"You can take a sip from your Vault 13 canteen if you're thirsty"

Sgt Scyther

So I got the GameStop "Classic Pack" bonus and one of the items is a Vault 13 canteen that I assume, you can drink water from--especially since I keep seeing the above message. My question is kind of dumb but... how? I can't seem to select it. I can't hotkey it. I can't seem to do anything with it. How do you drink from this thing?

I haven't had to find any water so far.

Water is everywhere if you look. The tutorial has 3 wells, buildings contain irradiated water in toilets, sinks, and other sources. There is cola and the new drink sunset everywhere. Its very hard to go thirsty, just have to bring the stuff with you if you dont have the canteen (and even then I bring some cola for the healing + cap).

You can find water in bathrooms (sinks and toilets) , water sources like in goodsprings source, water bottles, food. Anytime an item says -xH20 it means it takes away the thirst. The canteen is automatically used, every 5 min you can see on top left corner saying you took a sip from your rusty vault 13 canteen.

it does a decent job of keeping you hydrated. Ive noticed however that if you do a lot of fast traveling and/or sleeping/waiting you still get dehydrated and need other sources of water to hydrate. In my 7 and a half hours Ive only gotten a blip into the Minor Dehydration sickness so overall they canteen is proving to be quite helpful IMO.

I read on a few sites that there is a canteen in-game, just not the "Vault 13" canteen. I can't confirm if this is true for certain but I've read it on gamespot and a few other forums. Has anyone seen it?

Regardless, I decided to go with the Caravan Pack and am happy with it. Yes on hardcore mode you need to hydrate every so often but almost every place I go has many ways to do so not to mention I keep a few supplies on me for food and hydration, so it's pretty much like clock-work (Hardcore mode).

Great game by the way.

• 4 years later...