Can I install the second disk yet?

tpb

From what I understand we were supposed to install the first disk, and not the second... and that there would be a patch to allow us to install both.

Anyone know if this has been in one of the patches that have come out? Getting tired of the buzzing from my console. lol.

Where did you read that there would be a patch released?

Anyway, it's already been said since day one that you can install the second disk onto a USB drive to prevent the disc from spinning and not have any performance issues. Just make sure it's in a different location from wherever the first disc is installed.

From what I understand we were supposed to install the first disk, and not the second... and that there would be a patch to allow us to install both.

Anyone know if this has been in one of the patches that have come out? Getting tired of the buzzing from my console. lol.

There isn't going to be a patch, but if you want you can just go ahead and install the 2nd disc to your hard drive, or even better, a USB stick.

I believe the whole idea behind not installing both discs to the hard drive is because there is a limit to how much data can be pulled off the hard drive at any given time. With disc 2's data being in a second location (DVD, or USB Stick) the game can get more data faster than just pulling it from one location.

I personally just installed the 2nd disc to my hard drive, I'm really not too bothered with the odd item (tree's, fence's etc) appearing a few seconds later.

Here's the video that warned against installing both discs...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gPB0gdoOM]Why You Shouldn't Install the GTA5 "Play Disc" on Xbox 360 - YouTube[/ame]

And here's a video that I just did showing both discs installed and the game running just fine...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnn4WjdyblI]Both Discs Installed on the HDD[/ame]

Edited by Vulx

Testing about with this when i was double checking things, that few seconds for an item to pop up is enough to kill, especially if you are flying and its a tree ;)

Here is the possible combinations you can do to avoid popups and other things like that. (Yes being that its ok, no being that its not ok):

DVD/HDD - Yes

DVD/USB - Yes

USB/HDD - Yes

HDD/HDD - No

USB/USB - No

As stated there was no patch stated to fix this, its a bandwidth limitation issue, you can't patch that as it requires new hardware, there will never be a fix to allow both from the same drive and keep popup gone. I can't be arsed to find my big long post on this but for example say the dvd drive can do 1gbit of bandwidth per second and so can the HDD, combined you have 2gb/s, using both discs on one thing you are limited to the 1gb/s however, this is whats happening and why its required to install one and not the other or install the other to another drive.

For a really basic analogy think of it as trying to condense two lanes of traffic to one, its never going to be as fast as it was with two but it will still work with some issues of things having to wait to move over and get through.

Edited by Killerchronic

Testing about with this when i was double checking things, that few seconds for an item to pop up is enough to kill, especially if you are flying and its a tree ;)

Here is the possible combinations you can do to avoid popups and other things like that. (Yes being that its ok, no being that its not ok):

DVD/HDD - Yes

DVD/USB - Yes

USB/HDD - Yes

HDD/HDD - No

USB/USB - No

As stated there was no patch stated to fix this, its a bandwidth limitation issue, you can't patch that as it requires new hardware, there will never be a fix to allow both from the same drive and keep popup gone. I can't be arsed to find my big long post on this but for example say the dvd drive can do 1gbit of bandwidth per second and so can the HDD, combined you have 2gb/s, using both discs on one thing you are limited to the 1gb/s however, this is whats happening and why its required to install one and not the other or install the other to another drive.

For a really basic analogy think of it as trying to condense two lanes of traffic to one, its never going to be as fast as it was with two but it will still work with some issues of things having to wait to move over and get through.

I have the 360 slim with the 4gig hard drive but have inserted the 250 gig

Hdd too. My first disc is installed on the 250 and I'm just playing with the disc spinning. Could I instal the second disc to the 4gig drive? Would this allow me to play the game without the disc spinning and run fine.

Sorry, I'm not really a very techy person so don't really understand it all. Haha

i installed both disks to hdd to see what it was like and it was bad, i had banners, signs, textures and manholes and even structures popping up right in front of me so i uninstalled and then installed disk 2 to a 32 gig usb and it runs silky smooth with no pop up at all and this is the only way to go imo. It is worth getting a big usb as i think a lot more 2 disk games will work like this.

i installed both disks to hdd to see what it was like and it was bad, i had banners, signs, textures and manholes and even structures popping up right in front of me so i uninstalled and then installed disk 2 to a 32 gig usb and it runs silky smooth with no pop up at all and this is the only way to go imo. It is worth getting a big usb as i think a lot more 2 disk games will work like this.
And yet I am using the exact same spec console and haven't even realised the problem till I read this thread! I've had no pop up the game runs fine, well I've been playing since release day and so far I think the only pop up might have been I was fondling a stripper (okay you don't get to write that every day) and the security must have come back and the screen flashed and then there was 3 guys trying to beat me up still sat down. But apart from that nothing even noticeable.

Still 32Gb flash drives are cheap in Asda (Walmart) so I may buy one tomorrow as the free games on gold are filling my 250 HD up to near max.