Ranger Pack DLC Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Shiftie

Metro 2033 Ranger Pack

Overview:

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10 (6/10 if you do both playthroughs)

-Offline: 9 for 240:gsicon:

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to 240: 10-20hrs (depending on number of playthroughs)

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2 (Only 1, with a workaround)

-Number of missable achievements: 0 (Mission Select)

-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheat codes

-Does difficulty affect achievements?: Yes, see below

-Glitchy achievements: None

-Unobtainable achievements: None

-Extra equipment needed?: None

Difficulty Achievements:

It's important to note that the two achievements do not stack, however it is possible to complete the game on Ranger Easy and only the last part of the game on Ranger Hardcore for credit toward both using a workaround found HERE.

NOTE: You can also do the workaround for the normal difficulties to save even more time (but this awesome game deserves at least a couple playthroughs in my opinion).

Weapon Achievements:

There are multiple kill achievements based on the new weapons in this DLC (the Volt Driver and the Heavy Auto Shotgun), sticky grenades, pneumatic weapons, and the knife. You will most likely want to finish up all of the Volt Driver primary (50 kills) and secondary kills (25 kills), as well as the knife kills (50 kills), at the top of the infinite-spawning escalator enemy spawn outside of Cursed Station. Doing so will free your inventory slot up for the Heavy Auto Shotgun you get in Armory Station, which you'll need to get 50 kills with. Over the duration of the game you will also need to get 30 human kills with pneumatic weapons (Helsing/Tihar), which you can get with relative ease in the stealth portions of the game, and you can also work your way toward the 15 stick grenade kills when you want to go loud in these areas for some easy sticky kills after sneaking up on an enemy.

Achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPlc+yg=.jpgSurvivor - 30:gsicon:

Complete the game in Ranger Mode Easy.

See Last Man Standing

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UP34DWo=.jpgLast Man Standing - 50:gsicon:

Complete the game in Ranger Mode Hardcore.

First off, the two new difficulty achievements DO NOT stack. However, you can find a workaround HERE which allows you to finish the game on Ranger Mode Easy and then redo the last checkpoint on Hardcore.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPgl+nQ=.jpgGunman - 20:gsicon:

Kill 50 enemies with heavy automatic shotgun.

The heavy automatic shotgun is one of the two new weapons in the game. It is first available after the chase sequence in Armory Station (it's the big gun on the bed you start next to). It's very important to get it here, otherwise you may miss out on the achievement. Note that it will also appear in Sparta in the pile of weapons obtained from Vladimir. The gun has a big clip and high power so getting kills with it isn't overly difficult.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UP2HEY0=.jpgWeaponsmith - 40:gsicon:

Kill at least one enemy with each weapon available in the game.

The list of weapons is as follows:

• Trench Knife: Starting weapon.
  • Throwing Knife: Can be found on Bourbon's gear in Dry Station, and most humanoids thereafter.
  • Revolver: Starting weapon. Dropped by most humans in the game.
  • Bastard: Starting weapon. Frequently dropped by enemies in the early portion of the game, and occasionally later on.
  • Duplet: Given to you while on the cart during The Chase. These are more frequently found on random corpses, than on enemies that you kill.
  • Kalash: Found at the end of the tunnel behind you at the start of Dry Station. Mid to late game humans carry them as well.
  • Kalash 2012: Can be acquired from Polis, Sparta or D6. These are not carried by enemies.
  • Helsing: Can be acquired at Dead City 1, Front Line, Defense and Outpost. Relatively hidden in each location, so keep your eyes peeled.
  • VSV: Can be purchased in the Armory. Can also be acquired at Black Station from Ulman, as well as a couple of locations later in the station. Also found in Sparta, and D6. These are very rarely carried by late game humans.
  • Tihar: Can be acquired from Lost Tunnels (head down the left tunnel near the start of the area to find it near a corpse), as well as Frontline.
  • Volt Driver: Can be acquired at the bandit station in Lost Tunnels (near the campfire), Armory Station (after the chase sequence, you can only take this or the heavy auto shotgun), or Sparta on the weapons rack.
  • Automatic Shotgun: Among the gear that Bourbon leaves behind at the beginning of Dry Station. Commonly carried by late game humans.
  • Heavy Automatic Shotgun: Can be acquired from Armory Station (on the bed after the chase sequence) or Sparta (weapons rack).
  • Grenade: Can be acquired from various human enemies, loot, merchants, etc.
  • Sticky Grenade: Can be acquired from various human enemies, loot, merchants, etc.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UP5G4Ks=.jpgShocking - 20:gsicon:

Get 50 kills with Volt Driver.

See Stunning.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPxn6R4=.jpgStunning - 20:gsicon:

Get 25 kills with alternative fire of Volt Driver.

The Volt Driver is the second new weapon in the DLC, and it can be found in a few locations through Metro. The first location is in the Lost Tunnels, on an ammo bag near the campfire in the first room full of bandits (it's important that you get it here). You will also find it on the bed next to the heavy auto shotgun (you can only choose one, and I recommend you choose that), and you'll find it a third time in Sparta base on the weapon rack.

The gun's power is based on its charge, which you must increase in a similar fashion to the NVGs or flashlight, but in this case you need to hold :rbbut: and tap :rtbut: to charge. This is very important to get the secondary fire kills needed for stunning (press :ltbut: to do a melee shock attack - aim for the head), and can mean the difference between one-shot kills and 0 damage. I recommend using only the Volt Driver until you reach the auto shotgun in Armory.

Farming kills - When you're outside of Cursed Station and you need to blow up the tunnel and the escalator entrance, park yourself at the top of the escalator for an infinite stream of enemies, so long as you don't block off the entrance. Because they appear in groups, I would recommend getting Stunning done prior to this, and using the primary here as it is safer against groups.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPnFAuc=.jpgAir Bender - 20:gsicon:

Kill 30 humans with only pneumatic weapons.

The Tihar and the Helsing are both pneumatic weapons, signified by their pumping mechanism which increases their damage. Be sure to keep the weapon pumped to maximum pressure using :rbbut: and obviously kill humans with it (they don't need to be consecutive kills).

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPvkC1I=.jpgSterling Effort - 20:gsicon:

Kill 50 mutants with your knife.

This achievement is a pretty good reason to start on Ranger Easy first, as you will be taking quite a bit of damage while trying to stab enemies to death. While you can finish off enemies with the knife that you softened up with a gun, it's less reliable if you constantly kill the target with the gun on accident. Luckily, the alternate attack can be quite powerful if you aim properly (note: throwing knives do not count for this, primary or alternative fire).

Farming kills - You can effectively farm kills for this alongside the Volt Driver kills at the top of the escalator outside of the Cursed Station.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPwS80w=.jpgSticks like a bur - 20:gsicon:

Kill 15 enemies using sticky grenade.

To effectively get a kill with a sticky grenade you'll want to stick the grenade to your target, as they'll run away from the grenade otherwise. Multiple kills with one stuck grenade will count toward this achievement. Sneaking up on enemies to ensure you stick the grenade to them is a good tactic. Other than that, you should get this over your playthrough via sticky grenades that you pickup and/or purchase from merchants.

Edited by Shiftie

Congratulations!

This Achievement Guide and Roadmap has been reviewed by Guide Team Staff member Yunder and has been published as the Official x360a.org Achievement Guide and Roadmap! The link to the Official Guide is here:

Official x360a.org Metro 2033 / DLC: Ranger Pack Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Please post any updates within the Update: Guides & Roadmaps thread.

Also, please check the Award Tracking: Guides & Roadmaps forum to make sure we are up to date.

You may request for those to be edited/updated within that forum as well.

We look forward to your future submissions!

• 2 weeks later...

So you can't just reload a chapter? I beat the game and I think possibly didn't do it with 1 weapon, 2 max (Kalash 2012 might be one). No beating the game, then going to reload a chapter and gaining it?

So dumb! Looks like I have to play through the game again just for this and the explorer one. Does not deserve more than one playthrough, sorry Shiftie :) Maybe in 2010 it did, but that was 3 years ago and now it's not as impressive. I did enjoy my time so far, but I do not enjoy multiple playthroughs on technicalities. I was too busy trying to get 50 kills, 30 kills, etc with certain weapons. There wasn't enough weapon swapping places in the game to make me feel comfortable dropping it until I had the achievement.

ALSO: The chapter reload confuses me. I had killed 1 demon on my first playthrough (the one on the tower level that you have to kill). I reloaded a point and got the bow gun, bought tons of ammo and went to get the achievement related to those weapon types. I didnt complete the level. I reloaded Dead City 1 and killed a demon, using almost every bullet I had until it finally died! Even my golden bullets. These were different weapons than I had from my last reload. I quit out when I didn't get achievement. No saving icon showed up for me that I saw. I loaded the Outpost level and...I had 0 golden bullets and 7 arrows and not the right guns. What the heck? I had over 30 arrows when I quit out from a different level. It's like this game only likes to save the bad things. I might avoid the sequel for a while since they obviously don't care about people's time nor know what chapter replay should be.

Edited by Tyger7

So you can't just reload a chapter? I beat the game and I think possibly didn't do it with 1 weapon, 2 max (Kalash 2012 might be one). No beating the game, then going to reload a chapter and gaining it?

So dumb! Looks like I have to play through the game again just for this and the explorer one. Does not deserve more than one playthrough, sorry Shiftie :) Maybe in 2010 it did, but that was 3 years ago and now it's not as impressive. I did enjoy my time so far, but I do not enjoy multiple playthroughs on technicalities. I was too busy trying to get 50 kills, 30 kills, etc with certain weapons. There wasn't enough weapon swapping places in the game to make me feel comfortable dropping it until I had the achievement.

ALSO: The chapter reload confuses me. I had killed 1 demon on my first playthrough (the one on the tower level that you have to kill). I reloaded a point and got the bow gun, bought tons of ammo and went to get the achievement related to those weapon types. I didnt complete the level. I reloaded Dead City 1 and killed a demon, using almost every bullet I had until it finally died! Even my golden bullets. These were different weapons than I had from my last reload. I quit out when I didn't get achievement. No saving icon showed up for me that I saw. I loaded the Outpost level and...I had 0 golden bullets and 7 arrows and not the right guns. What the heck? I had over 30 arrows when I quit out from a different level. It's like this game only likes to save the bad things. I might avoid the sequel for a while since they obviously don't care about people's time nor know what chapter replay should be.

As I told you, the achievements in this game unlock whenever they feel like for some people, but work fine for others. I've heard people say that reloading missions worked fine for stuff like weapons, but I know it didn't work for me when I played from where you first get the Heavy Auto Shotgun to get my weapon kills.

The sequel (so far) seems to have fewer achievement unlocking issues, however some achievements aren't unlocking at all, for anyone right now (which I honestly prefer to it MAYBE unlocking if I'm lucky).

Explorer was easy compared to the annoyance of killing with every weapon. I dedicated a complete playthrough and still did not get the achievement when I got to Sparta. I just don't even get how that's possible. Is it only humans that count?

No, even mutants count, but you have to do it in one playthrough!

Please, tell me Tyger, what guide did you use to get Explorer? I don´t want to try it without guide and fail, because I was looking at every corner possible in the game too and still didn´t get it :(

No, even mutants count, but you have to do it in one playthrough!

Please, tell me Tyger, what guide did you use to get Explorer? I don´t want to try it without guide and fail, because I was looking at every corner possible in the game too and still didn´t get it :(

I didn't use a guide. I just looked everywhere for the random bodies. Paid no attention to flashes. Was my second play. Didn't get my first even though I got enlightened. I just ran to every area I could and obtained it in library on a body.

Guess I need to attempt guns again. Maybe start at alley.

EDIT: Got it finally. I can say for certain, that if you ever load a chapter then it erases the kills for Weaponsmith. During Trolley Combat I got stuck on a bad save which I read around is kind of a glitch. I was forced to reload that level from the start. What you have to do is literally play through without ever loading another chapter. You can, however, save yourself an entire playthrough if it's the only achievement you need by starting at Alley and ending at when you get to Sparta for the Autoshotgun. You should get the achievement when fighting the enemies by the flamethrower. So glad to get done with this!

Edited by Tyger7

I didn't use a guide. I just looked everywhere for the random bodies. Paid no attention to flashes. Was my second play. Didn't get my first even though I got enlightened. I just ran to every area I could and obtained it in library on a body.

Guess I need to attempt guns again. Maybe start at alley.

EDIT: Got it finally. I can say for certain, that if you ever load a chapter then it erases the kills for Weaponsmith. During Trolley Combat I got stuck on a bad save which I read around is kind of a glitch. I was forced to reload that level from the start. What you have to do is literally play through without ever loading another chapter. You can, however, save yourself an entire playthrough if it's the only achievement you need by starting at Alley and ending at when you get to Sparta for the Autoshotgun. You should get the achievement when fighting the enemies by the flamethrower. So glad to get done with this!

Even through the Explorer is seriously mysterious achievement, everyone says - bodies, gonna give it a try, just doing 2nd playthrough of Last Light, so after that - I´m going for this, hopefully gonna do it, really don´t want to do 3rd playthrough if I fail this one (great game, but linear).

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1245/UPwS80w=.jpgSticks like a bur - 20:gsicon:

Kill 15 enemies using sticky grenade.

To effectively get a kill with a sticky grenade you'll want to stick the grenade to your target, as they'll run away from the grenade otherwise. Multiple kills with one stuck grenade will count toward this achievement. Sneaking up on enemies to ensure you stick the grenade to them is a good tactic. Other than that, you should get this over your playthrough via sticky grenades that you pickup and/or purchase from merchants.

A few places you can get easy enemies in groups for this cheevo:

FRONTLINES - Right at the beginning of he level, the cart you were hiding beneath will stop just ahead of you in the tunnel. A superior officer will stand on the cart giving a speech to 4 sitting enemies. Get relatively close (since Artyom throws grenades like a little girl), cook the sticky for a little bit and toss it into the group. You should get 4-5 kills with this one.

Also, a little later in the level, when you get up to the top of the elevated rail line on the left-hand side (from your starting position), once you find the generator at the top of the steps, look to your right. There should be a white sheet hanging across an opening. Go around the sheet and there are two wounded but alive enemies lying on mattresses. They will do nothing as you toss a sticky grenade on them for 2 more kills.

OUTPOST - Again, right at the beginning of the level, run forward and once you clear the cave entrance, look to the right. There is a little shack for you to hide in. You'll hear some dialogue between the enemies about opening the airlock you just came through. After the dialogue a group of 6 enemies will pass by the shack and go into the tunnel you just exited.

They will gather in a group right by the airlock door. Again, get relatively close, cook the sticky for a bit and toss it into the crowd. Hopefully you'll get all 6.

If you can kill all the enemies I mentioned with stickies, you will have 13 of the 15 kills necessary. And it should pop the one for blowing up 10 enemies in the process - if you don't already have that one...

• 1 month later...

I absolutely can not get the Weaponsmith achievement to unlock. I've tried it three times so far (though apparently one attempt I didn't have the DLC on my harddrive).

I got multiple kills with all the weapons. I know for a fact. I did it all in one continuous playthrough. No reloads, didn't even exit the game. I think it's completely unlockable for me.