Best & Worst Value Season Passes / DLC

ThrawnOmega

We've come a long way since the infamous Horse Armor DLC in Oblivion, and these days it seems like almost every game released gets some post launch DLC.

So, with all of it that's out there, what content has produced the most value for your dollar? What was an overpriced pile of poo?

For me, the best are:

Gears of War 3 Season Pass I've put over 300 hours into the game, and even 2 years after it's release, it is my go-to game for a night of casual action, and I have 4 friends I play with every now and them. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of all the new maps.

Borderlands 2 Season Pass While I thought Hammerlock's Hunt sucked, Tiny Tina's DLC may be one of the best expansion packs for a game this generation. Plus, they threw in the first level up pack as part of the deal, which they really did not have to do since they only promised campaign DLC with the pass. I have 111 hours in Borderlands 2 to date and am a long way from through with it.

The Worst:

Saint's Row 3 DLC I got all of it 50% off on Deal of the Week, and still felt I overpaid. It was OK, nothing inspired, and far too short.

Map packs for games with no multiplayer community Every time I do something stupid like buy the Timeshift map packs to boost the achievements, I kick myself later, since I know when I'm buying it I'll never use the content as it was intended.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst DLC = Oblivion Horse Armor -- LMFAO. I'm surprised this isn't unanimous.

The Horse Armor gets a bad rap because it was the first notable example of a company maybe trying to nickel-and-dime consumers for fringe content of marginal benefit or cosmetic only.

Compared to the "Launch Day" skins pack for Gears 3, which was I think 4000 microsoft points for cosmetic skins which provide no gameplay benefit, horse armor is looking pretty good! ;)

Best: Mass Effect 2/3 DLC - I have enjoyed almost all of them. They usually add to the sotry which is what DLC should do.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - My all-time favorite racing game. So the DLC was welcomed.

Worst: Defiance Season Pass - Game is such a let down. This is why you do not buy a season pass before you play the game.

Worst: Defiance Season Pass - Game is such a let down. This is why you do not buy a season pass before you play the game.

The two season passes I named in my OP I purchased without ever playing those games, but those were sequels to established franchises where I knew what kind of gameplay to expect.

I agree on Defiance. I've put about 100 hours into that game. Their frequent delays in updates, pushing back the DLC, and the fact that DLC always seems broken the first week after is launches does not inspire confidence. I would rather pay them $10 a pop as the content launches than give them $40 up front and wonder what I'll be getting and when / if it will ever arrive. I wanted to champion that game SO HARD when it came out - now it's fun to blast enemies from time to time casually, but I'm not committed to the game.

I was happy with the Borderlands 2 season pass. I don't do too much multiplayer gaming so tend to stay away from the passes. I do have the Bioshock Infinite pass - didn't enjoy the first piece of DLC but the next one looks good so I suspect time will tell with this one.

Best Season Pass - L.A. Noire

Hands down...it was reasonably priced, the content actually added good replay value to the game, and it was just fun.

Worst Season Pass - Saint's Row: The Third

I didn't actually purchase it, since I bought the "Full Package Edition", but still...the DLC's were fucking awful and short.

I've bought a few season passes, but none of them have been worthwhile to me. I thought the one for Borderlands 2 was one of the worst.

Every DLC for Borderlands 2 sucked apart from Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragonkeep. I thought it was one of the worst ones as-well. Moreover, what makes it even more worse is that not all DLC's are included in the season pass. I originally thought that all the DLC's with achievements were to be included in the season pass but this is not the case.

Currently Borderlands 2 has 1625G so im assuming theres going to be on more DLC with achievements excluded from the season pass. Therefore for all the reasons above Borderlands 2 season pass was one of the worst. :mad:

The season passes i bought were:

Halo 4

Borderlands 2 (worst)

L.A Noire

and many more that i cant remember.

The best has to be BF3 Premium simply for the sheer amount of love (and skill:p) i have for that game.

I didn't actually purchase it, since I bought the "Full Package Edition", but still...the DLC's were fucking awful and short.

the worst has to be Saints Row 3. i also bought the complete edition. considering i got it of Ebay for £5, i don't feel too bad about it.

Halo 4 was also pretty bad. the maps themselves were good but once the DLC playlist disappeared those maps became lost in other playlists and thus became a waste of money

Every DLC for Borderlands 2 sucked apart from Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragonkeep. I thought it was one of the worst ones as-well. Moreover, what makes it even more worse is that not all DLC's are included in the season pass. I originally thought that all the DLC's with achievements were to be included in the season pass but this is not the case.

Currently Borderlands 2 has 1625G so im assuming theres going to be on more DLC with achievements excluded from the season pass. Therefore for all the reasons above Borderlands 2 season pass was one of the worst. :mad:

The season passes i bought were:

Halo 4

Borderlands 2 (worst)

L.A Noire

and many more that i cant remember.

The next DLC is coming out in October. I don't remember the specifics, but it has something to do with TK Baha.

How much do you want to bet it will be as mediocre as all the other DLC released so far?

The next DLC is coming out in October. I don't remember the specifics, but it has something to do with TK Baha.

How much do you want to bet it will be as mediocre as all the other DLC released so far?

I remember a video on IGN stating that it was roughly 2 hours long. It'll probably be on par with that crappy Hammerlock DLC. LINK (:35-:45)

Edited by koopakiller64

I've bought a few season passes, but none of them have been worthwhile to me. I thought the one for Borderlands 2 was one of the worst.

Preach on sister. I'll never miss a chance on this forum to piss and moan about that fucking season pass. It made me hate the franchise. The price and value was perfectly fine, the content was shit.

Hands down...it was reasonably priced, the content actually added good replay value to the game, and it was just fun.

Totally agree. That one was a good deal and it's the only one I've ever bought that I have a fond memory of.

The Bioshock Infinite season pass seems like it should work out well, but time will tell. The Clash In The Clouds add-on was about as weak as it gets. I don't really care though, a twenty dollar season pass isn't that much money. I'm going to be skipping season passes and DLC in general a lot more next generation. The content just isn't usually that great and now that nearly every game that releases has a season pass and DLC of some sort it's time to get picky.

Totally agree about LA Noire. Great stories and expanded nicely on the main game. Great value too. Lots of content. Metro-Last Light seems like it will be a good value too since it was a reasonable price (compared to other passes). Fun and can't wait for the one with the four different character's side stories.

Bought the AC3 season pass. The George Washington story was a major disappointment. Not really worth it to me.

Glad to see I don't live on an island and that pretty much everyone thought the Saint's Row 3 DLC was terrible.

Ha ha. I'm all for the argument "that is why you don't buy a season pass without knowing what you are getting", but when your content gives you at most, 3 hours of gameplay across 3 different add-ons, you should hang your head in shame.

Mind you, in those 3 hours I was able to get collectibles and/or any achievement for that particular add-on. I didn't just rush through them and I am bloody glad I didn't.