Favorite Old Game?

Nerduh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolfenstein released one year before Doom did by the same developer, so if one is more responsible for the influence of FPS games today it would be Wolfenstein. Doom came later and was essentially just a horror based version built on the same game code and design, even the HUD layout was near identical.

Regardless, someone else would have come up with that idea by now, I doubt highly that the FPS genre wouldn't exist today if Doom or Wolfenstein was never made, someone within a few years would have built something similar. As much as games have come along and evolved to think no one would create a first person shooter by now makes little sense.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not debating to be a jerk, it's just an alternate viewpoint from someone who also grew up during that generation of gaming and loved Doom and Wolfenstein when I was younger. I just feel like logically saying "Without Doom, first-person shooters as we know them today wouldn't exist" is tremendously inaccurate. It wasn't THAT original of a concept that no one else would have thought of it in the last 21 years, but props to them for being the pioneer.

Came on to this thread, saw the post you're referring to, and was just about to say nearly this exact thing. Ninja'd, I guess.

Now, it isn't totally fair to say that such-and-such WOULD have eventually happened, so whoever did it first isn't that impressive. Someone would have eventually set foot on the moon, but everybody knows who Neil Armstrong is.

With that said, I think you're right: Wolfenstein was more of a game-changer than Doom. And I'm saying that as someone who enjoys Doom more. Sure, it refined the gameplay and concepts, but Wolfenstein blazed the trail and proved that FPS games could work (that statement seems a bit silly in a gaming world flooded with FPS titles).

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to pick a favorite seeing as there have been so many good games through the years.

However I would probably go with either Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana. I loved those games and have played them more than once. Not that often I do that with an rpg (nowadays things are slightly different with achievements sometimes making you play rpgs several times). :)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

KOTOR and Jade Empire - the best bioware games, still unmatched

Conkers Bad Fur Day - there will never be a game to match the insane glory of this masterpiece

Morrowind - Oblivion and Skyrim are both just dumbed down versions of this

MGS 3: Snake Eater - as it is still the best in the MGS franchise

Shadow of the Collossus - still untouchable, a ture piece of art

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Forces 2, this game got me into gaming and Star Wars as a whole, parents bought a PC from my dads work mate when i was around 8 and this came pre-installed on it (along with age of empires 2 but ill get there) and everything just took off from there. I loved it, the story, the gameplay, it just had me hooked as id never experienced a game like it before, i know it really hasnt aged all that well, but that game, and then the Mysteries of the Sith expansion, followed by Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy etc, had me sold.

Age of Empires 2 is another close one, school friends started using gamespy and i followed suit, i must have lost months and months to playing AOE2 online, i was terrible, but i loved it, the campaign/map editor etc too.

And also the more obvious Sonic 2, i still remembering opening my megadrive for christmas in 1993 and being hooked from there.

Streets of Rage 2 - I've completed this game so many times on my old sega. My brother and I would try and beat the game punching only, jump kicking. So many hours wasted when I was younger.

Kung Fu - Trying to beat this game on my nintendo was so hard for me. I still hear the level music in my head when I think about this game.

Battletoads - SOOO much fun and SOOO hard to beat.