAD balance issues.

I have just completed my 3rd playthrough, gaining the last achievements for the core game, (and all DLC achievements). I must say, it was not what I expected...

I thought I would be going into another Mass Effect type game, where the main focus is on the main character. However, after completing DA:O 3 times, and almost finishing DA2, I was very wrong.

- Mass Effect (keeping with the comparisons from previous posts), is driven around the person and how he shapes the world around him.

- Dragon Age, while does appear to be focused on the main character (Warden or Hawke), it is more about the world itself and how that world shapes him.

After looking at it like this, Dragon Age became much more interesting. Especially taking into account the endless lore and possibility that the series can go.

I've only played Mass Effect and love the series. I do want to get into DA but wasn't sure about the story itself. Thanks for the comparisions you've provided though, I'll take them into consideration should I choose to get into the DA world.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dragon Age 2 was much better than the origins game, which is in my books an overrated game. This game is perfect for those gamers who are not hardcore rpg fans, and that's one of the reasons why so many people dislike DA2.

Everyone has different taste. I for one will say that DAII is nothing more then average, and that might be stretching it, i loved DA: Origins however.

i'm also of the belief that dragon age 2 is not as good as dragon age: origins. i sort of felt as though it was rushed when being developed or something. the story certainly was interesting at times, but i thought it was not as rich in depth and variety as origins.

i wouldn't say that the game is bad, but i didn't feel like it met the standards of origins. a lot of the quests felt like meaningless, purposeless busy work. i'd compare it to a music album with one or two good songs and a lot of filler. there were some good improvements, but unfortunately there were a few areas where they took a step back too.

for anybody who played the first one, it'd be a good idea to curb your expectations for the second one.

Dragon age 1 and 2 are two very different game to me. Dragon age 1 had a satisfying build up of stories and lores for me. However Dragon age 2 felt like a little side story within dragon age 1, making the game feels like an arcade straight forward game for me with very fun gameplay.

None the less i like both games. Mass effect series i must admit is very good games but i prefer Dragon age simply because i dont really like sci-fi =-=;;

• 2 weeks later...

I think the big difference in feel is that ME had all three games to develop the characters and see your effect on the world and characters, as opposed to only having one (one and a half in Anders' case) like DA does. Plus, I think DA2 is actually underrated in popular opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I was shocked at how bad DA2 was. I really enjoyed DA: Origins and played through it at least 6 times... I was begging DA2 to be over before I even finished Act 1. The need to revisit the same areas over and over again really made this a difficult game to like. Throw in the fact that my male character seemed determined to be homosexual no matter how much I wanted him to show isabella some serious lovin', made this a very tedious game. Dont get me wrong, the game has tons of potential but thats all it has. I honestly cant think of a bioware game that has ever been this bad, and one must wonder how much that has to do with EA

• 3 months later...
i enjoyed DA 2, its not as good as the first game but its not as bad as people make it out to be.

I agree completely. I think it's a good game. I do enjoy Origins more though. I do think DA2's combat and leveling system are good improvements to the series. I like the story and characters. The gameplay is very fun. The changes to certain character models are a little weird. Especially the Ogres and other Darkspawn. They looked better in Origins. They also made Alistair look strange. I love Isabella, Leliana, and Flemeth's new looks. The story wasn't on as grand a scale as Origins. I think that's what a lot of people didn't like about it. It wasn't meant to be like that though. DA2 was about one characters rise to power. It executed that very well. All of the recycled areas was horrible. That's definitely the worst part of the game. I still love the game. :)

• 4 months later...